The Famous v The Spoon-Burners: The Renfrewshire Derby Thread

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David Clarkson in central midfield alongside Kyle Hutton? I realise I'm asking for one of them to have a great game, but that's up there with Duffy's two centre backs in central midfield and two central midfielders out wide approach to the New Year game last season.

11 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

With only 3 fit defenders I reckon it will be a repeat of Saturday's 3-5-2 formation. Hope we drop Hardie as he is too lazy in my opinion and although Walsh isn't much better at least he can have a go at the opposition although his tracking back and tackling are pretty non-existent. If Rocco is out Mallan will play deep limiting our forward play. 0-0 borefest.

We have scored in every game at cappielow and only had 1 clean sheet in the league at home against Raith Rovers, BTTS looks like free money!

17 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Yeah I'd think about half that number (600-700 odd) might make the trip. 

It's a Tuesday night and we are in hoaching form. 

It is an absolute stick on Morton win and Saturday is massive. Lose both and we are one foot in League 1. 

Surprised by that. Would always think the away team would take at least 4 figures for this game regardless of form or time of game.

Guess it shows how much this derby has declined over the years!

29 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

On Saturday they said they are covering the game tonight. One of the presenters is ill leaving the other guy having to talk non stop for over two hours. The radio coverage got some stick on Saturday but considering these are students with no affiliation to St Mirren I reckon they do a great job.

Yeah, I think they're decent enough. I doubt there'd be any complaints if we were top three and playing well - the general fug around the club is going to see anyone and everyone taking stick atm.

The GMFC twitter account has been talking about 'settling the score' tonight. Not quite sure how they're going to win 17 years' worth of games in one night, but they're obviously confident.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

David Clarkson in central midfield alongside Kyle Hutton? I realise I'm asking for one of them to have a great game, but that's up there with Duffy's two centre backs in central midfield and two central midfielders out wide approach to the New Year game last season.

Rae decided we only needed 3 midfielders - Hutton, Quinn and Mallan - for the whole season. Also decided we did not need a left back (at all) and signed 3 central defenders (in addition to Baird) 2 of whom have a history of injuries (McKenzie and Webster). He also signed 5 forwards (Sutton, Clarkson, Shankland, Hardie and Walsh) for two positions.

Poor Ross has inherited the most unbalanced squad I reckon I have ever witnessed. If we do not play 4-2-3-1 then there are players playing out of position. Any injuries to midfielders then we have players playing out of position. Hence Clarkson probably in midfield tonight. Rae was far worse than Murray and that is saying something.

16 minutes ago, madton said:

Surprised by that. Would always think the away team would take at least 4 figures for this game regardless of form or time of game.

Given our recent form also if it was the weekend it would be 4 figures easily. But you'll have alot of folk not going who would usually take kids etc down.  

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, I think they're decent enough. I doubt there'd be any complaints if we were top three and playing well - the general fug around the club is going to see anyone and everyone taking stick atm.

The GMFC twitter account has been talking about 'settling the score' tonight. Not quite sure how they're going to win 17 years' worth of games in one night, but they're obviously confident.

17 years or 9 league games, whatever way you want to spin it!

However a crushing victory that sends the burners towards relegation would be a somewhat significant step in banishing the shite run against them.

Get them doon!

17 hours ago, GiGi said:

When did pointless factors like 'form' and shit ever affect this fixture anyway?

It's our time though. I can feel it.

You should make a wee poster with a picture of Jai Quitongo celebrating and the phrase #thistime underneath it.  I heard that went well for the last mob that done so.

57 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The twitter account has been trying to build up two games against teams which have a poor record (yourselves and Ayr).

Given the club's previous lack of communication, this sort of stuff is a revelation for us.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

:lol:

I was genuinely kidding on. That's got minter written all over it.

Our club has been poor at marketing itself in the past. This year they've put a real effort into it and whether some posters might be a 'minter' or not doesn't really matter to me - it's good to see them finally do things like this rather than heehaw.

Just now, Scosha said:

Our club has been poor at marketing itself in the past. This year they've put a real effort into it and whether some posters might be a 'minter' or not doesn't really matter to me - it's good to see them finally do things like this rather than heehaw.

Fair enough, it just leaves you open for a "good feeling down Cappielow way" type situation.

1 hour ago, madton said:

After being up in the top flight for near a decade we've been utterly hopeless. 3 years of rubbish results and football kills the appetite somewhat, esp when you have to pay away on a Tuesday night. We get 2,800-3,000 fans at home and it is a big ask to get half of them to go away when we are playing so poorly. I'm not going tonight cause I don't think it's worth it. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Poor Ross has inherited the most unbalanced squad I reckon I have ever witnessed. If we do not play 4-2-3-1 then there are players playing out of position. Any injuries to midfielders then we have players playing out of position. Hence Clarkson probably in midfield tonight. Rae was far worse than Murray and that is saying something.

This. Rae has bought better players than Murray did, but Murray at least bought with a shape in mind, so we could fill the holes in the squad. Rae initially got rid of the poor players and thus turned us into a competent team. However given the task of building a team he just went for the football manager computer game approach of 'he's a good player' without any consideration as to whether we need more strikers (we didn't) or whether there was any gaping holes in our squad (there was). This has turned Rocco Quinn in his time out injured into something equivalent of Paul Scholes, such is the weakness of our midfield. 

5 hours ago, Pride_of_the_Clyde said:

The latest in the enteral and interminable quarrel between these two.

With no one quite able to say why two clubs so far apart are rivals - we get desperate and tortured efforts from supporters trying to fuel any sort of emnity.

When both are reduced to labelling the other as poverty-stricken and drug-addicted, one wonders what on Earth this sinister little fixture is all about.

Count me out and come to your senses too.

Or you could just f**k off then.

Archived