Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/30/antiguan-who-has-lived-59-years-in-britain-told-he-is-in-uk-illegally?CMP=share_btn_tw
Man who moved from Antigua 59 years ago told he is in UK illegally
This sort of thing happening far too often since Brexit.  Purely co-incidentally, I'm sure.

Where my views on brexit are the same as yours and the authorities should just leave the man alone, technically he is illegally in country

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:
17 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/30/antiguan-who-has-lived-59-years-in-britain-told-he-is-in-uk-illegally?CMP=share_btn_tw
This sort of thing happening far too often since Brexit.  Purely co-incidentally, I'm sure.

Where my views on brexit are the same as yours and the authorities should just leave the man alone, technically he is illegally in country

Technically the Home Office have discretion  in obviously unjust cases.  Yet they keep harassing people who have lived and worked and paid their taxes here for decades.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
30 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
Technically the Home Office have discretion  in obviously unjust cases.  Yet they keep harassing people who have lived and worked and paid their taxes here for decades.

Actually. Going to change my previous statement. How can he be illegal if he has a British passport.

Aye, but what colour is it?

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Is it just American crime shows or is there not something like a "statute of limitations" that applies here?

"How did you come to be in this country?"
"My grandmother smuggled me in."
"Where is she now - can we speak to her?"

6 hours ago, strichener said:

Dwarfed as in it will be less than 1/2? 1/4?  Can you show your working to back up this assertion or can we ascribe the same level of veracity to this claim as to the original £350m.

By their very nature these things can be difficult to get a 100% accurate handle on but for England alone ( UK would be greater ) the 2016 figures would appear to be NHS spending on drugs is 16 billion and on equipment 10 billion. About 85/90% of this is imported.

Bearing in mind that the pound has sunk in value since then and medical inflation tends to be a fair bit higher than general inflation I would expect the figures to be higher now.

I notice you didn't mention the second sentence in my post about staffing and research which is just as damaging if not more so than rising costs.

Destructive madness.

41 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

By their very nature these things can be difficult to get a 100% accurate handle on but for England alone ( UK would be greater ) the 2016 figures would appear to be NHS spending on drugs is 16 billion and on equipment 10 billion. About 85/90% of this is imported.

Bearing in mind that the pound has sunk in value since then and medical inflation tends to be a fair bit higher than general inflation I would expect the figures to be higher now.

I notice you didn't mention the second sentence in my post about staffing and research which is just as damaging if not more so than rising costs.

Destructive madness.

Since most medicine and medical equipment is not subject to tariffs then Brexit will have little direct affect on the cost.  Exchange rates have varied far greater before the Brexit vote than they have since and medical inflation was not suppressed by being in the EU (given that you have already stated that it was higher than general inflation).  I am not seeing any evidence that our net contribution to the EU will be dwarfed by increased costs that can be attributed to Brexit.

The second sentence wasn't mentioned as I have no way of correlating the entire NHS staffing situation with Brexit.  Here in NHS Grampian we have had recruitment problems for over a decade and that is with us in the EU.  NHS Grampian has been actively recruiting from the EU and even having job fairs etc. in Australia and NZ.  It is noticeable that the situation has actually improved since the Brexit vote.  I recognise that this may not be representative of the rest of the NHS.

Edited by strichener

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Since most medicine and medical equipment is not subject to tariffs then Brexit will have little direct affect on the cost.  Exchange rates have varied far greater before the Brexit vote than they have since and medical inflation was not suppressed by being in the EU (given that you have already stated that it was higher than general inflation).  I am not seeing any evidence that our net contribution to the EU will be dwarfed by increased costs that can be attributed to Brexit.

The second sentence wasn't mentioned as I have no way of correlating the entire NHS staffing situation with Brexit.  Here in NHS Grampian we have had recruitment problems for over a decade and that is with us in the EU.  NHS Grampian has been actively recruiting from the EU and even having job fairs etc. in Australia and NZ.  It is noticeable that the situation has actually improved since the Brexit vote.  I recognise that this may not be representative of the rest of the NHS.

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this, accepting that our life experiences and areas of expertise are probably very different.

2 hours ago, strichener said:

Since most medicine and medical equipment is not subject to tariffs

Pish. I work for a company that manufactures endoscopes (in Germany) and sells them worldwide, including here.  Brexit has already cost the UK branch millions in extra costs because of the weakness of the pound. Tariffs would probably put the UK branch in danger of operating at a loss and perhaps worse.  62,000 NHS staff in England alone are EU nationals - 5.6% of all staff. Overall, 12.5% of NHS staff say that their nationality is not British. Your faith in Brexit as a righteous cause is utterly imbecilic.

15 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Pish. I work for a company that manufactures endoscopes (in Germany) and sells them worldwide, including here.  Brexit has already cost the UK branch millions in extra costs because of the weakness of the pound. Tariffs would probably put the UK branch in danger of operating at a loss and perhaps worse.  62,000 NHS staff in England alone are EU nationals - 5.6% of all staff. Overall, 12.5% of NHS staff say that their nationality is not British. Your faith in Brexit as a righteous cause is utterly imbecilic.

Not surprised that you decided to jump into this with your eyes wide shut. 

You start by stating that my post is pish and then proceed with hypotheticals regarding tariffs.  It is, perhaps unfortunately for the non-point that you are trying to make, a fact that most medical equipment is free from tariffs currently.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

You start by stating that my post is pish and then proceed with hypotheticals regarding tariffs.  It is, perhaps unfortunately for the non-point that you are trying to make, a fact that most medical equipment is free from tariffs currently.

You love a bit of brexit

4 hours ago, strichener said:

Not hypotheticals, peabrain, actuals. The pound is weak because of Brexit right now. The price of any imported good has gone up, and that includes medicine and equipment. It's difficult to get through your thick skull at the best of times but this post is obtuse even for you.