Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Most people, including many of his own supporters, will see the unsigned letter as boorish and immature.

The Labour MPs who abstained are more likely to come down on Johnson’s side in a vote on a confirmatory referendum.

The best bet is for the EU27 to say no to a further extension and Parliament to face a stark No Deal v Revoke position. 

The Daily Telegraph have an opinion piece today titled ' why can't Boris's critics see him for the Churchillian figure he is ?'

Hahahahaha.

52 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The Daily Telegraph have an opinion piece today titled ' why can't Boris's critics see him for the Churchillian figure he is ?'

Hahahahaha.

The Telegraph is Johnson’s Fox News to his Trump.

In his short term as PM he has got the strategy wrong time after time.  The various defeats, the illegal prorogation (where he then questioned the unanimous verdict), the sacking of 21 Tory MPs and, most recently, trying to bounce Parliament into a decision.

The 500+ page document they were having to consider was only available yesterday morning!

ETA very Churchillian.  Not.

Edited by Granny Danger

12 hours ago, Kejan said:

I'm sure I joined this forum to talk about football, but end up in here most of the time.

Interesting though

Makes me wonder if the likes of him, David Gauke, etc who were seemingly willing to vote for this deal (and I think it would have passed by about 10 votes if it went ahead today) will then back the deal when it comes again?

It is staggering how many Tory MPs voted yesterday for what is in their own words  a bad deal. Now three of the Tory rebels :rolleyes: (Boles, Gauke & Letwin) have publicly declared they are prepared to vote for this deal - unless I've missed some that's only 6 more required for Johnson to have a majority. BJ might very well be able to get his deal through Parliament unless it can be derailed at the Committee stage. 

I wonder how both sides would react this week if a VoNC was called...

EDIIT - 5 more as I see Amber Rudd says she'll support the Bill now...

Edited by btb

Not very convincing rumours that the DUP might support a confirmatory referendum, being far stauncher on avoiding a border in the Irish Sea than getting out of Europe. Would make next week very interesting. 

P.S. Just as I wrote that they started talking about it on the BBC. Spooky.

Edited by welshbairn

Please stop referring to him as "BJ". That's a really unpleasant image. "Johnson" will do.

No, FFS, that's almost as bad. Why does everything about that man have to be something to do with willies?

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Please stop referring to him as "BJ". That's a really unpleasant image. "Johnson" will do.

No, FFS, that's almost as bad. Why does everything about that man have to be something to do with willies?

Because he's a massive bellend. 

I think the biggest problem with a second referendum may be the assumption that remain will win and many people will not bother to vote and we will be in the exact same mess.  Leavers will be out in force to vote.  Remainers not so much.  

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The opposition could force anything they wanted if they could agree on what to do. That's been the most annoying thing over the last 3 years.

Aye, but it's crystal clear that Corbyn doesn't want to because he might get beat. It's hard to imagine a situation where, since last November, the govt has been repeatedly booted in the baws but is still in power. That is only the case because Labour continue to prefer to kill stuff off rather than have the chalice handed to them.  Johnson should just list the number of key votes his party has lost (including the ones he cost them when May was in charge). Then he should tell the house that as it clearly doesn't carry confidence in the tories, he's content to call the motion of no confidence. Not because he believes it but because it's the only way to establish confidence. Then he can watch Labour twitch and, if they vote confidence in him, shoot themselves in both feet rather than just the usual one. 

Or am I missing something in how parliament works which would prevent Ditchboy standing again?

6 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

I think the biggest problem with a second referendum may be the assumption that remain will win and many people will not bother to vote and we will be in the exact same mess.  Leavers will be out in force to vote.  Remainers not so much.  

Remain will run as shitty a campaign as the last time and Leave will get professionals in to run theirs. Other problem is how can you have a Government who can't win a single vote for the 6 months it will take to set it up, unless they tell the Electoral Commission to pull their finger out and sort it in 2.

Remain will run as shitty a campaign as the last time and Leave will get professionals in to run theirs. Other problem is how can you have a Government who can't win a single vote for the 6 months it will take to set it up, unless they tell the Electoral Commission to pull their finger out and sort it in 2.
Aaron Banks will try to cheat it again.

Watch the lies come out again - my only hope is that Labour come out far more positively for Remain

I totally disagree and I would expect Remain to prevail by a margin. I suspect Johnson and Co know this too and that's why they are desperate, utterly desperate to have this deal pass Parliament without any such caveats.

I pray that we get the chance to put our opinions to the test.

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Aye, but it's crystal clear that Corbyn doesn't want to because he might get beat. It's hard to imagine a situation where, since last November, the govt has been repeatedly booted in the baws but is still in power. That is only the case because Labour continue to prefer to kill stuff off rather than have the chalice handed to them.  Johnson should just list the number of key votes his party has lost (including the ones he cost them when May was in charge). Then he should tell the house that as it clearly doesn't carry confidence in the tories, he's content to call the motion of no confidence. Not because he believes it but because it's the only way to establish confidence. Then he can watch Labour twitch and, if they vote confidence in him, shoot themselves in both feet rather than just the usual one. 

Or am I missing something in how parliament works which would prevent Ditchboy standing again?

Political truism..... : Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them ( by accumulation of what Harold Macmillan referred to as ... "Events, dear boy..."

The chalice is Brexit.  The Conservatives poured the poison into the chalice. It's  for them to drink from it.   Not Labour.

Edited by beefybake