Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

As usual with these things, the comment section provides some gold...

Fiona Brooks  Tony  2 days ago

I actually walked out of the building on voting day without voting ,two council members who was overlooking the polls was actually whispering and I heard it ,no matter what we voted it was fixed they already pulled out before we heard about it the votes came after to just cover their ass's ,if what they was saying was true then we was duped and I left very angry without voting didn't see the point in wasting my time any further on a vote that was pointless

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, at 12, didn't know that. But I'm sure there isn't a rule about it.

was there not something about Tony Blair having to convert to Catholicism only once he was no longer PM as he couldn't do so while still in office?

edit: found this after a quick google - it's a bit vague and also from 2007 so may very well be outdated now, but I vividly mind my old History teacher saying similar:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-blair/tony-blair-converts-to-catholicism-idUSL2219085420071222

"Political commentators have also suggested Blair had been unwilling to make the move while he was still in power because some lawyers believed that 19th century laws could actually prevent a Catholic from becoming prime minister.

It was also thought a conversion could have provoked a conflict with his role in appointing Anglican bishops and he might have also felt the need to tread carefully while mediating in the Northern Ireland peace process between the province’s Catholic and Protestant communities."

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Actually, as the Facebook status says "It's complicated". Firstly, lets take it that the question is about legal impediments and not cultural impediments, or an attitude of the electorate. I don't think the latter applies. Lets also put the Disraeli argument to rest; it is in fact the case the religious Jews also have impediments to becoming prime minister, but Disraeli was an Anglican convert since the age of 12. 

The laws which may prohibit Catholics or Jews from becoming Prime Minister are religious and sectarian in nature, but arise out of the emancipation laws for both groups. The relief acts allows Catholics ( and later Jews but I will concentrate on Catholics) to run for parliament but prohibited certain offices, and most relevantly prohibited a Catholic from advising the Queen or King on the the choice of Anglican Bishops when the position needs filling. Since the Queen no longer in reality chooses the Anglican Lords but does in Law still sign off on them, this seems to prohibit the advisor being the Prime Minister, and possibly excludes any member of a  Cabinet led by a Catholic PM. It could be argued that the PM could recuse from Cabinet meetings, or delegate someone else, but modern cabinets are chosen by the prime minister, not chosen by the Monarch.  The extent to how collegial the cabinet is depends on the PM, but in reality the PM is he head of Government, not just first amongst equals. It's not very equal. He can fire his sub-ordinates, and re-shuffle them at will. 

Still, some reports on this suggest that in the event of a Catholic prime minister the cabinet office of Lord Chancellor ( prohibited from being Catholic) could advise the Queen.  Thats a possible solution, however he is still a cabinet member, and could of course be influenced by the PM, and there lies the complication. Although the Relief Act didn't say that how deep the influence of Catholicism could go, nevertheless special arrangements would have to be made to ensure that the PM did not advise the Crown directly or indirectly on Church of England appointments, doing so under the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829 remains a “high misdemeanour”.

So, we're back to "It's complicated.  Blair didn't bother risking it, so he converted after he left the Office.

54 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

was there not something about Tony Blair having to convert to Catholicism only once he was no longer PM as he couldn't do so while still in office?

Seems a bit unfair that he was allowed to convert to Neoconservatism in office but not Catholicism.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

James Callaghan was a lapsed RC, who started going to Protestant church services later in life, so there is a more recent RC parallel to Disraeli.

Was wondering about him.

6 minutes ago, sophia said:

Lisa Nandy, Labour MP for Wigan, giving a government minister laldy on BBC parliament channel.

A right boring fucker following. 99% of MP's just talk shite about process. They've been just as useless as May.

A right boring fucker following. 99% of MP's just talk shite about process. They've been just as useless as May.

She might not add much to the debate, but she sure knows how to fill out an expenses claim form though!
Don’t know how these f*ckers keep a straight face, banging on about the stories of hardship ‘they hear on the doorstep’ due to austerity, whilst absolutely ripping the f* k out of the public purse.

4 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Very borderline.

I don't know how old this photo is, but she's more than passable.

See the source image

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

I'd rather have the pizzas.

Maybe after...

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

Feared that there would be another three weeks of essentially 'nothing' happening, and it still looks that way at the moment...

She won't resign, won't be bound by indicative votes (even if a 2nd Ref emerged as a favourite), won't essentially remove no deal scenario, and probably won't hold another vote on her deal until as close to April 12th as possible,

Only outcome looks to be a longer extension of up to 2 years, and surely a GE later this year. Meanwhile the UK has to take part in the Euro elections in May.

Her deal will be bombed out again in the week of April 12th, so longer extension appears to be the only current route. 

She says she won't be bound by indicative votes, but since legally the original referendum was non-binding, does that not make that an indicative vote?