Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Won't be long before a Tory spokesperson declares Ross+ as our preferred option.

Brexit wouldn't mean Brexit if they took the Swiss model. It would only mean Brexit, but not that Brexit.

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Blind hatred, yes, I agree, but with perfectly rational origins. The de-industrialisation of the UK was inevitable but the complete lack of preparation, and more importantly, support for those affected, was abhorrent and absolutely designed to ensure that the traditional Labour areas were the worst affect over the long term. Anyone who had left leanings was perfectly rational in hating Thatcher and by extension, the Conservatives.

I don't agree but one thing we can agree on (I hope), if the plan was indeed to hurt Labour heartlands then it backfired massively by creating a Labour loyal voter pool for decades. 8 don't think they would have been naive enough not to predict that.

So there will be a emergency debate today, which I can’t see achieving much.

If Labour don’t call a confidence vote, it looks like the SNP and/or others will. Puts old Jez in a bit of a position, will be interesting to see how he would react.  No guarantee DUP would rally around May. 

Edited by Londonwell

The treatment meted out to the SNP by the UK media is utterly scandalous.

Why invite a distinguished QC like Joanna Cherry on to a TV discussion programme then hardly allow her to get a word in edgeways?

This has just happened on the Victoria Derbyshire show.

3 minutes ago, weegienative said:

I don't agree but one thing we can agree on (I hope), if the plan was indeed to hurt Labour heartlands then it backfired massively by creating a Labour loyal voter pool for decades. 8 don't think they would have been naive enough not to predict that.

Depends on how you look at that. That loyalty to Labour led to the "Beating the Tories is all that matters mindset" which shifted the party right post John Smith, bringing with it the neo liberal aspects of Blair and his ilk, who changed the party beyond recognition and took an economic approach that would have made Thatcher proud, particularly with regards to the financial sector. The end result is that Labour is now the lease effective opposition party in UK history and the grass roots of the party are so distant from large swathes of the activists, advisors and MP's that is is almost impossible now to state what Labour actually stands for.

16 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I actually work in a field that has regular contact with Scottish Ministers. The step change in intelligence and actually giving a damn in those interactions after 2007 was palpable so I'd have to challenge your opinion there.

The company I work for win a lot of public contracts (I'm the finance side). Without going into specific projects, let's just say that due to very basic errors on the part of msps, our company has made much more profit on projects in Scotland compared to rUK due to wrong/inappropriate specs and various other f**k ups on their part. It's actually an in-house joke that Nicola surgeon is top of our Xmas card list due to the amount of bonus she's made us all.

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

So there will be a emergency debate today, which I can’t see achieving much.

If Labour don’t call a confidence vote, it looks like the SNP and/or others will. Puts old Jez in a bit of a position, will be interesting to see how he would react.  No guarantee DUP would rally around May. 

Pretty sure the DUP have said they would back May in a no confidence motion.  They would only stop their support if the backstop in its current form goes through (which it won’t).

Even if the DUP abstain then May is safe.  Hopefully she faces a leadership challenge but that’s went pretty quiet too.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

1 more has gone in today and the total is now believed to be 124.

Who cares? It's not just May who has to go.

I care.  

A motion of no confidence in the government could unite the Tories.  A leadership challenge will divide them.

Depends on how you look at that. That loyalty to Labour led to the "Beating the Tories is all that matters mindset" which shifted the party right post John Smith, bringing with it the neo liberal aspects of Blair and his ilk, who changed the party beyond recognition and took an economic approach that would have made Thatcher proud, particularly with regards to the financial sector. The end result is that Labour is now the lease effective opposition party in UK history and the grass roots of the party are so distant from large swathes of the activists, advisors and MP's that is is almost impossible now to state what Labour actually stands for.

Yup. It was the success of There Is No Alternative being accepted across the political divide that was the most damaging legacy of Thatcher. It’s finally starting to be challenged but it’s by no means going to be a successful challenge.

If the backstop is all that is holding this up, surely the only feasible option that will result in a proper Brexit, is to keep NI in the customs union, and the rest of the UK leave.

Controversial sure, but it seems like the only workable option, with the cards at play.

The company I work for win a lot of public contracts (I'm the finance side). Without going into specific projects, let's just say that due to very basic errors on the part of msps, our company has made much more profit on projects in Scotland compared to rUK due to wrong/inappropriate specs and various other f**k ups on their part. It's actually an in-house joke that Nicola surgeon is top of our Xmas card list due to the amount of bonus she's made us all.
Definitely happened

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

A fair point well made mate.