Partick Thistle V Motherwell

Another game at Firhill we didn't turn up for. Thistle's goal was an absolute gift, genuine Sunday league stuff and it could have been 3 or 4 if your boy Azeez could actually finish. There was a decent penalty shout there too. Thought he gave Heneghan an absolute hounding.

Nothing stuck up top for us and for all Moult and Bowman impressed last week both were varying degrees of poor today.

Having said all that, that was a game we'd definitely have lost last season and by all accounts we could have nicked it in the end. I was at the other end of the park but I didn't see much wrong with McDonald's goal that was chalked off. If he was offside fair fucks. When we did get the ball down and pass to feet we actually knocked it about quite well.

All in all I'll take the point.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key moment in that game was Erskine going off and being replaced by Sean Welsh - Erskine's defensive workrate from the front was top class, but was then replaced by a complete burden of a footballer who is quite simply negative in everything he does. We instantly switched from strolling the first hour to hanging on to our slim lead after that substitution. Doolan coming on instead would have been more fitting for how the game was going, and I think would have seen us keep up enough pressure of our own to go and win the game.

Regardless, we should have had the game buried by then. Every bit of Azeez's game is solid enough, barring his end product where he turns into Lucas Akins. At least two golden chances blown, along with a couple of points.

1 hour ago, Rednyella said:

You don't win your home games you're going to be in trouble at end of season. Typical Jags losing a goal in last 10 mins. It's not good enough and Archie needs to find a way to get these players to win. Upsetting.

Good  enough effort for me

No way can u drop azeez  playing along side another striker may help him or is he a winger

Not a great performance today. The midfield were too slow on the ball and a there was a lack of cohesion going forward. Really our problem is the wide areas with no one playing on the left leaving us to attack one side of the park.  It reminds me of what happened during McGhee's first spell where he played a 4-3-3 then gradually reverted to a 4-4-2 by sticking a striker on the left and sitting back instead of attacking and the results were poor.

Moult was shocking today, constantly on his arse and the touch of an elephant. Clay dropped out the game in the 2nd half and was a statue in centre midfield. And Henegan and McManus had a horrid time coping with the pace of Azeez. Hammell giving away the goal just summed up the day, we couldn't get the basic stuff done with poor passing and control all over the park.

At least our goal was decent although I was shaking my head as Tait cut onto his bad foot to put the cross in from 35 yards out but it floated straight onto McDonald's head, a peach of a ball.

A point saved from what could have been a hiding.

Thistle must be wondering how they didn't come away with 3 points - we deserved nothing from that drudge fest. It was bizarre that we were looking the more likely to win in the end. If Erskine was getting the kind of opportunities that Azeez squandered all day, we'd have taken a doing - he did give our defence a nightmare though.

Our "first" goal looked ok to me and I was reasonably in line with it - I look forward to skipping through the Alba "highlights" to have a look at it tomorrow.

Overall disappointed with the inconsistency but delighted to salvage a point from that....

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

The key moment in that game was Erskine going off and being replaced by Sean Welsh - Erskine's defensive workrate from the front was top class, but was then replaced by a complete burden of a footballer who is quite simply negative in everything he does. We instantly switched from strolling the first hour to hanging on to our slim lead after that substitution. Doolan coming on instead would have been more fitting for how the game was going, and I think would have seen us keep up enough pressure of our own to go and win the game.

Regardless, we should have had the game buried by then. Every bit of Azeez's game is solid enough, barring his end product where he turns into Lucas Akins. At least two golden chances blown, along with a couple of points.

The key moment I would say was when Azeez missed those chances if we had scored them game would have been over and it wouldn't matter who we replaced Erskine with

Utter guff for the most part today, so will most definitely take a point. Although the chat seems to be that we can feel a little hard done by with McDonald's first header which was apparently onside.

Saying that if the lad Azeez could finish Thistle could have been out of sight before the hour, an astonishing lack of composure from that boy. His pace frightened the life out of our defence though which was shaky as f**k today. No pace or width in our team, slow and predicable build up and far too many aimless punts forwards to Bowman and Moult who were both poor, Moult in particular was absolutely horrendous. 

For the first time this season we actually improved when Faddy came on, although moving McDonald up front and getting Moult off the fucking park probably had just as much an impact. However we did actually started to move the ball to feet when Faddy was on and the goal came if memory serves from him working the ball across from the left hand side to the right. Was an excellent cross by Tait on his weaker foot and McDonald's made a career out of that sort of goal. Could have nicked it in the end as Bowman and Cadden both forced the keeper into decent saves but that would have been absolute robbery.

Four games unbeaten now and that's the last two away games we've not played particularly well and came away with a decent point. Seems to be a bit more resilience about us these days, even if it isn't always brilliant to watch we appear to be grinding out points in games that we would have probably lost in recent seasons. 

What was Barton like?

Not bad. When on the ball made nice passes and looked composed but defensively seemed lacking. Lost out on most challenges. Did alot of roaming from his position which was either down to him or Archies instructions.

I thought we were somewhat deserving of the point.  Certainly Thistle controlled the first half but it took an absolute gift for them to get on the scoresheet.  They then made a good fist of limiting us to few chances while looking dangerous on the break in the second, with the big guy up front causing problem up till his finishing.  

The chopped off goal was clearly onside and who knows what might have been if it had been given.  It came at the point when we were just starting to get a foothold in the game. 

offside.jpg

9 minutes ago, ark loyal said:

I thought we were somewhat deserving of the point.  Certainly Thistle controlled the first half but it took an absolute gift for them to get on the scoresheet.  They then made a good fist of limiting us to few chances while looking dangerous on the break in the second, with the big guy up front causing problem up till his finishing.  

The chopped off goal was clearly onside and who knows what might have been if it had been given.  It came at the point when we were just starting to get a foothold in the game. 

offside.jpg

Legitimate goals chalked off 2 weeks in a row? Fans of some clubs have built conspiracy theories on less.... 

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Legitimate goals chalked off 2 weeks in a row? Fans of some clubs have built conspiracy theories on less.... 

Those types of decisions always go against us in Glasgow.  :ph34r:

Football.  Football. Football.  Played the same team as last week but you wouldn't have known it.  Our performance was the exact opposite.  No urgency, no pressing, no aggression, no pace, no movement, we were absolute garbage.  Louis Moult who was superb last week was quite possibly the worst player on the pitch today. 

We played a bit better in the 2nd half but the truth of the matter is Partick should have been at least 3 goals up before we equalised and probably 4 or 5.  Azeez absolutely bullied Heneghan, thankful he's not so good at shooting. 

Didn't see much wrong with our 'chopped off' goal but I didn't have a good view and there was a lot of bodies in the box but I'll be a bit miffed if it turns out we've had two good goals chopped off in two weeks.  However, I will repeat, we have much more goal threat without Johnson.  Played poorly today but still managed to get it in the net twice, on top of the five last week.

Archived