England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Paco said:

Couldn't agree with that more (although not sure about Fletcher). If we don't have pace on the flanks to carry the ball up the park and alleviate some pressure, the game is over before it starts. Sadly we all know Snodgrass and Ritchie will be the wide players, because they were so highly effective in Slovakia.

I also think our manager would be pretty happy with a 2-0 defeat, like Malta got.

I'll say it again, I was really impressed with how Fletcher looked when we were playing him as the "10" against Denmark.  When he's playing up front on his own he wants to be bringing others into play, but there's rarely many near him, at least none that are reading what he's trying to do.  So play him slightly further back with the chance of Griffiths ahead of him, and quick wingers either side.  You'll see a lot more from him.  But he's a doubt it seems, so probably a moot point.  

I wouldn't agree on the last part.  I think he knows that a defeat is likely to end his tenure, so think he'd be pretty disappointed with any kind of defeat.  

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This just in from the "clutching at straws" department...

Give Andy Murray Scotland's team talk against England, urges Barry Ferguson.

"That's a guy who hates losing and that's what we need to do on Friday, so let's get him in the dressing-room"  :huh:

It's fucking cringey.  The only bright side of that is that Murray doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would just go along with that.  He'd see it for the absolutely ridiculous straw-clutching that it is.  Plus I'm not sure you can transmit the sort of attitude, perseverance and bloody-minded hard work that Murray has gone through over near enough two decades in a few minutes pre-match.  That ship's sailed.

Rumours that Gareth Southgate is going to be confirmed as permanent England manager after this game.

Really can't see anything other than an absolute shellacking for Scotland here.  I heard Mark McGhee on the radio today mumbling about underdog triumphs, utter dreary negativity as per.  

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Heads gone?

743c4a4a89013480bcc7262c4438aeac.jpg

Good idea from Baz, in my opinion. Get a few more non-losers in to berate the players before the game.

Absolutely bossed the midfield against England at Wembley.

BBC Scotland's Chick Young sent a text to Strachan pointing out Ferguson's idea of a Murray team-talk.

The reply?

"Has been mentioned. Thanks anyway. Really appreciate it. Real disappointment is that Leigh Griffiths hasn't grown this week. See you later."

f**k sake. :lol:

On 06/11/2016 at 14:09, AMMjag said:

Thistle have been experiencing similar problems with dreadful defensive options of late, and a move to a back three seems to have visibly improved us. I think Scotland have to consider a similar change, because if we go 4-2-3-1 again then - all injuries considered - we'd be doing so with possibly the worst options for that formation we've ever had in Strachan's tenure.

Agreed.  We can't play a back 4 even when all are fit.  We've got good options at LB but we don't at RB which means the defence is out of balance and that's where the problems have been.  It's hard on Tierney and Robertson but that's just too bad.

England have a lot of pace but their defence is a weakness.  Against them, have 3 at the back, told to stay there and shut the door, with a holding midfielder for extra cover.  4 midfield in front of that and two up front to occupy their defence.  Their defenders like to bomb forward, but playing 2 up against them restricts that option.

This is based on the fact we need to try & win this game due to the previous two results.  But even if it wasn't, England expect teams to sit back and allow them the time to do what they want.  They don't look so clever when they're pressed high, and to be fair, I think our midfield looked decent at that in the last game, moved the ball about well.  The problem there was they only had one guy to aim at - then of course the wrong system in defence costing us.

Had we won the last two games, OK, well maybe, try & kill the game, churn out a draw.  But nah, it's win or bust folks.

72af4f9aa3bb2154bf7ddbd994f3628f.jpg

Would definitely play a 5 man midfield,we need a good mixture of players who will work hard at closing England down and giving them no time to build attacks and also players with speed on the wings who can defend but also get at England's defence.

Upfront Griffiths is just the player we need, he will feed off any scraps from Fletcher and make a right nuisance of himself.

Archived