England v Scotland

tartanspark

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Polomoney said:

Hanley is so bad it is frightening. At one point early in the first half it looked like he played a measured header back to Gordon. Then they showed the replay where it was clear he was trying to head it behind and it came off the wrong part of his head. Set the tone for the rest of his game. If he is the best we have then we are done.

Yes, that was in the first few minutes.

As you say, the replay shows he was clearly trying to head it up and behind him, but totally mistimed it, sending it back towards goal.  It could very easily have gone back across the goal and teed up a sitter for a forward.  Add that to his header in front of the other goal and we seem to have someone who's pretty hopeless in the air.  Unfortunately though, he only gets picked for his physicality, height and power.  Nobody thinks there's a silky footballer in there, but he's meant to be an old fashioned ball winning defender.  Sadly, that bit doesn't seem to be happening either, given the goals we lose.

I really want Hanley to be a success, what with him being a Doonhamer and everything, but there's no doubt that he seems unable to remedy his flaws.

Out of all the poor performances you single out the sevco player lol

Touchy, and since there's a superior dandy for that position I think I'm justified in pointing out Wallace's shortcomings.

Forrest, Hanley and Brown were also shit. If that makes you feel better.

If anything I was being pretty charitable about Wallace, you did watch him stand about looking lost for two of the goals, aye?

2 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

This is all the SNPs fault in some way I reckon. We used to qualify for tournaments when we voted Labour.

Trivia tangent:

By far our highest success rate, at 100% (2 from 2), came after voting Conservative & Unionist in general elections.

Labour - 29% (8 from 28)... This becomes 32% (9 from 29) if you include WC 1950 where we qualified but declined to participate.

SNP - 0% (0 from 1 but looking very much like 0 from 2 now).

23 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Touchy, and since there's a superior dandy for that position I think I'm justified in pointing out Wallace's shortcomings.

Forrest, Hanley and Brown were also shit. If that makes you feel better.

If anything I was being pretty charitable about Wallace, you did watch him stand about looking lost for two of the goals, aye?

First goal looked like Forrest got caught out and the beardy defender was out of position.

Second goal we were chasing the game and there wasn't much wrong with his timing, just a bit unlucky

Third goal I went for a dump.

Obviously with this superior sheep player we'd have won the game without breaking a sweat.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

Second goal we were chasing the game and there wasn't much wrong with his timing, just a bit unlucky

WnjEr4.gif

Watch Wallace and watch Lallana. 

Whats Wallace doing? Theres no danger behind him, he had no reason to be where he is, he should be closer to Lallana, who is the only threat he has to worry about. Instead he saunters back just assuming the ball won't get near him. Thats laziness, borne from playing against shite teams every week.

Definitely a moron

I'm not sure what's more pathetic, Scotland under WGS or that poor fellas absolutely desperate attempts to turn every Scotland match thread into a political debate.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

WnjEr4.gif

Whats Wallace doing? Theres no danger behind him, he had no reason to be where he is, he should be closer to Lallana, who is the only threat he has to worry about. Instead he saunters back just assuming the ball won't get near him. Thats laziness, borne from playing against shite teams every week.

I watched this a few times earlier and initially thought the same as you, and still do to some extent. However Sturridge makes a run to the back post which, if Wallace had gone to Lallana earlier, would have left him in acres of space, just needing a simple chipped back post cross to give him a simple goal. I think Wallace was a bit stuck in between. The bigger question is how could Lallana run from the halfway line to 8 yards without a single player tracking him or getting near him. I've heard a few pundits say Strachan got his tactics spot on, well that clearly isn't true if someone like that can stroll into the box completely unnoticed, where was the midfield?

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I watched this a few times earlier and initially thought the same as you, and still do to some extent. However Sturridge makes a run to the back post which, if Wallace had gone to Lallana earlier, would have left him in acres of space, just needing a simple chipped back post cross to give him a simple goal. I think Wallace was a bit stuck in between. The bigger question is how could Lallana run from the halfway line to 8 yards without a single player tracking him or getting near him. I've heard a few pundits say Strachan got his tactics spot on, well that clearly isn't true if someone like that can stroll into the box completely unnoticed, where was the midfield?

Wallaces momentum is taking him forwards before the balls played, so he'd have no chance of preventing any chipped cross to Sturridge either, hes just in a complete nothing area.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wallaces momentum is taking him forwards before the balls played, so he'd have no chance of preventing any chipped cross to Sturridge either, hes just in a complete nothing area.

