Raith v Queens (4th v 3rd) Alba Live 29th October @ 1715 hours.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a night off work for that, can't quite believe how honking that game was until the last minute winner, made it all worthwhile.

Q.o.S definitely shaded it, no question about that, wouldn't go to say they deserved the win, both teams didn't really show enough.  

Cuthbert and the back four look so solid, Davo actually looks capable at RB, despite being third choice there, M'Voto and Bene were outstanding and McHattie was just superb, easily his best game for us.  Remember all the stick he got on here before he had even kicked a ball for us? Apart from Johnson, who had a good game, nobody really looked like a threat in midfield or up front. McManus had a right stinker.  

What a time for a KO, slap, bang in the middle of tea time, it's no on in my book. 

did you honestly see us winning that game. i dont think anyone did it was a nothing non football game of the lowest quality. end of.

For both teams then. Our defence dealt with everything that came to them. M'Voto and McHattie were brilliant. Johnston also

4 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

For both teams then. Our defence dealt with everything that came to them. M'Voto and McHattie were brilliant. Johnston also

i didnt see either team winning to be honest. queens had 2 good chances in the first half and fluffed them so we didnt deal with everything that came our way it was simply a ver poor game by 2 teams who were unbelievably bad on the day. thats football but what matters is we got (stole) 3 points.

We were dreadful spoke to Gary Locke after the game and he said same thing how we managed to get three points from the worst performance all season?? Queen of the South must be wondering where it all went wrong loads of possession nae finishing:rolleyes:

Queens have done no such thing. At a guess I'd have thought 200ish for this. We've typically been taking 300 - 350 to away games this season but clearly the evening kick off with the game on tv is likely to reduce that a bit.

93 Queens fans in the end, so the Main Stand was right. To be fair at least 96 made the journey, as I seen three young lads being turned away and getting involved in a shoving/swearing match with the stewards as a result. Classy.

We were dire, Queens were only marginally better but the only moment of quality produced the only goal. Easy to see why they can't score goals with a very basic 442, with Anderson on the right and a big donkey on the left to win the high balls. Basic stuff which is easy to play against unless Dobbie can get on the ball. Stop him, you stop Queens. Sadly we look even easier to play against, with a basic 442 with no aerial threat, not that that stops a barrage of long balls, reliant on McManus or Stewart picking up a mistake or the full backs getting beyond the winger. With Davidson at RB that's never happening so it was down to McHattie/Johnston, by no coincidence our best players by a distance on the night. Thought we set up like an away team and more frustratingly Locke didn't make a change to try and win the game until the 88th minute. Incredibly it worked!

A dire performance in a genuinely terrible game of football but picking up three points is terrific. We probably didn't deserve the point we took from Hibs in our last home match either but it's contributed to 7 from 9 against Falkirk, Hibs and Queens. That kind of form will get us into the top 4.

Ultimately we're two points better off than we were at this stage last season, and about to embark on one win in 12. I'd be stunned if we match our form in last season's run-in so if we can defy the clocks curse and pick up steady results between now and Christmas we'll be in a good spot.

Still don't know what to make of us but the league table looks good. All hail Gary Locke...

Given we didn't actually muster a shot on target until we scored in the 89th minute, you can quite easily say it's a shock win. Certainly at no point watching that did i think we were ever going to score. 

The game today again showed how much we miss Jason Thomson. RATM touched upon it earlier, but we had no outlet at all going down the right until Skacel came on and made me eat the words I uttered as to his likely impact on the game, with a brilliant cross into Mark Stewart. Looking at the players there, you can see how: a defensively-minded CM playing RM and a Centre Back filling in at RB. I like Matthews, but he can struggle to make an impact in that position going forward, albeit we get away with it when Thomson is playing. With Thomson he can slot in behind when the overlap is on, though today he was obviously never going to have that option and consequently struggled trying to do the attacking work himself. 

Chris Johnston I was quite impressed with today - looked lively and was our only outfield player who looked on the ball in the first half. McHattie was excellent after HT as well, and if we'd been able to get the ball down a bit more rather than lumping it at Mark Stewart, we could've perhaps had more attacking prowess to offer if we'd focused attacks down the left. McManus was anonymous today, which led to me forgetting he was playing. 

