England v Scotland

tartanspark

8 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Got my ticket today. You can get a rough idea of what your view will be here: http://www.wembleystadium.com/TheStadium/ViewFromYourSeat.aspx

I'm up in the nosebleeds, cracking view.

Mines are at home, i honestly can't wait. 

Not looking forward to London Prices though. 

Looks like i'm in 527, bang on the segregation 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Got my ticket today. You can get a rough idea of what your view will be here: http://www.wembleystadium.com/TheStadium/ViewFromYourSeat.aspx

I'm up in the nosebleeds, cracking view.

I was pretty much as far back as you can get for the friendly against them, and it was still a pretty good view.  

Not looking forward to this game as much as I would've been a few years ago.

Scotland are terrible and I just think we're going to get a hiding, despite England's problems.

In the space of a couple of weeks I'm seeing Scotland play at Wembley and Aberdeen in another Cup Final but from a footballing perspective I'm dreading both :lol:

It only takes a very cursory bit of investigation to find that the rules aren't drawn up by FIFA at all, but actually by a body called the International Football Association Board (IFAB).

It turns out that IFAB is made up of four representatives of FIFA and one member each from the four British football associations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). So that's 50% of the votes for British football officials, and 50% of the votes for the rest of the footballing world combined!

Given that it takes a 75% majority decision to introduce or amend a rule of the game, it's absolutely beyond doubt that British football officials approved the rule to ban political symbolism from international football fixtures, which makes the xenophobic "how dare these pesky foreigners tell us what to do?" rhetoric look more than a little bit thin.

22 hours ago, forameus said:

I was pretty much as far back as you can get for the friendly against them, and it was still a pretty good view.  

Aye, for the friendly I was in the back row of the top tier. Still a great view.

I'm in the lower tier this time though, view looks decent from the Wembley website.

England was the away I was least arsed about anyway this campaign, but after last month's debacle, really not up for it at all.

We are pretty short of options thanks to Strachan's omissions so something along these lines. With how bad our defence is we may need three defensive midfielders but Fletcher has been worse than a man down recently. Genuinely don't know who's worse between Martin/Hanley. Again not seen Kingsley enough to know. 

Marshall

Anya.    Berra  Martin/Hanley. Wallace/Kingsley

Burke    Fletcher  Mcarthur   Brown  Snodgrass

.                            Griffiths

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

We are pretty short of options thanks to Strachan's omissions so something along these lines. With how bad our defence is we may need three defensive midfielders but Fletcher has been worse than a man down recently. Genuinely don't know who's worse between Martin/Hanley. Again not seen Kingsley enough to know. 

Marshall

Anya.    Berra  Martin/Hanley. Wallace/Kingsley

Burke    Fletcher  Mcarthur   Brown  Snodgrass

.                            Griffiths

That looks like quite an interesting setup. What's Anya's history as a right back? Has he ever been asked to play as a full back by his club? Might be a possible stop gap before Paterson is ready to take over. The Martin/Hanley thing is difficult to say. Martin was causing the most mistakes in the last campaign but Hanley has been dire of late and isn't getting any time at Newcastle. I think its time to bring Berra back in out of desperation. As much as it was worth putting Martin and Hanley together for a number of years to build a partnership it's maybe time to concede that its not going to work. 

Scotland vs England, 13th of November, 1999.  Not a poppy in sight.  Anyone remember any particular outrage about it at the time?  I know it's a couple of days after Armistice Day, but the poppies don't all disappear on the 12th nowadays.  If our game this time round was being played in the 13th, I am certain this would still be being made an issue. 

poppy.jpg

I blame (The) Rangers.

That game was pre-Afghanistan and pre-Iraq, before the proles got a proper hard-on for poppies again.

Being second in the group doesn't guarantee qualification.  It's about the points tally and we've already dropped at least 3.  IMO to have any chance we need a big result and Friday has to be it or I think we can forget about it.

The weakest part of England's team is their defence, and I'd like to see us go at them from the kick off.  If the breaks went with us, got a goal early, perhaps 2 before half time, I'm not sure how well this England team could handle it.  England will almost certainly score, they usually do at Wembley, but I dont see the need to get hung up about that. We need 3 pts to counter those dropped.  A defeat or draw will probably be more or less the same thing, so as well going for it

But what I think will happen

We'll go down there with the primary aim of getting a "credible draw" - more for a little pride than necessarily helping our cause much

It'll be a long 90 minutes, we'll sit very deep, look to keep it compact, give huge amounts of territory away allowing them to get into their stride, and try and hit them on the break. Inevitably they'll break us down once or twice and that'll be that.  Hope I'm wrong obviously but that's what Im expecting.

Thistle have been experiencing similar problems with dreadful defensive options of late, and a move to a back three seems to have visibly improved us. I think Scotland have to consider a similar change, because if we go 4-2-3-1 again then - all injuries considered - we'd be doing so with possibly the worst options for that formation we've ever had in Strachan's tenure.

Having a spare man in defence who is able to play the ball out puts less onus on dreadful footballers like Danny Devine (or Hanley) to do anything more than the basics. The switch to wing-backs has also enabled Thistle to drop an out-of-their-depth right back in Ziggy Gordon (Paterson), for a more direct, attacking option in Christie Elliott (Anya). We're also far less susceptible to being overrun in midfield with at least three central midfielders always in there, rather than a sitting two getting bogged down in defensive duties.

The concern is whether any of our centre halves can step up into the ball-playing organisational role that Adam Barton has so expertly defined for all of football, or whether it would just be a collective of three jobbing grunts who would get pulled about by England's pace. I would think Martin is the one I'd be looking to place most responsibility on. It could also edge out players like Snodgrass/Ritchie/Burke who apparently we need so we can 'play to our strengths', but... *Partridge shrug*. 

So in grudging acceptance of the Grass and potato heed's inclusions, something like

Marshall

Hanley, Martin, Kingsley

Anya                                                      Wallace

Fletcher, Brown, McArthur

Griffiths, Martin

Archived