England v Scotland

tartanspark

Agreed. We are very much in a "battle" for 4th spot. A battle I`m not convinced we will win. No argument from me there.

Also agree Hart had no credible shots to save. That`s not to say we didn`t do enough to make some good chances. I suspect we are actually saying much the same thing from a different perspective. Both views might just be valid champ.

They didn't actually make good chances and so they weren't holding their own. England did so quite easily, took a couple, missed a few more and then strolled through the last forty minutes. It wasn't a credible contest as soon as the opening goal was scored.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People praising Anya and Wallace?

We lost 2 goals to crosses which decent "full backs" could and should have prevented. Hence IMHO they were both poor.

Is that OK Benny? Nothing to do with Wallace playing for the dark side

It's quite clear after tonight's that:

1. 4-2-3-1 formation doesn't work

2. We need to play with two upfront

3. Snodgrass is vastly over rated

4. Our defensive coaching, especially at set pieces is abysmal.

5. Forrest is still rotten in a Scotland shirt

6. Strachan and McGhee haven't got a clue and have no idea how to turn it around.

7. SFA should be sacked on mass for gross misconduct. Their malaise regarding our national team is a disgrace.

8. The manager needs to stop circling the wagons and trying to paint abject performances otherwise.

9. The phrase "not a must win" should be banned from Scottish squad.

10. Confidence plays a huge part in the game, and tonight was perfect example. Engerlund are average and were there for the taking, and we lost 3-0. Apart from a good tactician, it's the air of negativity around the squad that is really doing us in.

9 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

It's quite clear after tonight's that:

1. 4-2-3-1 formation doesn't work

2. We need to play with two upfront

3. Snodgrass is vastly over rated

4. Our defensive coaching, especially at set pieces is abysmal.

5. Forrest is still rotten in a Scotland shirt

6. Strachan and McGhee haven't got a clue and have no idea how to turn it around.

7. SFA should be sacked on mass for gross misconduct. Their malaise regarding our national team is a disgrace.

8. The manager needs to stop circling the wagons and trying to paint abject performances otherwise.

9. The phrase "not a must win" should be banned from Scottish squad.

10. Confidence plays a huge part in the game, and tonight was perfect example. Engerlund are average and were there for the taking, and we lost 3-0. Apart from a good tactician, it's the air of negativity around the squad that is really doing us in.

Why wait until Sunday?

Erm no they were not "at least a match". In that hour Hart had literally no credible shot at him to chuck in the back of his net. Scotland had many spells of slow paced, ultimately aimless possession. The only threat that they posed came in the five minutes between the start of the second half and shipping the second goal - and they didn't actually create a clear-cut chance anyway. England played in second gear throughout.

There can be no doubt that Scotland are battling it out with Lithuania as the fourth best team in a dire group.

Nonsense.

We were well in the game but didn't take our chances. Shots for the keeper to save is one stat, the Forrest chance, the snodgrass chance, the hanley chance, and Griffiths failing to slide the pass through were all big moments in that match.

We lacked the quality to take them, and were severely punished.

Nonsense.

We were well in the game but didn't take our chances. Shots for the keeper to save is one stat, the Forrest chance, the snodgrass chance, the hanley chance, and Griffiths failing to slide the pass through were all big moments in that match.

We lacked the quality to take them, and were severely punished.

And Lithuania? And Slovakia?

England played poorly, yet still scored 3 goals, missed an open goal from 2 yards out, and took the piss for the last 20 minutes. Unfortunately the idea that we were ever realistically a threat in this game is utter nonsense. Hart, quite literally, didn't make a save all game. Even if we'd equalised, we'd have retreated and crumbled within minutes under the slightest pressure. We have a lower English Championship level defence, playing against a top 4 Premier League attack. 

And Lithuania? And Slovakia?

What about them?

I thought that was a very similar match to the Slovakia match, but we had clearer chances tonight.

We don't have an acceptable defence for this level. How much that is down to Strachan is a debatable point, and one I don't know the answer to.

Is Strachan worse than Vogts? I think there's certainly a case to be made now.

I suppose he's now away at least, but the effect of his legacy is that I'm now too disenchanted with the national team to care.

He's quite clearly worse. We finished 2nd in a group under Vogts and beat a very good Holland side at Hampden in a playoff. We have finished 4th twice under WGS and are currently 5th.

For me Strachan is the worst Scotland manager of all time. The regression under him has been remarkable, and it's summed up perfectly in the last two games. Against very average opposition in Slovakia and England, we rolled over and got our tummies tickled on both occasions. We couldn't even put up a fight and got hosed 3 zip in both of them.

What about them?

I thought that was a very similar match to the Slovakia match, but we had clearer chances tonight.

We don't have an acceptable defence for this level. How much that is down to Strachan is a debatable point, and one I don't know the answer to.

In Slovakia we downed tools at two down, completely unacceptable.

I will give you that Slovakia were there for the taking and we looked good early on in the match, just as we did tonight. We lost both 3-0. I would take a dour 1-0 win and forgo the early promise with no end product.

If we are aiming for play off or qualify. We must beat Lithuania at home. Slovakia showed us how it should be done tonight.

I'm fed up with bad luck, and oh what about those chances and glorious failure.

I agree with your view on the defence.

Forrest is a scapegoat, he was much better than Snodgrass tonight, Surprisingly nothing has been said about the absolute sitter he missed. 

There is no impartiality from Scotland fans, its either we like you or we don't and that's part of the reason why the national team is so pish - the acceptance of shite players on the mere basis that they are likeable.

The key example being the "Talisman Snodgrass". 

Naithsmith and Burke should be starting ahead of him.

That was the outcome i feared would happen ..Scoreline looks pretty convincing but the only positive is we never camped in our own half and let them have all the possession ( with the same or worse outcome)..Effort can only get you so far but until we have Scottish players getting a start for teams at the highest club level theres always going to be a gulf..New manager ?? Aye ok ,,neeeeext...

3 minutes ago, Contra said:

For what its worth, I think if we play like that for the rest of the campaign we'll finish second.

If we play like the second best team in the rest of the matches we'll finish second? Wow.

Forrest is a scapegoat, he was much better than Snodgrass tonight, Surprisingly nothing has been said about the absolute sitter he missed. 

There is no impartiality from Scotland fans, its either we like you or we don't and that's part of the reason why the national team is so pish - the acceptance of shite players on the mere basis that they are likeable.

The key example being the "Talisman Snodgrass". 

Naithsmith and Burke should be starting ahead of him.

Snodgrass provided excellent delivery at set pieces tonight.....He also has scored goals n provided assists. Forrest has given zero in a Scotland shirt. He isn't a scapegoat he's just useless. Before game the apologists were claiming he would protect Wallace better than Burke could.....first 2 goals from that channel.....

Archived