Barry Hearn: Scottish football shouldn't rely on the Old Firm

Barry Hearn has been laying in to the SPFL again.  Seems the Evening Times contacted him expecting the usual quotes about how much better off the Scottish game will be with the Rangers having made it up to the top tier, but he's gone slightly off message again:

“The only sad part, for me, is that you have to be so careful about those matches dwarfing everyone else so that they feel they are not part of the same group because of the supporter base.

“You mustn’t take your eye off the ball, if you like, of the overall job that has got to be done with Scottish football.

“In a utopian world, Dunfermline, Aberdeen, whoever, are all as big as Rangers and Celtic. That is not going to happen but it shouldn’t stop you trying to make it happen.

“It is great news for Scottish football and it will improve various sponsorship and TV deals because of the certainty of those games happening, and that is obviously a shot in the arm for Scottish football.

“But it mustn’t be an excuse and you forget about the bigger picture, which is the promotion of football in Scotland.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14729046.Barry_Hearn__The_Old_Firm_return_is_box_office___but_Scottish_football_shouldn__39_t_rely_on_the_big_two/

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

Someone should tell him that Rangers are now known as sevcodeidcozombienewcothetribureacttherangersinternational.

That name is almost as big as the chip on your shoulder.

Shock to hear that someone who is not a fan of either Celtic or Sevco and/or a 'journalist' with a vested interested (most of whom are usually Celtic or Sevco fans themselves) come out with something different to the party line. Also Scottish football doesn't rely on the 'big two' anyway, unless you take Scottish football to mean any interest in those two clubs. Ross County have never played Sevco (or the dead club). How exactly are they relying on them? Edinburgh City have somehow made it to the SPFL without ever playing Celtic, Sevco or the dead club. How do teams like Stirling, Montrose, Arbroath, Alloa, Queen of the South rely on Celtic and Sevco? They don't of course.

Had a read of that article and the first two lines had me raging;

IT is the box office bout between the heavyweights of Scottish football. It is the rematch that could help our game get off the ropes and come out swinging once again.

And Barry Hearn hopes the return of the Old Firm showpiece will be the inspiration to the power brokers and not an excuse to down tools in the rebuilding job at Hampden and across the country.

It's just lies. Easily dis-proven lies. When was Scottish football 'on the ropes'? Was it when loads of clubs were flourishing and winning trophies? What 'rebuilding' job is ongoing at Hampden (I assume they mean the SPFL/SFA)? And what 'rebuilding' is going on across the country?

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Shock to hear that someone who is not a fan of either Celtic or Sevco and/or a 'journalist' with a vested interested (most of whom are usually Celtic or Sevco fans themselves) come out with something different to the party line. Also Scottish football doesn't rely on the 'big two' anyway, unless you take Scottish football to mean any interest in those two clubs. Ross County have never played Sevco (or the dead club). How exactly are they relying on them? Edinburgh City have somehow made it to the SPFL without ever playing Celtic, Sevco or the dead club. How do teams like Stirling, Montrose, Arbroath, Alloa, Queen of the South rely on Celtic and Sevco? They don't of course.

Had a read of that article and the first two lines had me raging;

IT is the box office bout between the heavyweights of Scottish football. It is the rematch that could help our game get off the ropes and come out swinging once again.

And Barry Hearn hopes the return of the Old Firm showpiece will be the inspiration to the power brokers and not an excuse to down tools in the rebuilding job at Hampden and across the country.

It's just lies. Easily dis-proven lies. When was Scottish football 'on the ropes'? Was it when loads of clubs were flourishing and winning trophies? What 'rebuilding' job is ongoing at Hampden (I assume they mean the SPFL/SFA)? And what 'rebuilding' is going on across the country?

It wasn't on the ropes...but it seems we just suffered a serious armageddon which we are only just recovering from.

Didn't notice it mind - what it looked like to my ignorant mind was an absolutely great four years for Scottish football.

22 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

It wasn't on the ropes...but it seems we just suffered a serious armageddon which we are only just recovering from.

Didn't notice it mind - what it looked like to my ignorant mind was an absolutely great four years for Scottish football.

I think you could miss an Armageddon, tbf, if you weren't particularly paying attention.

It was the social unrest, the nuclear winter and the slow, lingering death I must've been oblivious to.

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ross County have never played Sevco (or the dead club).

Erm, yes we have. We played the oldco 3 times in cups, all in Dingwall.

28/02/1966    Scottish Cup (2nd Round)       0 - 2

18/02/2001   Scottish Cup (4th Round)         2 - 3

28/11/2001    League Cup (Quarter Final)    1 - 2       

Archived