Hamilton Academical FC vs Aberdeen FC

Definitely the right game to rest the likes of McGinn, Hayes etc, possibly Rooney as well to give Stockley a chance. 

Would like to see Burns and Miles Storey start this one but Deek is known for wholesale changes so who knows.

2-0 the Dandies 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the term 'rest players', as if we're good enough to do that.

I remember last season people wanted to rest players against Hibs in the league cup, we were well and truly pumped and it triggered the start of our spectacular October collapse. 

Drop McGinn cos he's not playing great. Bring in Jack cos he's one of our best players, move our best left back to left back etc etc. 

The squad is there to be used, it's a long season and with Celtic at home on Saturday I think it's the right game to make a few changes and give the likes of Burns and Storey some game time. 

I can see Jack coming in for McLean and Stockley coming in for Rooney but apart from that I doubt Del will make any other changes, anyway. 

This will be a tough one at a venue we have struggled at generally over the last decade. Hamilton are always a tough prospect to play against, and certainly make it a tough fight every game down there. Even with our good record on 4G surfaces, this will be tough.

As such, I really cannot see many changes being made, nor would I make many changes. Perhaps Burns or Storey in for McGinn but barring that, no changes. I would take Jack on midway through the second half to get some sharpness in his legs for Saturday coming, as I'd start him beside Shinnie then. While I'd like to see Storey and Stockley play some minutes in this one, we need to put out as close to our strongest team as is possible.

Hamilton, from what I have seen, have not been playing too badly at all this season, just cannot see games over the line. Donati appears to have been an excellent signing, whilst the midfield will be their usual dogged selves. While Martin Canning gets a lot of criticism, perhaps justified given his win percentage, there's no doubt that if he keeps Accies up again, it will be a superb achievement.

Based on the above, I'll go 2-1 the Famous, Rooney and Hayes, Crawford for Accies.

Tough game but hopefully the extra few days off will work in our favour. If we're going two up top I'd start with Brophy and D'Acol with the option of Bingham on for D'Acol later in the game.

A point from this game wouldn't be a disaster but I've a feeling we'll get beat 2-1.

Head to Head:

Last 5 games, back to 2010/11, Hamilton score first.

1-1   2434 attendance Sunday

0-3   3095 attendance Sunday

3-0   4093 attendance Friday

1-1   2140 attendance Monday

0-1   2968 attendance Wednesday

Average gate, 2946.

So not a lot in it historically, at least in the last 5-6 years. I still expect the dons to win though, 2-0. Here's hoping! 

Fun fact: none of the last 9 games between the sides has taken place on a Saturday. The three ties this season are all scheduled to be midweek as well. The last 3pm Saturday game took place in 2010 and finished 4-0 to the Dons with Paul Hartley scoring a hattrick of penalties.

I'm sure the game at Pittodrie when Alex Neil was booked on the touchline was a 3pm Saturday kick-off. It was the season before last and we won 3-0. 

Sure was. Pissing down, we were shite, and there were about 50 Accies fans. However, we haven't had a Saturday at 3pm at NDP since the 6th of March, 2010 - Flávio Paixao scored.

Dragging my weary old bones down the road again for this one. 

Lewis

Logan O'Connor Considine Shinnie

Jack McLean

Burns Maddison Hayes

Stockley

TIme for DM to start using the squad. Reynolds had another bad mistake on Saturday. Could have got us knocked out. Storey to come on later in the game. Any win will do me.

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Sure was. Pissing down, we were shite, and there were about 50 Accies fans. However, we haven't had a Saturday at 3pm at NDP since the 6th of March, 2010 - Flávio Paixao scored.

For reasons difficult to comprehend on reflection, I regrettably attended this match. Surely the smallest Dons away following I've ever been a part of for a top-flight fixture. If I remember correctly, Zander Diamond scored our equaliser and then, right at the death, Steven MacLean had the chance to break and win it for us on the counter, but somehow managed to play himself offside from Langfield's pass. I don't particularly like admitting that I remember these things, but I do. It really was not a game oozing with quality football.

Archived