Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Economists get things wrong all the time. The question is would we have been better off now if we'd voted remain, given the fall in investment and postponement of new projects.

Yes.  Like the answer to so many other questions.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Sane folk up here generally voted yes, and remain.

Your continued attempts to equate these two entirely different political agendas is to the detriment of your high moral standing on these threads.

"high moral standing "?  Really?  That would be a first for me...

Anyway.  My stance has always been, 'One United Kingdom at the heart of Europe' so, of course, I lump those with a different view, be they DUP, SNP or English White Van Man, together.

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think there would be a majority in the Commons to revoke article 50? I doubt European countries concerned for their citizens living here would want to risk that. I'm not even sure if there's a mechanism for that to be put to the house, May certainly wouldn't. There will be an extension or hard brexit imo.

After her deal is bombed out again on Tuesday and it becomes either revoke or Leave with no deal, still reckon there can be a majority built for revocation.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Economists get things wrong all the time. The question is would we have been better off now if we'd voted remain, given the fall in investment and postponement of new projects.

No-one can say for certain. Only guess.

You can only know what did happen.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

No-one can say for certain. Only guess.

You can only know what did happen.

Well we know there's been less investment than there would have been but for the uncertainty over Brexit. That's a fact.

Edited by welshbairn

Anyway.  My stance has always been, 'One United Kingdom at the heart of Europe' so, of course, I lump those with a different view, be they DUP, SNP or English White Van Man, together.

Weird omission of all the posh high Tories who gleefully voted for Brexit here.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well we know there's been less investment than there would have been but for the uncertainty over Brexit. That's a fact.

Quite possibly but even that wouldn't guarantee we'd be in a better position given the amount of time investment can take to pay back. 

We also don't know how much the global uncertainty has affected our economy. There are so many factors to consider. I'm never certain about anything. Far more questions than answers. That's why I come on here to find out what other folk believe to be the facts. So many folk on here seem to know for 

40 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

That's a Spectator think piece column with as much evidence for its claims as Ayrmad famously provides for his.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/26/goldman-sachs-forecasts-uk-recession-in-2017-downgrades-global-growth-forecasts.html

but later.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/09/city-banks-revise-brexit-doom-and-gloom-forecasts

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'll not argue semantics over what you're calling a fact but there's certainly been  a lot of companies blaming Brexit for a lack of investment. Uncertainty does that. Whether it's Brexit or other global factors. You can never tell exactly how much the many other things have influenced the decisions. Much like the car industries pulling out was blamed entirely on Brexit in some quarters ignoring the changing world for diesel.

4 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'll not argue semantics over what you're calling a fact but there's certainly been  a lot of companies blaming Brexit for a lack of investment. Uncertainty does that. Whether it's Brexit or other global factors. You can never tell exactly how much the many other things have influenced the decisions. Much like the car industries pulling out was blamed entirely on Brexit in some quarters ignoring the changing world for diesel.

Would the European Medicines Agency have left without Brexit?

56 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

46 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes.  Like the answer to so many other questions.

^

Good job we didn't all vote the same way you did.

;)

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Weird omission of all the posh high Tories who gleefully voted for Brexit here.

Well my list was indicative rather than exhaustive, of course.  BUT your point does chime with a notion I have which is that the leave vote was dominated by pensioners, the unemployed, the independently wealthy and self-employed tradesmen.  I have never met anyone who works for a company trading outside of The UK who thinks that leaving the world's biggest self-interest  group is a good idea.

By way of balance, I have never met any Yes voter who isn't a Saltire-waving fandan with a warped view of history and a list of Scottish inventions over the years in his back pocket.

42 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Didn't most English White Van Men vote to leave?

ayrmad [emoji38]
This.

I skipped a few pages as my I was in danger of entering a cringe convulsion, so things may have moved on... But he is next level, spectacularly thick isnt he?

Up there with the time Cuddy slapped him about.