Like I say I think I agree with you, but I think he would argue he was holding that position to prevent Sturridge getting round the back. If he'd been sucked in to Lallana earlier the ball would probably have been played to the space at the back post and we'd be slating him for being sucked in. He was left exposed by a complete failure of the midfield to provide protection. Fletcher sells himself at the start of the move and Morrison makes no attempt to cover in for him meaning Lallana can stroll into the centre of the penalty box completely unmarked. A huge part of the 4-2-3-1 system is meant to be the protection the 2 give you in front of the back 4, there was absolutely none in this instance.

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

Like I say I think I agree with you, but I think he would argue he was holding that position to prevent Sturridge getting round the back. If he'd been sucked in to Lallana earlier the ball would probably have been played to the space at the back post and we'd be slating him for being sucked in. He was left exposed by a complete failure of the midfield to provide protection. Fletcher sells himself at the start of the move and Morrison makes no attempt to cover in for him meaning Lallana can stroll into the centre of the penalty box completely unmarked. A huge part of the 4-2-3-1 system is meant to be the protection the 2 give you in front of the back 4, there was absolutely none in this instance.

If that had happened I'd have been blaming Forrest for not covering, just I like blamed Snodgrass for failing to track back in the previous game. Incidentally Forrest was our furthest forward player when that goal went in.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If that had happened I'd have been blaming Forrest for not covering, just I like blamed Snodgrass for failing to track back in the previous game. Incidentally Forrest was our furthest forward player when that goal went in.

Not sure why that is relevant, he's the second/third most attacking player in the team and we were having a good attacking spell, a 5 man midfield is meant to allow for 1 or 2 of the midfielders to be caught ahead of the ball through trying to get us a goal, whilst still having enough bodies to be solid should we lose the ball. Lallana strolled from the middle of the park through the centre of the penalty box while 2 of the central midfielders were nowhere to be seen. If we are expecting our attacking wide men to be creating goals one minute, then defending their own goal 10 seconds later 8 yards out then I think there is maybe a slight tactical flaw in there somewhere.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure why that is relevant, he's the second/third most attacking player in the team and we were having a good attacking spell, a 5 man midfield is meant to allow for 1 or 2 of the midfielders to be caught ahead of the ball through trying to get us a goal, whilst still having enough bodies to be solid should we lose the ball. Lallana strolled from the middle of the park through the centre of the penalty box while 2 of the central midfielders were nowhere to be seen. If we are expecting our attacking wide men to be creating goals one minute, then defending their own goal 10 seconds later 8 yards out then I think there is maybe a slight tactical flaw in there somewhere.

Because we werent in possession in the build up to the goal, so there was no reason for him to be further forward than the striker when the balls in the air 30 yards from our own goal. It wasnt some swift counter attack, it was a long hoof, then two headers on from Hanley, then Morrison lost a header in our own half, then the build up to the goal.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Because we werent in possession in the build up to the goal, so there was no reason for him to be further forward than the striker when the balls in the air 30 yards from our own goal. It wasnt some swift counter attack, it was a long hoof, then two headers on from Hanley, then Morrison lost a header in our own half, then the build up to the goal.

Except he wasn't further forward than Griffiths at all, watch the footage, in fact he was so much deeper than Griffiths that Griffiths isn't even in shot!

Forrest's job would have been to track Walker and he was 10 yards goalside of Walker for the entire move. Exactly where he should be. That goal has absolutely nothing to do with Forrest.

It is the fault partly of Wallace, and mainly the structure/application of our central midfield.

Was expecting us to get pumped but wasn't expecting to feel like we didn't deserve it. 3 shots on target and all of them hit the back of the net, if only we were so clinical.

Got more and more drunk after the 3rd goal went in, did Burke get on the pitch? 

Has to be time for Strachan now, never mind waiting until it's mathematically impossible. Better to get someone else in now to have plenty of games to find our best players to suit whatever style he wants to play, and get us ready for the next campaign.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

WnjEr4.gif

while i agree about wallace there, id like to also point out for both first and second goals that our midfield are fucking nowhere and the issue starts in that area of the pitch, the first goal brown was sent to the stands by sterling with the simplest of dummies and the goal your video shows, 2 england players actually try to control a ball from the sky with not one scotland player within 10 yards of them, then anya for some reason comes inside to stand next to his 2 centre halves (yeah he's not a proper full back, feel a bit sorry for him tbh) allowing the freedom of wembley for the crosser of the ball, then wallace simply switches off and gets caught ball watching

Archived