Bad drivers & cyclists

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Paco said:

There are arsehole drivers and arsehole cyclists. Cycling two abreast is fucking annoying though. Am I right in saying it's technically legal?

I nearly wiped someone on a bike out turning left at traffic lights once. I was at the front of the queue, indicator on, turning left. There was a cycle lane on my left, but nobody in it.

Lights go green, I begin to turn, cyclist has undertaken the queue of cars at the lights in the cycle lane and is going straight on. Thankfully I clocked him in my peripheral vision.

If there was a collision, who was to blame? There was no cyclist alongside me when I began the manoeuvre, I was indicating, he was undertaking at speed and no cycle lane in the junction itself (it stopped at the traffic lights). Me for not noticing or the cyclist for skipping the queue?

You're supposed to check your wing mirrors before taking off at lights for that exact reason.

17 hours ago, thomas said:

This isn't a personal dig at yourself but it is something that really irritates me, any idiot with no understanding of the highway code can jump on a bike and cycle on the roads. I drive with work five days a week and the amount of cyclists I see going through red lights, jumping between roads and pavements, failing to indicate where they are going or my absolute pet hate not wearing a helmet. A simple small outlay of money to potentially save their lives and they couldn't care less.

I, too, despair at some cyclists tbh.  I've been driving for 26 years and basically I use the roads whilst on my bike as I  would in my car.  I've little idea on the rules regarding riding 2 abreast, although plenty drivers seem to think cyclists are breaking the rules in this regard! 

I don't mind if a cyclist goes through a red providing the road is completely clear ahead and no driver needs to take evasive action (I defy any cyclist to say they have never done this).  Also, skipping up onto a kerb is no big deal either IMO, so long as the path is clear.  

I always wear a helmet :)

6 hours ago, Paco said:

There are arsehole drivers and arsehole cyclists. Cycling two abreast is fucking annoying though. Am I right in saying it's technically legal?

Yes as long as not on single track roads. Cycling 2 abreast actually makes it easier for the driver to overtake .

eg 10 cyclists in single file = 10 bike lengths to pass, cycling 2 abreast = 5 bike lengths to pass 

I nearly wiped someone on a bike out turning left at traffic lights once. I was at the front of the queue, indicator on, turning left. There was a cycle lane on my left, but nobody in it.

Lights go green, I begin to turn, cyclist has undertaken the queue of cars at the lights in the cycle lane and is going straight on. Thankfully I clocked him in my peripheral vision.

If there was a collision, who was to blame? There was no cyclist alongside me when I began the manoeuvre, I was indicating, he was undertaking at speed and no cycle lane in the junction itself (it stopped at the traffic lights). Me for not noticing or the cyclist for skipping the queue?

Tricky one but stupid of the cyclist to do this 

6 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

You're supposed to check your wing mirrors before taking off at lights for that exact reason.

Its happened to me to, at the bottom of a hill. Cyclist suddenly appears at about 50 without even considering I'd be turning left. They seem to just assume you spend the whole manoeuvre staring at your mirror. 

There's arseholes who use the road - I think we should get away from classifying them based on their mode of transport.

Of course, there's some motorists who think all cyclists are arseholes, while there's no doubt a few hippies on bikes who think the same about motorists. But they both just end up in the overall "arsehole" category anyway.

I drive. I cycle. When in/on either mode of transport, I sometimes encounter said arseholes; most of the time I don't. And when I do, unless it's genuinely put me in danger I generally toot (yes, even on my bike), swear, then get on with going where I need to be.

When it comes to bikes, I make a distinction between "cyclists" and "people on bikes" (POBs). The former know how to use the road, stopping at red lights, filtering only when it's safe and generally being respectful and courteous. This is regardless if they have a £severalK bike and all the gear, or something they picked up for a few quid second-hand that has a basket on the front. POBs, on the the other hand, are the complete opposite - jump red lights, filter on the left of left-turning traffic, jump onto the pavement when it suits*...and the same "regardless" applies. An expensive bike and head-to-toe lycra does not a cyclist make. Although those type of POBs do particularly piss me off because the expensive bike and stereotypical attire just further fuel the ire of the aforementioned "drivers-who-think-all-cyclists-are-arseholes".

*Pavement cycling is a tough one. Normally it shouldn't be encouraged, but there is police guidance that says discretion should be exercised. Moving onto the pavement in a safe, courteous manner to avoid potentially dangerous junctions/roundabouts/other roads is generally permitted. The important part being "safe and courteous". 

