Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

56 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

That is staggering. Imagine a charity set up to save people spending money helping save people from drowning in poor countries. The horror....

2% of the budget - I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist. If people don't know where the money goes it's on their website and in their accounts, it's not like it's being hidden. It was only recently I found out the RNLI operates in the RoI - didn't stop me donating, a charity is a charity.

There was a debate about this on Radio Ulster's Talkback today, first and only time I've agreed with everything Jim Wells has said. (He was all for the RNLI and commended their efforts - everywhere - and will continue to donate.)

ETA: Apparently the work in Zanzibar was funded completely by one donor.

Edited by Jacksgranda

"The Royal National Lifeboat Institute has come under fire from some quarters for its attempts to save children from drowning abroad"

In an age of sensationalist clickbait, nice to see at least one headline writer realising you sometimes just need to point out madness in a deadpan, matter of fact way to really drive your message home.

Tbf it leaves out the Burkini thing but I'd hazard a guess that's a fraction of the 2% spent abroad anyway. A heady mixture of soulless monsters and the sane in the Twitter comments too.

Edit: hooo boy

"7 hours ago
caitlin1996
how many of our children do other country's save? are you a racist for not demanding they pay to save our children too then? 

double standards from the left as always"

I mean im not an expert but

i) why bring up "the left" as some sort of homogenous entity

ii) i would hazard a guess that there might, just might, be some differences between seafaring and swimming abroad in less developed countries than britain. Weather conditions, training requirements and availability to lifeguards and pilots, quality of the vehicles and equipment used for example by fishermen...

iii) sorta feels to me that you judge a charity almost wholly in isolation on its activities and that the deeper point could be "why are these organisations having to be funded by charity when there are businesses out there sitting on colossal capital reserves that arent doing anything productive" or point out the piss poor tax take from most big name companies which if increased to a fairer reflection of the ordinary activity of these businesses could be used to fund similar projects rather than lining the pockets of shareholders/owners.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 minute ago, resk said:
5 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Luxembourg PM ripping into Johnson and Cameron for this mess.

Sum boi. Verge of tears tho.

He isnt holding back. He's ripping right into our political class. If there are tears it is frustration.

Edited by Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Boris running scared from protesters.  What an utterly cowardly fuckwit he is.

Can't remember where I saw it but there's a tweet from someone saying their favorite episode of the Incredible Hulk was the one where he was confronted by a small group of protesters and ran away.

52 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

And yet the BBC seem to be treating her as a player, and her Party as relevant. Not so pleasing.

Do the Lib Dems seriously think they will win the next election? They'll end up with the same amount of seats they won at the last one, or less, these 21(?) blow ins will be blown away. As will all the independents.

I suppose they could be in a coalition but I'm not sure with whom, obviously not the conservatives and there can't be much love lost between them and Labour, a Labour/SNP pact/deal/coalition looks more likely.

Assuming of course that the conservatives don't secure a majority. Don't know how the Brexit Party will fare, probably not as well as many people expect/fear.

Do the Lib Dems seriously think they will win the next election? They'll end up with the same amount of seats they won at the last one, or less, these 21(?) blow ins will be blown away. As will all the independents.
I suppose they could be in a coalition but I'm not sure with whom, obviously not the conservatives and there can't be much love lost between them and Labour, a Labour/SNP pact/deal/coalition looks more likely.
Assuming of course that the conservatives don't secure a majority. Don't know how the Brexit Party will fare, probably not as well as many people expect/fear.
The Brexit Party will be gubbed - most voters use European elections to register protest, Viz the Referendum, but tend to treat GE's much more seriously. By the time we reach a GE hopefully every passing day will drive a nail into the general Brexit coffin.

There's some smooth brain on Twitter arguing that Swinson's delusional EU strategy is actually 12D chess to make a second referendum the moderate option. 

That sort of “12D chess” was May’s strategy to try and get her deal through.

Tell the Remainers to back it because it’s better than no deal.

Tell the Brexiteers to back it because it’s better than not leaving at all.

In the end neither backed it.