Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Looks like May is pandering further to the DUP in an attempt to get her discredited deal past

Clearly the mood of the country is one UK and one EU - as I have always maintained.  Tricky job to navigate one's way to that sensible end point when you have factionalists like The SNP and The DUP as co-conspirators thwarting  you.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's also a disgrace that they are meeting the Chancellor.

If their votes change and NI suddenly gets more cash there should be fucking uproar.

They don't want NI treated any differently except when it comes to bungs from the UK government.

Both sides are saying that there’s no extra money involved in the talks.  I think that even they realise there’s a bridge too far.

So just peerages and other honours then.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Perhaps even take it over to the Indyref thread. I didnt know enough in 2014. I think I do now. Convince me otherwise

No need.  This thread is sufficient for the collective grievance group of The SNP, The DUP and the Brexit-supporting arseholes.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

No need.  This thread is sufficient for the collective grievance group of The SNP, The DUP and the Brexit-supporting arseholes.

Didn't think so. 

So that leaves you with "But theres been a Union for hunners of years" as the sole basis of your arguement. 

Maybe stay off the campaign trail. 

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's his point, surely?

Dinnae ken.

It's always hard to tell with him. My point was that he was lumping White Van Men together with the DUP and SNP as one big happy family. To the best of my knowledge the SNP and DUP voted to remain in the EU.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Dinnae ken.

It's always hard to tell with him. My point was that he was lumping White Van Men together with the DUP and SNP as one big happy family. To the best of my knowledge the SNP and DUP voted to remain in the EU.

I didn't take that out of - The DUP and white man van were leavers, SNP want to leave the UK, I'd hardly lump them as one big happy family, either. NI voted to remain in the EU.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I didn't take that out of - The DUP and white man van were leavers, SNP want to leave the UK, I'd hardly lump them as one big happy family, either. NI voted to remain in the EU.

I was arguing that they shouldn't be lumped together.

This was what he posted :

Anyway.  My stance has always been, 'One United Kingdom at the heart of Europe' so, of course, I lump those with a different view, be they DUP, SNP or English White Van Man, together.

I am aware, believe it or not, that the SNP want to leave the UK, but want to remain in the EU. I'm also aware that NI voted to remain - I will admit to not being sure how the DUP voted in the referendum and don't particularly care. All I know about them is that they wish to remain British, and they love orange walks.

Wouldn't worry too much about the DUP tbh. 'If' they cave in now and get her shabby deal across the line they will be finished in their own backyard, as irony of all ironies they will be the ones who have sold N.Ireland down the water, by making different arrangements for there and the rUK, and in the process allngning N.Irleand more closely with the Republic in EU terms, and thus making the case for a united Ireland stronger. Rather suspect if that happens that the Unionist vote will have to return to the UUP. It would be one of the most shameful volte faces in UK political history (and that's saying something), and for what? to line their own grubby pockets. Far better for them to continue holding out, voting down her deal again, and pushing for either a long extension or a revocation.

With regards to the saltire waving Yes voters haven't met many. A lot of folk rather saw and continue to see the economic benefits to Scotland, while continuing to make a case for staying in the EU and exricating ourselves from the utter farce which is Westminster.

Edited by Jedi

Wouldn't worry too much about the DUP tbh. 'If' they cave in now and get her shabby deal across the line they will be finished in their own backyard, as irony of all ironies they will be the ones who have sold N.Ireland down the water, by making different arrangements for there and the rUK, and in the process allngning N.Irleand more closely with the Republic in EU terms, and thus making the case for a united Ireland stronger. Rather suspect if that happens that the Unionist vote will have to return to the UUP. It would be one of the most shameful volte faces in UK political history (and that's saying something), and for what? to line their own grubby pockets. Far better for them to continue holding out, voting down her deal again, and pushing for either a long extension or a revocation.
With regards to the saltire waving Yes voters haven't met many. A lot of folk rather saw and continue to see the economic benefits to Scotland, while continuing to make a case for staying in the EU and exricating ourselves from the utter farce which is Westminster.

Disagree here. The majority of business and farming communities in the North of Ireland like the look of May's deal. DUP is likely to haemorrhage more support if they don't back her deal albeit there will still be a chunk of right wing flag waivers who will vehemently lap the party up.

Still allows the UUP to spin the line that they have accepted different arrangements for N.Ireland though. After saying that was their red line throughout they will be a laughing stock if they reverse gears now.

Still reckon her deal will be voted down by around 100 on Tuesday. The 'scare' tactic at the moment of a long extension wont wash with enough MPs. Next round will no doubt be the following week when she drags exactly the same deal back for round 4. Losing by over 200, and then 149 looks too big to completely turn around. There must be enough 'Remain' MPs in the House who won't back it under any circumstances. Labour meanwhile have pretty much given up now...no 2nd Ref, and no chance of them getting 'their' version of Brexit with the customs union etc heard.

Suppose a lot could hinge on what the EU say on Thursday. If they offer a two year extension (not guaranteed), it should be enough for the Remainers to get on board, in the hope that the whole thing will be torpedoed long before 2021.

Edited by Jedi

48 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Still allows the UUP to spin the line that they have accepted different arrangements for N.Ireland though. After saying that was their red line throughout they will be a laughing stock if they reverse gears now.

Still reckon her deal will be voted down by around 100 on Tuesday. The 'scare' tactic at the moment of a long extension wont wash with enough MPs. Next round will no doubt be the following week when she drags exactly the same deal back for round 4. Losing by over 200, and then 149 looks too big to completely turn around. There must be enough 'Remain' MPs in the House who won't back it under any circumstances. Labour meanwhile have pretty much given up now...no 2nd Ref, and no chance of them getting 'their' version of Brexit with the customs union etc heard.

Suppose a lot could hinge on what the EU say on Thursday. If they offer a two year extension (not guaranteed), it should be enough for the Remainers to get on board, in the hope that the whole thing will be torpedoed long before 2021.

Except from what I've seen the UUP haven't diverted from the DUP position by a bawhair. Missed opportunity imo. The SDLP should have been getting in there as well with Sinn Fein standing back and laughing. I could see the DUP and enough ERG members folding on Tuesday and Labour weirdos to take it over the line. If not the Speaker could well refuse a 4th try on May's bill and we'll be in for a long extension and a constitutional crisis leading to a General Election! Popcorn at the ready! 

14 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Because they are not the only , "factionalists and secessionists" who have plagued Britain and undermined economic confidence over the past 6 years.

The massive miscalculation was really David Cameron's in holding the two referenda in the manner in which he did. The independence referendum should have been a warning signal that the side with the rational arguments could lose the Brexit one to the side with the irrational emotional appeal.