Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

32 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I don't believe what he says because he is the one saying it, and I am not sure that he is in a position to talk about the kind of Brexit we'll have until article 50 is triggered and we all start to negotiate.

The idea that Boris has that we'll negotiate a better trade deal with the EU once we are out of it IS fantasy though, which must be clear to anyone with any sense.

I agree with this, however we will be able to negotiate our own trade deals with other countries which gives us far more flexibility than we have at the moment.

42 minutes ago, strichener said:

I agree with this, however we will be able to negotiate our own trade deals with other countries which gives us far more flexibility than we have at the moment.

What nations do we not already have trade deals with?                                                              

10 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

What nations do we not already have trade deals with?                                                              

Our trade deals are via the EU. 

54 minutes ago, strichener said:

When the EU sits at the table, access to 500 million of among the worlds wealthiest consumers are what it has on offer. The UK will have about 1/9th that. We will have a few industries that most big economies are very keen to promote for themselves such as jet engine manufacture, microchip design and so on, industries vulnerable to tariffs as the biggest customers tend not to be in the UK (Boeing, Airbus, Lockheed etc). This is not 1960, the emergence of economies like China, trade blocks like the EU and a much greater distance between the UK and US means we are a mid sized fish in a pond full of large sharks. 

9 hours ago, vikingTON said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/13/its-hard-brexit-or-no-brexit-at-all-says-eu-council-president

But... But... But... What happened to "the UK will hold all the cards and determine the deal?"

It will be relatively painless for Dublin, Frankfurt and Paris to push for a deal that will see parts of our fintech industries moving into parts of the EU that can retain passporting and freedom of movement. London will be shielded to a point by the "synergy", the physical closeness of many niche parts of the financial and tech industries that work better with humans networking face to face but there is a big reward for those economies in making it as difficult as they can for London. 

There are other sectors like biotech, pharmaceuticals and aero-engine manufacture where the UK is a genuine world leader and trade barriers might help prize some of it out of the UK to the EU. Even in car manufacturing we are one of the biggest players in Europe, there is a tendency to think we have no heavy industry left, we still have quite a bit. Those are jobs other economies covet. 

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

That's right, a huge bloc of 27 nations.  How is it that the UK will be able to get better deals on its own?

We won't. Not only because we don't have people who are skilled enough and experienced enough to make such negotiations a success but also because we are in a position of weakness, other countries know that we are in a poor position and need to agree deals sooner rather than later - we cannot afford lengthy negotiations. They will stall us and push us until we pretty much have to take what we can get, rather than get what we want.

16 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

We won't. Not only because we don't have people who are skilled enough and experienced enough to make such negotiations a success but also because we are in a position of weakness, other countries know that we are in a poor position and need to agree deals sooner rather than later - we cannot afford lengthy negotiations. They will stall us and push us until we pretty much have to take what we can get, rather than get what we want.

Need agreement from all 27. So they'll agree an opening position, UK will suggest changes, the 27 will then say OK we need to ask all our members again, see you in 3 months when we get a chance to speak with them.  Rinse, repeat, hey presto it's 2019.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

That's right, a huge bloc of 27 nations.  How is it that the UK will be able to get better deals on its own?

Stiff upper lip and all that. Dear boy.
A return to the days when Britain ruled the waves and taught everyone how to do things right.

Failing that - maybe we should just say please.

Folk calling for boycotts of Unilever products providing the first bit of real schadenfreude from this whole fallout.

Imagine having to consume non Hellmann's mayo. Woooooft.

Or their BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, VWs, Bosch washing machines . . . .

These sort of corporate boycotts tend to fall down when you apply the same standards to other businesses.

There should also be no surprise that the cost of some products will rise because the arse has fallen out of the pound.

56 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Or their BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, VWs, Bosch washing machines . . . .

These sort of corporate boycotts tend to fall down when you apply the same standards to other businesses.

There should also be no surprise that the cost of some products will rise because the arse has fallen out of the pound.

Yeah,  I remember being asked to boycott Shell because of what they were doing in Africa but I thought I was already boycotting them because of South America or the Middle East or I can't remember.  At the same time, all the other companies - more or less identical to Shell - were left untouched.

Is this Brexit Armageddon going to be as bad as the one that happened to Scottish football and society with the social unrest that followed Rangers went bust?

I think that depends on whether you like marmite or not.