Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

IDS makes a good point about the Supreme Court conveniently forgetting about the possibility of a VONC.

That would be delving into politics big style. The simple question was whether the prorogation was legal or not, and whether its effect was to stop Parliament from doing its duty.

Just now, welshbairn said:

That would be delving into politics big style. The simple question was whether the prorogation was legal or not, and whether its effect was to stop Parliament from doing its duty.

Confidence votes are surely part of the constitution?

It's impossible to say that Parliament was stymied when they knew about the prorogation, had the opportunity to withdraw confidence in the government and choose not to.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's impossible to say that Parliament was stymied when they knew about the prorogation, had the opportunity to withdraw confidence in the government and choose not to.

They made a political choice not to call a VONC until a no deal brexit on Oct 31st is off the table. That has nothing to do with the Supreme Court case. 

18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm assuming you already know this, but I'll spell out exactly why there couldn't be a VONC.

After a VONC, there is a 14 day period for either the existing government to regain confidence of the house, or a new government to gain it. The existing PM, however, does not have to resign to give someone else a chance at forming a government.

After the 14 days an election is triggered, where Boris can pick the date as he pleases. Hence in a VONC situation Boris can effectively just make an election happen in November and crash out without a deal. This is why VONC isn't a option until the immediate threat of no deal is taken off the table.

The FTPA has created a situation where you have a government that de facto does not enjoy the confidence of the HOC but de jure enjoys the confidence of the house, and that seems to be what the Tories are seething about as a "constitutional threat". I'd argue it's not even a bad thing as Scotland has shown for 7 of the past 12 years that having a government without an absolute majority can absolutely be a good thing.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Putting Brexit to one side, and I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but with this supreme court ruling does it mean that any wealthy individual in future can take the government to court?

I think anybody has always been able to take th egovernment to court, surely?

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You definitely need money.

Yeah but that goes for pretty much any court action unless you can find someone to fund you. In principle, anyone can take the government to court though.

Companies do it relatively routinely.

Edited by Gordon EF

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Putting Brexit to one side, and I don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but with this supreme court ruling does it mean that any wealthy individual in future can take the government to court?

The likes of the Daily Mail (surprise surprise) were "outraged" about this and did run a succession of stories about how their nemesis Gina Miller and the "elite" could pervert the law and overrule Government if they didn't fancy something.

"Democracy is dead", "The day Democracy died", etc, etc.

I always find it highly amusing when they refer to all on the Remain side as the "elite" as if all the Brexiteer mob are just ordinary working class punters just out to earn a decent crust....................

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I'm assuming you already know this, but I'll spell out exactly why there couldn't be a VONC.

After a VONC, there is a 14 day period for either the existing government to regain confidence of the house, or a new government to gain it. The existing PM, however, does not have to resign to give someone else a chance at forming a government.

After the 14 days an election is triggered, where Boris can pick the date as he pleases. Hence in a VONC situation Boris can effectively just make an election happen in November and crash out without a deal. This is why VONC isn't a option until the immediate threat of no deal is taken off the table.

The FTPA has created a situation where you have a government that de facto does not enjoy the confidence of the HOC but de jure enjoys the confidence of the house, and that seems to be what the Tories are seething about as a "constitutional threat". I'd argue it's not even a bad thing as Scotland has shown for 7 of the past 12 years that having a government without an absolute majority can absolutely be a good thing.

Bit of bummer that there appears to be a potential loop hole in the Benn act really but it’s amendable. After that’s achieved hopefully we’ll get our General Election but there are varied interests at play here, as always.

Edited by Londonwell

29 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What "loop hole" are you on about?

To quote Joylon Maugham , “that if a withdrawal agreement is approved by the commons on, or prior to October 19, the obligation in the Benn Act for the PM to request an extension falls away.”

Which has raised concerns that the mad Brexiteers could exploit the need to pass further legislation by Oct 31 and block votes thereby crashing out without a deal.

That is what a lot of opposition MP’s are concerned about. Others, of course, are worried about losing their seat.

Edited by Londonwell

56 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

To quote Joylon Maugham , “that if a withdrawal agreement is approved by the commons on, or prior to October 19, the obligation in the Benn Act for the PM to request an extension falls away.”

Which has raised concerns that the mad Brexiteers could exploit the need to pass further legislation by Oct 31 and block votes thereby crashing out without a deal.

That is what a lot of opposition MP’s are concerned about. Others, of course, are worried about losing their seat.

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This loophole would rely on MPs approving a withdrawal agreement.

Now, there are 329 explicitly anti-no deal MPs, that's the number who backed the Benn bill. 

If Boris brings back the WA and gets the Brexiteers to vote it through, these 329 will know exactly what Boris is doing and vote against the WA accordingly.