England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Why should football jerseys be emblazoned with a poppy? This is a fairly recent adoption. I can't recollect seeing poppies on jerseys when I was younger. We're the players less respectful back then,? I wear a poppy on my jacket. My jacket comes off when I'm at work is that disrespectful? I don't sit about the house wearing my poppy is that disrespectful? I find this "poppy mania" more than a touch menacing. I couldn't give a f**k whether they wear a poppy or not. It's surely a personal choice. Does anyone really believe that a poppy on the shirts will make a blind bit of difference to the players in their respect of the fallen? What was wrong with a minutes silence and laying a wreath in the centre circle? Get off your high horse and get on with the football.

1 minute ago, TheLip69 said:

It's surely a personal choice.

And there's my problem. FIFA are making that choice for people who want to wear it. There does seem to be more of a fuss this time, but do you fancy telling me what that has to do with anything?

20 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

And there's my problem. FIFA are making that choice for people who want to wear it. There does seem to be more of a fuss this time, but do you fancy telling me what that has to do with anything?

I sympathise, I really do, in an ideal world it would be totally inconsequential and not even an issue worth debating. However, some folk have sought to politicise it and make some form of capital out of it, hence Fifa's decision. Shout at The Mail, the UK Gov, the right-wing nut jobs and the likes of the The Rangers for turning it into a song and fucking dance, a recruitment poster, a GIRUY and a statement of national pride/identity and who have therefore forced Fifa's hand. 

The FA are just as guilty making the choice for those who don't want to wear it. It's got f**k all to do with sport. It's politics. Get it to f**k out of the game.

8 minutes ago, TheLip69 said:

The FA are just as guilty making the choice for those who don't want to wear it. It's got f**k all to do with sport. It's politics. Get it to f**k out of the game.

I wasn't aware they were actually going to force anyone to wear it. Fancy substantiating that?

Exhibit A, James McClean Esq. 

Conspicuous by his non-wearment of poppy. German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Serbian and notably many Irish players have worn them perhaps just to avoid the hassle, which has definitely been whipped up into a fucking frenzy since about 2003.

As an aside, it's disgustingly ironic that the increased celebration of the Forces is timed to coincide with sending the poor c***s into now three illegal wars. If Rangers paid their tax bill, maybe they might have gotten sent there with decent boots and equipment.....free tickets makes up for it, i guess. 

I wasn't aware they were actually going to force anyone to wear it. Fancy substantiating that?

As I said it's a matter of personal choice, sticking the poppy on the shirts regardless is hardly allowing for personal choice is it? Its a case of you're playing for England you will wear a poppy. The minute you start forcing people to do things just because you feel it's right is the minute personal freedom dies. Get the poppies off the shirts and start respecting the living as well as the dead.

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

As an aside, it's disgustingly ironic that the increased celebration of the Forces is timed to coincide with sending the poor c***s into now three illegal wars. If Rangers paid their tax bill, maybe they might have gotten sent there with decent boots and equipment.....free tickets makes up for it, i guess. 

Any diddy who references Rangers in this thread is a total c**t

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

Apparently the FA are going to defy Fifa and wear Poppies.

The scenes if we get rewarded a 3-0 win would be unbelievable.

We also going to wear them

4 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Any alcoholic bigot who has a meltdown anytime his beloved company is mentioned is a complete c**t.

Don't be an utter fanny, Jimmy.  I'm the alki bigot on this and most Sevco threads so don't try and be cute.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Just a comment from an innocent bystander, but the Kincardine seems to be losing the head all over the forum today.

Two views on this, young Rab.  1. Losing the head and 2. Expressing an opinion.

I do ken that the tragic diddies find it hard to distinguish between the two.

I used to wear a red poppy at this time of year.  But as the whole thing has become ever more bombastic, ever more mandatory and ever more nationalistic, it has become less and less meaningful.  When you see fighter jets emblazoned with poppies, or people dressed as giant poppies, or supermarket pizzas made to look like poppies (with salami and a black olive in the middle... seriously), or children collecting money while wearing t-shirts that say "Future Soldier" (how utterly sick does a society have to be to tolerate, let alone encourage that?), or pop concerts where poppies are showered on the stage like fake snow at a panto, or big plastic poppies on the front of a lorry (just like Red Nose Day!), or scattered in a shop window as part of the autumn range display, or flashy, tasteless, deluxe jewel-encrusted poppies (if you're rich enough to show everyone just how much you remember) ... it all becomes less about remembering the horrific, appalling deaths of literally millions upon millions of people, and more of either an empty fashion statement, or, worse, an idolatrous, uncritical celebration of the military.  It becomes exactly the kind of deferential, militaristic, dutiful patriotism that sent unimaginable numbers of young men to squalid, panicked, horrible, horrible deaths - and left so many others utterly broken in body and mind, coughing up bits of their lungs for years after.
Those men deserve to be remembered.  But it should be in a way that drives home that message of Never Again into the minds of everyone who remembers - citizens and politicians alike.  It should never be used as a tool to recruit more men and women to join their number.  People have remarked that it didn't used to be like this.  Silent, simple dignity was enough.  As long as there were still substantial numbers of men around who had fought in the First World War, their experience could not be appropriated like this.  Men like Harry Patch would never, never have allowed what they went through to be used as the basis of a national frenzy of military celebration.  But now that generation has gone, and cannot fight the final battle: the battle to control their legacy and their memory.

These days I wear a white poppy, and I read the names on the memorials in my church and my university, or on the memorial of any town or village I happen to be spending time in, and think about the lives they should have been able to live, but were denied.  I honour the silence in church and at the football.  I make a wee donation to a veterans' charity.  That's it.  What more can you really do that has any meaning?  I don't criticise those who wear the red poppy, or want to remember the dead in their own way.  But I won't go along with the celebration or the commodification.  Those, as far as I'm concerned, are the real insult. 

Oh, and we're getting gubbed in this game.  

Exhibit A, James McClean Esq. 

Conspicuous by his non-wearment of poppy. German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Serbian and notably many Irish players have worn them perhaps just to avoid the hassle, which has definitely been whipped up into a fucking frenzy since about 2003.

Let's not forget those remembrance day hoors Heart of Midlothian diddling poppy appeal charity's out of money too

Archived