Queen of the South Nil v Dundee Utd

Got what we deserved today we were second in every department, defensively well 3 maybe 4 goals were from very poor defending. Going forward we have no pace did Del get a touch today, brought back to early maybe understandably due to goal drout, Dobbs not the same player at the moment. Time the board backed the manager we need a loan signing up front we are very short of options Rigg's not good enough! Andvanother central midfielder we are very much in the mix for the play off places Hibs and Dun Utd were always going to get away and claim top two spots with the backing and squads they both have, we must fight Raith Morton & Falkirk for one of the other two play off places. Hopefully the break from the league next week can get us back to playing the way we did in the first quarter with play down the wings on the ground movement send passing rather than the high ball route we have been taking lately, we need to get Dobbie and Millar on the ball to create for others.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree rigg isnt going to make too much of a difference coming on. A few injuries to the team and, as we are seeing,we are fucked.need a couple of boys in especially in the centre of the park. Midfield not good enough. Dundee united were at it today top notch. And the support was the noisiest at palmerston for a good while. As for us we need to hope we can turn this around and fast before we fall even further down the table.

I thought we played well first half notwithstanding two terrible lapses for the headed goals.During this period Jacobs and Millar were both effective and United were struggling to get a grip on the game.

We should have been lifted by the late first half goal but for some inexplicable reason we failed to turn up in the second half and Fraser, Andreu, and Telfer ran over the top of us and we could have been on the wrong end of a bigger drubbing. For those  posters who have tried to wrongly claim that we have created a lot of decent chances in recent away games - stop for a minute and think about how many clear cut chances the visitors created in that second half. We were cut open time and time again and it was only some last ditch challenges and near misses that kept the score down. By no stretch of anyone's imagination did either Ayr or Raith away come close to that. By comparison we created very little.

Losing to DUFC at home is not a disaster in itself - that type of result is always on the cards against players of this quality but by dropping all these bad points at the hands of teams who were themselves completely out of touch puts us under real pressure now.

Glad that we have a cup game next week, which will be far from easy, but at least we have a chance to re-group and see if we can rediscover some confidence. We are looking pretty ragged now having shown some real composure earlier in campaign. Clearly a fit Danny Carmichael would walk into this team and the sooner he is back the better but others need to do more and too many were posted missing in that second half.

Good United performance. Their midfield bossed most of the game and they had much more zip about their passing and moving when they were attacking. Great cross and header for their second goal. Dobbie's cross for Anderson was also quality.  Glad we had a good opening quarter to the season, we may yet need it.

Alloa had a good win today, so they should feel confident coming to us next week. Maybe that and the Scottish Cup game later in the month will help us get back on our feet.

Tough on Rigg he never got a pass for the half hour he was on.

Not meaning today i mean overall i dont think he is a guy who will get us too many goals. Centre of the park is a big issue that needs sorted though imo.

1 hour ago, dregs 83 said:

Someone referred to members of the United team as 'players of this quality'. McKinnon is a miracle worker

This. Have to applaud McKinnons management and the other coaches for how they've brought on a couple of the players.

Feel sorry for Skelton. He has been lumbered with a no 2 that shouldn't really be anywhere near a dug out.

Let Skelton bring his own man in

Exactly. He should have kept the guy he had as his number 2 earlier in the season who helped us to top spot.

14 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No chance o that but he needs someone In to help him no a daft old centre half that does nowt but shout and moan at the defence, great Qos man but no help to Skelton especially now we are struggling, The BOARD must act give him more coaching staff and a couple if loan signings.

The Board have pushed the boat out to sign Dobbie and we still have Carmichael to come back in. Harsh to criticise around coaching staff in all honesty.

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

The Board have pushed the boat out to sign Dobbie and we still have Carmichael to come back in. Harsh to criticise around coaching staff in all honesty.

Come on he's trying to do it all on his own look at United the day at least 8 coaching staff that a could see, no wonder we are struggling,  Skelton needs experienced help as well.as Thomsons Dobbie.

18 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Come on he's trying to do it all on his own look at United the day at least 8 coaching staff that a could see, no wonder we are struggling,  Skelton needs experienced help as well.as Thomsons Dobbie.

I don`t know if Thomson is Skelton`s choice as number 2. Maybe Skelton was given the choice of signing Dobbie but had to forego addition to the coaching staff. Perhaps you are in the know on this. I`m not but i`d sooner have Dobbie if that was the choice. The Board have done a great job with the club in recent time. Stable financial footing in really testing fiscal times. If United need 8 coaches for a 1st team fixture then I hope for their sake they do go up this year because that`s not sustainable at this level.

In all honesty the BOD have done a brilliant job in recent times. It is always a difficult thing to do but the time to strenghthen was when we were on top but the natural tendency is to think that the squad that got us there will be good enough to keep it all going. The reality was that the games that we were winning were pretty tight affairs but Messrs Lyle and Dobbie were making the difference. That is no longer the case and we are woefully short in midfield.

I fully appreciate that it is difficult to get in players in between the transfer windows but surely players like Dobbie will know good experienced players down south who are temporarily out of contract or outof favour and who may well be up for a short term deal to get themselves back in shop window. 

It just seems to me that we have allowed an absolutely brilliant start to completely evaporate and that is the disappointing thing.

Archived