England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's not me that's blinded by bias. They played better than Anya, who couldn't even control the ball, or Hanley, who's absolutely giant head seems to just wallop about on his wee straggly neck, but they were still miles from the quality you need at this level.

Was he that bad? I only watched the first half and thought he looked ok. He brought the ball out a few times and relieved the pressure, which is more than Paterson could manage at this level. 

Before the game I said England would play poorly, not get our of 2nd gear, and win easily. Although we started brightly, it was always going to take a bit of luck to score and you just knew England would take the first chance they got. It's like watching Utd the last couple of years - reasonably competent going forward but our own goal is like a magnet when the ball gets in our defensive third and we look like conceding every time it goes near our box.

Can't believe some pundits saying it was a good performance. Nevin was even saying earlier we played at the peak of our ability. England were bang average again, like they were against Iceland, Slovakia, Malta and Slovenia, and we were several levels below them in terms of technical ability, sharpness (fitness?), decision-making, etc.

I particularly enjoyed Strachan's comments about the period of the game which England treated as a training session, basically saying "ignore the bit when we were especially shite and downed tools, that doesn't count".

Those players did play at the peak of their ability.

And you can argue for anyone else (maybe with the exception hopefully of young Burke who will provide something different) but they'd have made little difference.

Someone took a shite on the floor inside the stadium before kick off.
Someone else chucked a cup of something at an England player.

No need for any of that.

Fighting with each other as well.
To be fair, the guy behind me that slept through a fair bit of it made me laugh.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Wallace I thought played well going forward but that doesn't make up for his complete inability to defend.  On the evidence of last night I'm not saying that he should never play for Scotland again as, at times, I thought he did some good work down the left, but you can't pick players who are only able to do half their job.

A decent Scotland manager would be saying to him well done but, come back when you know how to defend.

Out of all the poor performances you single out the sevco player lol

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I thought I was done with International football when Wallace, Brown and Forrest can play 90 minutes in a must win match while EPL regulars get left out, but it's been confirmed now that folk are actually suggesting their "perfprmances" were brilliant.

It's not me that's blinded by bias. They played better than Anya, who couldn't even control the ball, or Hanley, who's absolutely giant head seems to just wallop about on his wee straggly neck, but they were still miles from the quality you need at this level.

Griffiths showed why he's been benched lately, he's a greedy f**k, who like all Celtic players, only looks good because he gets about 15 chances to score every week.

I seem to remember that some zoomer suggested, in all sincerity, on this forum recently, in typical myopic Tartan Army style, that we shouldn't be picking English-born players against their own country. Exactly the sort of jingoistic rubbish that makes the TAMB so unreadable, but the suggestion went unchallenged here too. He seemed genuinely convinced that we couldn't rely on the likes of Russell Martin, Matt Ritchie etc to bother trying against England. Judging by the lineup for this game, it looked like Strachan had bought into this idea. It looked like a selection designed to appease the halfwit element of the support.

Christ knows what Strachan's issue is with Burke, a young player of genuine potential, with pace and strength, playing at a higher level than his peers. Strachan seems determined to send him a message that he is well down the pecking order.

James Forrest. WTF? He has never remotely looked like an international class footballer, yet Strachan can't seem to see past him. Brown's return and Mulgrew's call up suggested nothing more than Strachan circling the wagons, and in his paranoia reaching out to his trusted Celtic/former Celtic pals.

He clearly dropped the wrong centre half. Newcastle have already written Hanley off as a wasted investment, time he was benched for Scotland too.

Griffiths has done very little in his game time for Scotland to suggest that he is the panacea we've been looking for up front, but the paucity of our options, and growing clamour for his inclusion, were always going to result in his selection for this game. Time will tell if he can hack it at this level. His failure to play Snodgrass in at the critical moment last night wasn't particularly promising. 

Strachan is done as Scotland manager. He has always had his favourites, but last night's selection suggests he has become deeply paranoid. Move him on before he does any further damage.

Looking at it in purely a "level they play regularly at" way, our strongest 11 is...

Marshall

Bardsley - Martin - Cooper - Robertson

McArthur - Morrison

Burke - Snodgrass - Phillips

Naismith/Griffiths

Only Robertson was unavailable last night, in which case Kingsley should've come in.

Hanley is so bad it is frightening. At one point early in the first half it looked like he played a measured header back to Gordon. Then they showed the replay where it was clear he was trying to head it behind and it came off the wrong part of his head. Set the tone for the rest of his game. If he is the best we have then we are done.

Archived