93 Queens fans in the end, so the Main Stand was right. To be fair at least 96 made the journey, as I seen three young lads being turned away and getting involved in a shoving/swearing match with the stewards as a result. Classy.

We were dire, Queens were only marginally better but the only moment of quality produced the only goal. Easy to see why they can't score goals with a very basic 442, with Anderson on the right and a big donkey on the left to win the high balls. Basic stuff which is easy to play against unless Dobbie can get on the ball. Stop him, you stop Queens. Sadly we look even easier to play against, with a basic 442 with no aerial threat, not that that stops a barrage of long balls, reliant on McManus or Stewart picking up a mistake or the full backs getting beyond the winger. With Davidson at RB that's never happening so it was down to McHattie/Johnston, by no coincidence our best players by a distance on the night. Thought we set up like an away team and more frustratingly Locke didn't make a change to try and win the game until the 88th minute. Incredibly it worked!

A dire performance in a genuinely terrible game of football but picking up three points is terrific. We probably didn't deserve the point we took from Hibs in our last home match either but it's contributed to 7 from 9 against Falkirk, Hibs and Queens. That kind of form will get us into the top 4.

Ultimately we're two points better off than we were at this stage last season, and about to embark on one win in 12. I'd be stunned if we match our form in last season's run-in so if we can defy the clocks curse and pick up steady results between now and Christmas we'll be in a good spot.

Still don't know what to make of us but the league table looks good. All hail Gary Locke...

I was sat in the home end with ma wife and met quite a number of other QOS fans and old mates from dumb fries during the course of the evening !!!

1 hour ago, Paco said:

93 Queens fans in the end, so the Main Stand was right.

Never said it wasnt (though its an awful view from there), I merely guaranteed Queens hadnt suggested under 100 would travel. In the end though, allowing for a handful who went to the home end that is what was there. Disappointing but indicative of the run we are on, the kick off time and the fact it was on tv. Equally disappointing home crowd too. Raith will be delighted it was picked for tv!

As for the game, we were robbed pretty much but we paid the price for not scoring again.. We probably just about did enough to win without creating as many chances as against Ayr last week but we certainly didnt deserve to lose. Dobbie's chance in the first minute was the best of the game. Good save from Cuthbert but he should have scored. Think the only thing of note Robinson had to do before the goal was palm a cross over his own bar first half when it might have drifted in. Marshall had a good game but was at fault in losing possession on the goal, albeit it was on halfway. Somebody obviously lost Stewart but will need to see it again. My angled view was poor.

Another hard luck story unfortunately. Played ok. We have only really played badly v Morton and maybe to an extent at Dumbarton but if you cant score you wont win obviously and we have now played more than 7.5 hours of league football without scoring. Over 10 hours of 90 minute matches if you throw in two cup ties (albeit we scored two in extra time of one of them). It was all coming so freely before that! :(

What are the terms of the Alba deal?  How much do the teams receive? The way I see it getting chosen for the live game on that channel costs a team money.  We can't run a team on 1,244 punters.

1 hour ago, bagpuss said:

What are the terms of the Alba deal?  How much do the teams receive? The way I see it getting chosen for the live game on that channel costs a team money.  We can't run a team on 1,244 punters.

If you can understand Gaelic you can understand the terms of the deal.

IIRC Alba chip in an amount and it goes into a pool paid out to the masses.

Yeah that's my understanding of how it works too. 

Having the game on TV, and at tea time, probably cost us around 500 fans. Doing a bit of rough maths would suggest it's a loss of around £7k in gate money.

Yes, it is very comforting, particularly as St.Mirren are due a win. 

What could possibly go wrong?

[emoji38]

Until Tuesday night when we play our game in hand against the worst team in the division, at home. Unlucky.

Guess it must be those crumbs of comfort that help you cope with your bubble being burst in spectacular fashion though.

Despite a severe loss of form we are still above your lot. Every cloud and all that.

Thanks for playing anyway.

1478039226515.jpg.466f826f0038b02acd281d

Archived