Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm talking about changes in labour share of GDP and income/wealth inequality since the advent of the EU which have been undeniably regressive. 

Did the EU make happen in North America too?

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Agricultural products is not a single classification, it is much more sensible.  i.e. Fruit such as apples (0808.10) or dried fruit - apples (0813.30) can be subject to tarrifs whereas pears (0808.30) could be exempt.

The idea that you cannot protect against specific imports if using WTO rules is to not understand what the WTO rules are for.  You cannot discriminate against sources of trade (unless part of a inclusive trade agreement), you can discriminate on the objects of trade.

Agree, and i never suggested otherwise  but the tories unofficial proposal is to go tarrif free across the board. As i said before, they can try to protect individual things but doing that makes getting trade deals harder.  We could try to protect lamb but that wouldn't help a deal with NZ. 

Zero tarrifs across the board would reduce anyones incentive to do a deal with us, so it's a terrible idea for that reason too. 

In all honesty cannot think what export goods england really have, most stuff like white goods & things are either manufactured elsewhere or if in the UK owned by foreign companies. We have whiskey in Scotland but would be interested to know what the UK leads the world in product wise.

39 minutes ago, peternapper said:

In all honesty cannot think what export goods england really have, most stuff like white goods & things are either manufactured elsewhere or if in the UK owned by foreign companies. We have whiskey in Scotland but would be interested to know what the UK leads the world in product wise.

The EU will buckle under when their population struggle to get hold of their regular supplies of Melton Mowbray pies.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Yup. It's no deal versus deal or postponement, I'm betting that there will be a deal or postponement.

Okay, I'll take you up on that, although I accept some kind crap deal could be cobbled together at the 11th hour.

So........  £10 to the charity of your choice in the event of a deal or a postponement, and if you would be so kind as to donate to any charity that supports homeless ex-pat Scots in the event of a No Deal, that would be much appreciated.

Ps... An Australian style deal does not count as a deal - despite what Boris might have you believe.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Perry Anderson's written just shy of 20,000 words on the EU in the LRB this month so once I've got through that bad boy by Christmas I'll have something new to say about Brexit, or just a fancy word like 'peripeteia'.

Watch masterchef aswell and you will be parfaing your bacon on a sunday along with making a volute 

Edited by doulikefish

49 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Cars (Sunderland lol) are the biggie, but also stuff like pharmaceuticals, aerospace components are big ones. No deal's going to utterly gub several major exporting industries.

I'm assuming that there's less demand for aerospace components these days thanks to covid, cancelled flights etc.

23 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

got about 500 words into it and gave up in shame at not knowing a single one of the folk he referenced.

Aye I only know van Middelaar. It doesn't hit the same as Perry Anderson going after Adam Tooze last year. 

Edited by NotThePars