St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

Good results for both teams on Wednesday night.

With Thistle it's careful to strike a balance with a decent win at Dens.

The new formation did it's job and was topped off by Azeez and Doolan showing up better as a front two. Azeez gave the Dee a bit of a runaround.

The back line were all playing near the top of the game and it'll be a shame to lose Scully for a while but Stuckmann should be an able deputy. 

3-5-2 obviously restricts chances at both ends so I can see Archibald carrying it forward into the match in Perth.

Saintees are the team that have impressed me most against us in the first round of fixtures.Hopefully the management have taken that on board and we can be competitive in Perth.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were decent at Firhill in the last game. Was getting tired of losing to Thistle so it was a welcome change!

I'm never too confident of a result against them though and they have shown they are a capable side on enough occasions to warrant that train of thought.

If we play to our best we should win but that's not how it always works.

Same boat, we always seem to struggle against them (up until that game at firhill a couple of months ago). They put an extra man in midfield and tend to have far more possession than us.

Might need a whirlwind start and an early goal to open them up a bit.

Hope Aberdeen beat Celtic, but in all likelihood we'll be playing to go clear second on our own... And we all know how these occasions tend to go for us... :wacko:

The 3-5-2 has worked well in the last couple of games and I guess we’ll stick with it but obviously St Johnstone will be aware of how we’ve played last couple of games so wouldn’t be surprised if they lined up 4-2-3-1 to combat it unlike County and Dundee who played 2 up front .

Would be excellent if we could go on a 22 year unbeaten run at McDiarmid after the preceding 22 years but in the short term I’d bite your hand off for a point here.

We played 4-4-2 against Dundees 3-5-2, and also against County doing the same last season. I've no idea how we manage to cope tbh, as realistically our midfield shouldnt be able to dominate

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We played 4-4-2 against Dundees 3-5-2, and also against County doing the same last season. I've no idea how we manage to cope tbh, as realistically our midfield shouldnt be able to dominate

Because our players are considerably better than Dundee's , and probably county's as well. 

Alston has to start after Wednesday - his best performance for us by some distance and gave us a genuine attacking threat from the middle of the park. Millar's performance probably earns him a start too. 

Tough game against a decent side. Thistle always look absolutely massive against us, Doolan always seems to score and Lawless seems to enjoy himself as well. 

We need to be comfortably winning games against league's poorer teams like St Johnstone to get top 6. 3-0 win for Thistle.

Sh*t team, sh*t fans.

I'm not even angry, this is cute.

Archived