Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

For a while now I have thought it will be a no deal brexit.  I really hope I am wrong but it looks like we are heading that way on October the 31st. 
The no deal situation will be disastrous as many of you realise.  On the 1st of November we will have left the EU and that is only the beginning of brexit.  The shit starts then for many years to come.  
There will probably be a lack of food as we import most of it from the EU and if it somehow makes it's way across the border then it will possibly be past its best.  We import a lot of medicine from the EU and this will probably result in a short supply to hospitals, and the knock on effect to patients that can't get the treatment they need.  
A huge increase in paperwork for everything leaving and entering the uk which will result in delays at ports and airports.  Will the EU accept a uk drivers license when driving abroad?  Will various uk qualifications (Construction, Engineering, Medical etc) be recognised in other EU states in the event of a no deal?  I think the EU could quite fairly turn round and tell us to f**k off if we leave on a no deal basis.  
The "£39 billion" that we will save each week will have to be paid to the EU anyway, otherwise they won't even begin to consider talks about a trading agreement. 
It's all fucked up.  

Apparently given the lack of planning, the impact of no deal on ports in the UK will be devastating, a few minutes hold up at the customs area would lead to incredible delays in a ripple effect. Transporting any live stock will need a vet report, I heard one example that every single sheep/prawn will need to be accounted for and this may involve individual checks depending on the deal? Imagine checking 20,000 langoustine ffs.

Best to stock up on plenty of tinned goods and other non-perishables, just in case. Boris is clearly hoping the EU blinks first, but they almost certainly won't. The Tory right is about to get a reality on how important the UK is nowadays in the big scheme of things, i.e. not very. Problem is they are taking the rest of us with them.

46 minutes ago, harry94 said:

It was obtained legally by Facebook, not by Cambridge Analytica. When you sign up to social media, you don't agree to hand over your data to political campaigns.

It's not even a grey area, it's blatantly illegal as f**k.

That'll be why there have been zero criminal charges. The fine was for going against the spirit of an earlier formal judgement. They are still free to share data with third parties. Democrats criticised the fine as being insufficient and said new regulation is required as the current law doesn't limit that.

When you sign up to Facebook you agree to them selling your data to anyone they want. That's the entire point of it.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That'll be why there have been zero criminal charges.

There is currently a criminal investigation taking place in the US based on the findings of the trade commission which gave a $5 billion dollar fine.

The fine was for going against the spirit of an earlier formal judgement.

No it wasn't, not in the UK at least. They violated data protection, it was an open and shut case in which the maximum fine was applied.

TThey are still free to share data with third parties......

When you sign up to Facebook you agree to them selling your data to anyone they want. That's the entire point of it.

They are allowed to share/sell some data on but you are completely wrong, they aren't legally allowed to do whatever they want to your data. Facebook have ever argued this as a point of defence at any point and have conceded that the process was illegal - they just put the blame onto Cambridge Analytica and claim that they were misled about it being put to commercial/political use, instead stating that they believed that it was for an academic study.

You are the 'product' when you agree to terms of service with Facebook but the agreement stretches as far as companies having access to you in terms of advertisement etc, there's boundaries with data protection laws on using consumer data for whatever you want in the EU and even USA.

They are allowed to share/sell some data on but you are completely wrong, they aren't legally allowed to do whatever they want to your data. Facebook have ever argued this as a point of defence at any point and have conceded that the process was illegal - they just put the blame onto Cambridge Analytica and claim that they were misled about it being put to commercial/political use, instead stating that they believed that it was for an academic study.
You are the 'product' when you agree to terms of service with Facebook but the agreement stretches as far as companies having access to you in terms of advertisement etc, there's boundaries with data protection laws on using consumer data for whatever you want in the EU and even USA.
I dont disagree that they probably did something technically illegal. It's the leap that it somehow changed the result I have a problem with. It is newsworthy but it's being overplayed I feel. Runs in the same category as Russia winning it for trump etc. Rather than accept many people actually hold views contrary (sometimes horrific) and a collection of these views won or got a majority they don't like, they'd rather blame some campaign tool within a campaign tool .

