Teams folding

FMC14

Seen last night a team local to me Bailleston thistle have folded its horrible to see and that's a few successful well ran teams around the east end folded in the past few years Bannerman,Wellhouse for example.

It looks like people just don't want to play football anymore from what I can see. Im only 20 myself and play Saturday Sunday and wanto be involved in football as much as I can or needed. I basically helped my Sunday team build a squad by bringing pals and pals of pals.

So when I see good clubs folding round about my area I start to think I know lots of good players wether it be few years older or few years younger who could if properly motivated keep all these clubs going.

Boys just ain't as interested, and that goes for all levels. More folk work weekends, go on holidays etc.

Also society has changed, men do far more with kids/family than they used to. It's now expected for dads to either spent time with families or for single parent dads to have their kids during weekends.

Also a small point that might contribute... teams can use all 5 subs which keeps players happy, when it used to be the subs would move to another club. It's a very positive thing I thin, but doesn't help struggling clubs to recruit at all. Just my opinion, and I support the 5 sub rule

Also, death of traditional boozers that ran amateur teams hasn't helped. Smoking ban killed them. Think how much money these places used to contribute via buying kit or paying fees or providing free venues for fundraisers. A lot of that's stopped.

Also this ridiculous increase to running costs like compulsory insurance and cost of 3GS.

49 minutes ago, Mr Tee said:

Also, death of traditional boozers that ran amateur teams hasn't helped. Smoking ban killed them.

I don't see the connection. I accept that some pubs may have closed down, allegedly because of the smoking ban, but are you claiming that they were the only ones that happened to run an amateur football team?

I don't see the connection. I accept that some pubs may have closed down, allegedly because of the smoking ban, but are you claiming that they were the only ones that happened to run an amateur football team?

I think he means that the loss of income for the majority of pubs due to the smoking ban ( and the stricter drink drive laws ) is effecting how much the pubs are sponsoring clubs. Something I agree with. My last season in Amateur football we were getting less than we was10 years ago, the pub we were loyal to just wasn't making the same money. And a lot of my mates teams are reporting the same. That being said I think the main reason for all these teams folding is down to lack of players rather than cash

I think he means that the loss of income for the majority of pubs due to the smoking ban ( and the stricter drink drive laws ) is effecting how much the pubs are sponsoring clubs. Something I agree with. My last season in Amateur football we were getting less than we was10 years ago, the pub we were loyal to just wasn't making the same money. And a lot of my mates teams are reporting the same. That being said I think the main reason for all these teams folding is down to lack of players rather than cash

Aye sorry that's what I meant. 10 years ago we would have a pub to go to after games and for race nights etc and in return they gave us money for fees or strips etc. That happens on a much smaller scale now, and many boozers have stopped it as they can't afford it. Many pubs have stopped having teams all together as the last thing they need is 16 pissed up lads causing bother on a Sat or Sund afternoon.

It's much less common to have a group of pals drinking down the "local" boozer now, especially with pub chains like JD Westherpoons dotted in most towns.

Just one part of a bigger picture, one of many reasons

I agree the main reason is lack of players and as I said before for me it's simple, boys have more on and football just doesn't figure as highly as it once did. Some of the reasons my players miss games is incredible (cake tasting for a wedding, car shopping, DIY, babysitting, stag do's, work, holidays and generally anything that crops up) - but you either accept it or have no players. Happens at Junior and Senior level so what chance have we got.

Aye sorry that's what I meant. 10 years ago we would have a pub to go to after games and for race nights etc and in return they gave us money for fees or strips etc. That happens on a much smaller scale now, and many boozers have stopped it as they can't afford it. Many pubs have stopped having teams all together as the last thing they need is 16 pissed up lads causing bother on a Sat or Sund afternoon.

It's much less common to have a group of pals drinking down the "local" boozer now, especially with pub chains like JD Westherpoons dotted in most towns.

Just one part of a bigger picture, one of many reasons

I agree the main reason is lack of players and as I said before for me it's simple, boys have more on and football just doesn't figure as highly as it once did. Some of the reasons my players miss games is incredible (cake tasting for a wedding, car shopping, DIY, babysitting, stag do's, work, holidays and generally anything that crops up) - but you either accept it or have no players. Happens at Junior and Senior level so what chance have we got.

Going for lunch was an all time favourite excuse I've heard. Changed days

Has there ever been an introspective look at why clubs are loosing players. Does the club to everything it can to keep boys? Is the training good, enjoyable but with purpose? Do they players get looked after on game days? Are players treated fairly and consistency with no favourites? 

Or is it too easy to look outside the club and blame everything else from lack of interest, or players not sticking around if they aren't playing... surely there are factors that can be managed? 

