Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

I can't remember what fud said that I was talking shite and that my farmer brother in law, his farming mates and the Kerry farmer's association were mental to see Brexit as an opportunity for Irish produce.

That fud was wrong of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/17/exports-from-ireland-to-great-britain-soar-in-post-brexit-trade-imbalance?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Partly explained - partly - by the UK operating a 12 month transition period for imports

9 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58249337

Nandos running out of chicken. The chav gammon won’t like that.

Not effecting ROI. Just Gammon island lol.

Or Staunchland, either.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Time the remainiacs got over it and put their energies into making it work which, in the main is happening.

Carping on the sidelines is pathetic.

Nope, it's up to the racist losers who voted for this to "make it work". 

32 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Nope, it's up to the racist losers who voted for this to "make it work". 

they are not racist. They simply wanted to take back control from grubby self serving foreigners in Brussels and at the same time stop the great unwashed pitching up to old Blighty. 

The EU isn't perfect. No collective of nations with such a variety of languages, wealth, GDP, heritage etc. could be. The expansions of the EU over the last 20 years have made the differences between the wealthier, Northern nations (aka net contributors) and the poorer, Southern nations. It has made huge mistakes - the way Greece was treated in the early 2010s was atrocious, for example. 

But it has achieved a hell of a lot - war between EU nations doesn't happen, general prosperity, freedom of movement and so on.  The UK enjoyed almost unbroken growth for 40 years.  I've been at Horizon 2020 meetings this week and the pan-national scientific endeavours are carrying on nicely.

For all that, there has been mistrust within England and parts of Scotland. it's been compared to the USSR, it's been called a new form of German dominance and so on. The right wing papers needed a bogey-man and the EU was happy to supply it. That, and these papers hiring clowns like Johnson to keep peddling lies and myths. 

I've seen first hand the delays and rising costs associated with brexit. All of this will be discounted as Covid costs, rather than brexit costs. I don't think the EU will implode any time soon. Much more likely that the UK will fail than the EU. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

But it has achieved a hell of a lot - war between EU nations doesn't happen, general prosperity, freedom of movement and so on. 

The UK enjoyed almost unbroken growth for 40 years. 

Totally agree on the first point. People in the UK really underestimate the role the EU has played in ensuring peace and stability, and in supporting democracy in the south and east of Europe. And Freedom of Movement was a fantastic achievement that I still can't believe we pissed away.

Despite these being the overwhelming reasons for supporting remaining in the EU, most UK 'remainers' seem to think the steady supply of chicken to Nandos, keeping the crisp shelves stocked at the Coop, and a bottomless supply of  East Europeans who would work for low wages were in fact the reasons for staying in.

I can't agree about unbroken growth. I lived through the 70s, 80s and 90s, all of which had very shite periods of economic performance.

Edited by bendan