The vast majority of folk probably didn't even watch debates or engage on social media.

PI is only really now being properly understood as legal dynamite. It's a good thing it's being protected. And this story has helped that happen but did it change the brexit result? For me, no way. Just my opinion.

And I don't think people could really be so naive to think Facebook isn't selling their data so I'm not livid about it.

They are allowed to share/sell some data on but you are completely wrong, they aren't legally allowed to do whatever they want to your data.

This is pish. Facebook cannot sell your data and their privacy policy states that they don’t sell any of your data.

They can pass it to certain agreed third parties for reasons explained in the privacy notice and these third parties themselves have to have their own privacy policies explaining what they’ll do with it, why they need it, how long they’ll keep it and who else they might pass it to.

ETA

If you are aware of your data being sold by Facebook, you should get in touch with the ICO.

Yip. West coast creepers better hope domestic tastes get sophisticated fast, they're not exporting shit to the EU if it's a no deal.
Local chippy menus would certainly appeal to me.
f**k knows what a langoustine supper would cost though.

10 hours ago, get_the_subbies_on said:

This is pish. Facebook cannot sell your data and their privacy policy states that they don’t sell any of your data.

They can pass it to certain agreed third parties for reasons explained in the privacy notice and these third parties themselves have to have their own privacy policies explaining what they’ll do with it, why they need it, how long they’ll keep it and who else they might pass it to.

ETA

If you are aware of your data being sold by Facebook, you should get in touch with the ICO.

This is what I was getting at in the rest of the post.

In theory, they can move it on but like you say, it has to adhere to certain standards and that's where the law was broken.

12 hours ago, tirso said:

I dont disagree that they probably did something technically illegal. It's the leap that it somehow changed the result I have a problem with. It is newsworthy but it's being overplayed I feel. Runs in the same category as Russia winning it for trump etc. Rather than accept many people actually hold views contrary (sometimes horrific) and a collection of these views won or got a majority they don't like, they'd rather blame some campaign tool within a campaign tool .

The vast majority of folk probably didn't even watch debates or engage on social media.

PI is only really now being properly understood as legal dynamite. It's a good thing it's being protected. And this story has helped that happen but did it change the brexit result? For me, no way. Just my opinion.

And I don't think people could really be so naive to think Facebook isn't selling their data so I'm not livid about it.

I don't think it's productive to be 'winging' about it and I think the horse has probably bolted but it's very possible for it to be used as a tool to make a tangible difference in the outcome of any election and I think we're always at risk of that and this should absolutely be pursued at maximum throttle to try and limit this in the future. Our election laws and mechanisms for handing out fines are based on someone going around and spending a bit too much money on a newspaper advertisement with a paper trail and maybe a slightly misleading statement attached, they aren't equipped to deal with social media and anyone in the world be able to say what they want without anyone knowing their identity - add into that tools like the personality profiling and there's definitely oversight needed.

We're talking very very small swings of voters making a very large change. Based on the 2017 General Election, a 2-3% swing from Tory to Brexit Party could possibly give Labour a majority government; in Scotland, the independence majority in parliament is gone if 2-3% of SNP voters somehow get persuaded to stay at home; in the US, Trump took Michigan by ~0.25%. It doesn't really matter what election it is, you are usually talking a very small percentage of voters that changes the outcome - most people have made up their mind already.

Another issue with this stuff is the lack of transparency makes the game even more sinister. If Labour are allowed to use these tools for example, they'd possibly be in a situation where they are campaigning for the Brexit Party by stealth as that's their route to victory. Back in 2016, there were targeted advertisements towards Haitian females in Florida that alleged that the Clinton Foundation stole Haitian money and were also running their peadophile ring from there - not to win Trump supporters but to make natural Clinton supporters stay at home. There was also quite a bit of promotion for certain third party candidates that clearly didn't have the funding to sustain an operation themselves - the idea being to try and sustain the green vote to take away from Clinton. We don't know the full extent as it disappears without a trace and is very directly targeted that we can't really gauge the scale of what's out there, .

I get that there has always been a very prominent element of being dishonest in elections and trying to lie where you can but this is a scale and sophistication never seen before I'd argue.