The clubs I played for in the past held big squads, decent sides mind, but importantly the manager was fair in the decisions made. Consistent with team selection and based his choices on team selection on the same things each week. We also had a brilliant coach, so got on with everyone but also done some great drills that we could see taking into a game. So guys who werent maybe starting every week were still staying around because they knew if they done better or trained harder (which they enjoyed) then they would get their chance. 

On 11/10/2016 at 13:54, geo87 said:

Players getting looked after on "game" days!?

It's amateur fitbaw ffs

So? Does that mean we cant try to be as professional as possible? I'm at every game an hour / hour half before KO to get the dressing room ready, strips hung up, I supply fruit and sweets for the boys. We bring towels/shower gel/deodorant for the team. I try to set a standard of the park that I want matched by the boys. 

The team meet up in a local pub who look after us for half an hour before every game too, before heading to the park - normally as a team. When they turn up, the cones are out, bibs are ready and where they need to be to warm up.. we have a chat in the dressing room, I speak personally to those not in the 11 and my reasons for it then I announce the side to play.  

Were not the best team, but since I've got involved the standard has jumped. I terms of commitment (maybe 12-14 at training), level of each individual player is higher, the effort and fitness is higher. And in the first few months of the season we've got better. Now we AVERAGE 20 at every single training.... and we're becoming a better team for it. 

So, given we're in the bottom division of an afternoon league (with serious ambition to move through the divisions) - playing an average standard of opposition... something must be attracting players and making the existing ones want to stick around and improve. Personally, I think how I and the rest of the committee treat them makes a huge difference. The effort we put in off field espeically in game days makes a difference. 

So? Does that mean we cant try to be as professional as possible? I'm at every game an hour / hour half before KO to get the dressing room ready, strips hung up, I supply fruit and sweets for the boys. We bring towels/shower gel/deodorant for the team. I try to set a standard of the park that I want matched by the boys. 

The team meet up in a local pub who look after us for half an hour before every game too, before heading to the park - normally as a team. When they turn up, the cones are out, bibs are ready and where they need to be to warm up.. we have a chat in the dressing room, I speak personally to those not in the 11 and my reasons for it then I announce the side to play.  

Were not the best team, but since I've got involved the standard has jumped. I terms of commitment (maybe 12-14 at training), level of each individual player is higher, the effort and fitness is higher. And in the first few months of the season we've got better. Now we AVERAGE 20 at every single training.... and we're becoming a better team for it. 

So, given we're in the bottom division of an afternoon league (with serious ambition to move through the divisions) - playing an average standard of opposition... something must be attracting players and making the existing ones want to stick around and improve. Personally, I think how I and the rest of the committee treat them makes a huge difference. The effort we put in off field espeically in game days makes a difference. 

Well said mate, nothing wrong at all with trying to give the players a more professional set up. I notice u said ur pub look after you before the game. If u don't mind me asking, in regards to doing what?

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

Getting noshed off by sounds of things.

If a boy gave up football because he didn't get sweets before a game he deserves a doin

Nice of you to take time out of filming Eastenders to comment on here Danny Dyer.

3 hours ago, geo87 said:

Getting noshed off by sounds of things.

If a boy gave up football because he didn't get sweets before a game he deserves a doin

Some teams go about it in the right manner trying to better their club. Hats off to you gunner the small things make the big difference and what you do is commendable. Think more teams try and be that bit more professional about running their club and it usually pays off by being an attractive proposition for players not wanting to play for a shambles of a team. Well done sir !

56 minutes ago, The Borrheid Bull said:

How long can you keep the nanny mentally up for though? By the sounds of things gunner you've only just taken up management.

A don't think it's nanny mentality tbh and it can go on for as long as you have a willing committee in place to do it

We played Gunner's team last weekend and they were a pretty decent side imo. Well organised etc.

Half the battle for us is getting players to training, we're based out in Argyll so have a lot of guys that are working away, on islands etc and a few of the boys are students in Glasgow so fair play to them for coming home to play at weekends.

We ask players to pay a monthly fee regardless of whether they train or not as with the numbers we get it just wouldn't be sustainable to run a team and asking guys to pay a couple of quid a night at training. The fee also covers bus bookings as most our away games are in the Glasgow area.

I think there's a team from our league folded already (one of the new teams) which shows how difficult it is to get guys to commit to amateur football.

On 13/10/2016 at 14:27, Gunner said:

come now gunner, its all well and fine saying that, but you know it doesnt last, these guys bursting their hump at training but not playing will eventually get pissed off, maybe in the lower divisions of league set ups you can chop and change the matchday team to keep guys interested, but in the top leagues where opponents are tough everyweek, playing the same best 11 is imperative and guys on the sidelines eventually get fucked off

Last season my lot won the cup (beat your mob in the semi final btw ;) ) and already ive lost 3 guys this season because they cant get regular game time due to the top division being so tough and us having to use the best guys we have

Archived