Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

36 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Does anyone have an idea of what Theresa May plans to announce in this Brexit speech in Florence this week?

will it be a new approach or just a recap of the Lancaster House speech earlier this year?

I'm willing to bet that it's high on rhetoric and low on anything that will assist with the negotiations.

I am also willing to bet that it's aimed at the Brexiteers in the UK to the exclusion of everyone else.

20 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

Does anyone have an idea of what Theresa May plans to announce in this Brexit speech in Florence this week?

will it be a new approach or just a recap of the Lancaster House speech earlier this year?

I suspect we will see her taking cognisance of the election result and announcing  a softer approach to Brexit and one which could see the UK remain in the single market.  She'll also be keen to insist on collaboration with the EU on all security related matters in light of recent terrorist attacks.

She will of course emphazise that the UK will always be part of Europe.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I suspect we will see her taking cognisance of the election result and announcing  a softer approach to Brexit and one which could see the UK remain in the single market.  She'll also be keen to insist on collaboration with the EU on all security related matters in light of recent terrorist attacks.

She will of course emphazise that the UK will always be part of Europe.

I'd be willing to bet you that this doesn't happen.

48 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

"Oh gosh, you know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to leave you wallowing in the mess we've made. You're screwed. Thank you. Bye."

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd be willing to bet you that this doesn't happen.

I read somewhere that discussions had been ongoing about a possible phased departure from the single market. This would mean the lump sum we would need to cough up on our exit could be spread over a 3 to 5 year period.

I wish I could remember, or find where it was I read this, but you know I'm not a gambling man.

3 hours ago, zidane's child said:

Damian Green claimed today that it will be "different" from what's been said before. Maybe she's going to announce an invasion of Normandy?

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I read somewhere that discussions had been ongoing about a possible phased departure from the single market. This would mean the lump sum we would need to cough up on our exit could be spread over a 3 to 5 year period.

I wish I could remember, or find where it was I read this, but you know I'm not a gambling man.

This is likely what's going to happen hence why Boris has pre-empted her speech and doubled down on a gung-ho baws oot Brexit.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

fdc44f00ffb9ac85d18e1893db9ab10f-1366x13

Boris's reply. It speaks for itself.

Dear Sir David,

I must say that I was surprised and disappointed by your letter of today, since it was based on what appeared to be a wilful distortion of the text of my article. 

When we spoke you conceded that you were more concerned by the headline and the BBC coverage, though you accepted that I was not responsible for those.  I suggest if the BBC coverage offends you that you write to the BBC.

You say that I claim that there would be £350 million that ‘might be available for extra public spending’ when we leave the EU. 

This is a complete misrepresentation of what I said and I would like you to withdraw it. I in fact said : ‘Once we have settled our accounts we will take back control of roughly £350m per week. It would be a fine thing, as many of us have pointed out, if a lot of that money went on the NHS.’

That is very different from claiming that there would be an extra £350m available for public spending and I am amazed that you should impute such a statement to me. 

You claim in your defence that we would not really be taking back control of that sum, because it includes the rebate and other EU spending in this country.

But, as you accept, these sums - amounting to about half the £350 million - are spent at the discretion of the EU.  We do not control them. 

To give you an example: when I was Mayor of London I thought it would be a good idea if we persuaded the Commission to spend £8m on the Emirates cable car.   We succeeded, and the Commissioner concerned was so delighted with the results that he said he would like to fund some more cable cars in London.   I was delighted, too, and was glad to have steered some of our EU contributions back to this country.   But the decision was his. Control was in the hands of the Commission, not the UK.  Or do you suggest otherwise?

As for the balance of the £350 million, it of course disappears around the rest of the EU, and is spent as the EU sees fit in other countries.   Once we leave the EU we will take back control of all such UK-funded spending, and, although of course I have no doubt that we will continue to spend significantly on UK priorities such as agriculture and research, that spending will be done under UK control. 

As for the rebate - whose value you did not know - it only forms part of the EU’s financing arrangements with  the agreement of all other EU Member States. We do not control it ourselves. 

What is beyond doubt is that, upon withdrawal, we will have complete discretion over the £350m per week  and that huge sums will indeed will be available for public spending on priorities such as the NHS.  I believe that would be a fine thing. 

If you had any concerns about my article, it would of course have been open to you to address the points with me in private rather than in this way in a public letter.  As it is, if you seriously disagree with any of the above,  I look forward to hearing your reasoning.  

Boris Johnson

Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs

giphy.webp

Edited by welshbairn

Does anyone have an idea of what Theresa May plans to announce in this Brexit speech in Florence this week? will it be a new approach or just a recap of the Lancaster House speech earlier this year?

I fully expect her to get down on her knees and beg forgiveness from Angela. She will tell her it's all been a horrible mistake and brexit doesn't mean brexit, it actually means 'I'm sorry' in Cornish.

22 hours ago, zidane's child said:

"Ever since I was a naughty little girl running through the wheat fields - I have been a massive fan of Florentina Football Club.  Great win against Bologna, by the way and that was never a penalty.  In any case, I am not convinced this 4-4-2 formation is best suited to the club and I would like to see a more attacking style of play.  I also think there is a need to improve the scouting system to compete more effective against the likes of AC Milan and Juventus.  And finally, maybe it is time for a new assistant manager.  That's all I have to say."

Okay - not very likely she will say this but it would certainly catch them off guard if she did.