15 hours ago, ayrmad said:

tbf, to someone who isn't really following it that closely, no deal would/could be taken as the opposite of a deal, most folk aren't that interested in what's going on, that's why a large chunk don't vote, a large chunk vote without knowing what they're really voting for and a small % vote due to knowing what they're really voting for.

Ths boils my pish. You're correct that they don't give a monkey's chuff what is actually happening, but will defend to the death their right to "take back control" (which we never lost) and "teach those bloody frogs/krauts/tallys a lesson".

And do you know what? In a few years, when the NHS is fuked, when you'll need a fiver to buy a Euro, and getting on the property ladder means staking a claim to a piece of pavement, they'll be ranting in the queue for their rations how it's "all the fuckíng fault of those fúcking foreigners". Given that Johnson was spawned in New York, and Patel and Javid are of immigrant stock, this claim, by their standards, will be partly correct.

Speaking of pish being boiled...reports of another £2.1 billion set aside for Brexit preparations including half a billion pounds of taxpayers money to buy British lamb which can’t be sold to the EU and we’ve nowhere to store it.
f**k me. Taxpayers money to save British farmers who weren’t needing saved until many of them voted to leave the EU.

Total of about £6.3 billion pounds since 2016 on Brexit prep.
Fucking, fucking madness. If successive governments had spent that kind of money in the deprived areas of the north of England, we wouldn’t be in this kind of shit.

No magic money tree my arse.

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Speaking of pish being boiled...reports of another £2.1 billion set aside for Brexit preparations including half a billion pounds of taxpayers money to buy British lamb which can’t be sold to the EU and we’ve nowhere to store it.
f**k me. Taxpayers money to save British farmers who weren’t needing saved until many of them voted to leave the EU.

Total of about £6.3 billion pounds since 2016 on Brexit prep.
Fucking, fucking madness. If successive governments had spent that kind of money in the deprived areas of the north of England, we wouldn’t be in this kind of shit.

No magic money tree my arse.

Aye but we should get that back in a few weeks according to the bus.

Anyone have a pro Brexiteer on their FB who admits they were wrong/duped yet?

I do like the fact that FB keeps a history log of all their shite for when they try to deny how they voted and encouraged others to do likewise.

They will be the 1st ones I turn too when the shit really starts to hit the fan.

Hopefully many delete me.

The penny will drop for those of the penny arcade.

18 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Apparently given the lack of planning, the impact of no deal on ports in the UK will be devastating, a few minutes hold up at the customs area would lead to incredible delays in a ripple effect. Transporting any live stock will need a vet report, I heard one example that every single sheep/prawn will need to be accounted for and this may involve individual checks depending on the deal? Imagine checking 20,000 langoustine ffs.

Nae problem.  You can tell a lot about a langoustine by looking at its facial expression. 😉

13 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I do like the fact that FB keeps a history log of all their shite for when they try to deny how they voted and encouraged others to do likewise.

They will be the 1st ones I turn too when the shit really starts to hit the fan.

I made a decision a couple of years ago that I would be very inactive in making Facebook friends, apart from a handful.

One of them was someone from 40 years ago. We were friends then, worked at the same place, then we both moved on and away.

He chose the corporate life.., joined a company, stayed there and became the CEO.  I hated corporate life, chose freelancing, and worked here there

and everywhere.   Over the last 18 months his Facebook feed has become  a list of all the Brexiteer stuff, anti-Islamic.  

I wondered who it was that I'd actually made friends with in the first place.

I  searched round, and found that like his father, he'd become a mason, and was very active.

At that point, a few months back, I removed him as a Facebook friend.

And no, he's not changed his views one bit.

Edited by beefybake

45 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

The thing is, it's not going away. They will just start to say that it wasn't real Brexit and their version was the right one. There's fertile ground for someone like Farage to continue a movement of 'real Brexit' if the solution we come to is anything less than bricking up the Channel Tunnel.

Most Leavers I know are just fucking loudmouths who wouldn't admit to getting anything wrong.

I hope my gut is right but I have a feeling there are a large number of secret Leave voters who regret voting the way they did.