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 08:25, thomas said:

OTT? I'd like to think 5 year olds out on their bikes aren't cycling in heavy traffic if I'm honest. I don't know what the most workable way of doing a cycling test of sorts would be. What I do know is if I was putting myself in a very vulnerable situation by cycling on the roads, having a basic understanding of the how drivers and cyclist should behave would be worthwhile. Also I'd definitely invest in a helmet.

Ah I see, so like most on this thread when we say cyclist we mean fully Lycra clad adults on racers who can manage a half decent speed and hold driver up for up to 3 minuets? Cyclist arny just them tho they're 13 year olds doin paper rounds, somebody's granda goin for his messages , bairns out playing with there pals and many more. If you want to start passing laws for the tour de France types  require this and that your also going to be forcing pretty draconian laws on a lot of others who were never bothering anybody,

Remember your not allowed to cycle on the pavement, if you want to bring these rules in then anyone under 18, over 65 or just a hipster c**t sauntering along at a snails  pace should just be allowed along the path where there no bothering anyone

I both cycle and drive a lot and to be honest I don't see much discourteous (and very little dangerous) behaviour from users of either mode of transport.  I certainly see a lot more bad behaviour from drivers, but then I encounter a lot more drivers when I'm cycling compared to cyclists when I'm driving.  Only once have I actually had to brake on my bike due to a driver coming right out in front of me on a roundabout (I was clearly signalling right coming up to the roundabout).

Sometimes cyclists are not helped by stupid road / cycle lane layouts.  Cycle lanes are too often just an afterthought to reach a quota of miles (it certainly seems that way), starting and stopping in silly places, frequently forcing cyclists back into traffic or being on totally inappropriate roads.  There is one in Stirling that starts just before a set of traffic lights with a left turn, essentially inviting cyclists to ride up the left of left turning traffic, when the lights could change at any time, and with drivers who are probably unaware there is a cycle lane on their left as it has just started.  

Interesting point about cycling 2 abreast above - it is allowed, but according to the highway code cyclists should "ride in single file on narrow or busy roads".  I'm certainly aware of being beeped at a lot on roads with a bit more traffic (but not exactly 'busy') when riding 2 abreast.  Funnily enough I have never heard a driver beep at a tractor or other slow moving vehicle even though they are moving slower and are more difficult to overtake.

2 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Funnily enough I have never heard a driver beep at a tractor or other slow moving vehicle even though they are moving slower and are more difficult to overtake.

Probably because the tractor can't cut itself in half to make it easier to pass, while one cyclist could drop in behind the other until the traffic passes.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Probably because the tractor can't cut itself in half to make it easier to pass, while one cyclist could drop in behind the other until the traffic passes.

But, as above, cyclists are allowed to ride 2 abreast unless the road is busy.  Why should cyclists have to ride in single file permanently just in case a car might want to pass while another car is coming the other way?

Just now, Gnash said:

But, as above, cyclists are allowed to ride 2 abreast unless the road is busy.  Why should cyclists have to ride in single file permanently just in case a car might want to pass while another car is coming the other way?

Because you're creating a queue and holding up other road users. Theres multiple signs driver get flashing at them on roads (especially the a9) urging you to be a courteous driver and to pull over and let traffic by if you're going slower than them. Surely that rule should apply to cyclists too?

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because you're creating a queue and holding up other road users. Theres multiple signs driver get flashing at them on roads (especially the a9) urging you to be a courteous driver and to pull over and let traffic by if you're going slower than them. Surely that rule should apply to cyclists too?

But not tractors?  That was the point I was responding to.  

Anyway, if it was a genuinely busy road with traffic building up behind me and the guys I'm riding with, we'd go single file.  But quite often we'll get beeped for delaying someone for 10 seconds while one car goes past the other way.

And as a driver, I'm continually getting held up by idiots driving at 40 mph in a 60 zone, and they NEVER pull over.

47 minutes ago, Gnash said:

But not tractors?  That was the point I was responding to.  

A tractor has much less chance of preventing queues than cyclists who cycle beside each other. Its not that hard to understand. 

The two abreast cycling is to keep cyclists safe. You are supposed to pass cyclists with as much room as if you were passing a small car. If it's not safe to pass when they are two abreast, it's not safe to pass when they're in single file. I have never been inconvenienced by a cyclist for more than 30 seconds. Hardly makes any difference to a journey does it?

People don't pass a tractor without giving it the proper room, plenty go past bikes leaving an inch between the wing mirror and the handlebars. Being 30 seconds late wont kill you

Cyclists should maybe bear that in mind when going past runners on the off road paths...

Cyclists should maybe bear that in mind when going past runners on the off road paths...

I've got a bell to let people know I'm approaching. It's a waste of time with runners as they are normally tuned into their earphones.

Archived