St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The fact Osman got a yellow for celebrating a goal, while Elliot got away with almost knocking Coulson out, shows all thats wrong with footballing rules.

Was Coulson #17?

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I hope the Saint Johnstone shop has a good deal with the shirt suppliers, because Liam Craig sold his jersey to David Amoo for pennies,

Harsh, yet fair...

Spoiler

IMG_20161029_183839.jpg

IMG_20161029_183628.jpg

#winning

On 29/10/2016 at 17:55, The Real Saints said:

I'm raging. Absolutely pathetic.

What he said.

Saturday is the sort of defeat that bothers me. There have been away games under Tommy Wright (although not so recently) where we've had a second half with 40% possession and one shot on target but to serve it up at home is dreadful. He's acknowledged that the way he set up was going to allow Thistle more possession but can't have envisaged it would have been that imbalanced. The frustrating thing was that he could see it but didn't have anything open to him to counter it. He tried the back three for about 5-10 minutes before changing back to a four, then he tried it again and stuck with it but when you let your opponents get such a foothold in a game (something he admitted willingly doing) then it can be hard to reverse it outwith the half-time interval.

I think there was enough evidence there in the first half that he should have bolstered the midfield at half-time. A lot of Thistle's possession was in inoffensive areas but it allowed them to feel comfortable and put pressure on Saints as the home team in front of a restless crowd. To go from watching us press Rangers so high up the park to the timid approach on Saturday added to the irritation.

Could moan a fair bit more but it's (hopefully) an isolated occurrence in what has been a good start to the season, with very little to find fault in but the approach when Ross County pitch up in a few weeks has to be better. Also has to be said that a good part of Saints' failings was because Thistle played well and it'd be churlish to not acknowledge that. It'll be interesting to watch their progress if they stick with the 3-5-2 system.

Archived