Queen of the South Nil v Dundee Utd

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

That'll be the same big Durns you Arabs were slating a few weeks ago; changed yer minds now.

FTFY.  Genuinely.

Durnan has improved significantly in the last few weeks; he actually looks more composed and less apt to making horrendous decisions.  I'm hoping it can last.  On Saturday he was my MotM even before he scored.

Im not sure of the reason but hopefully it's a combination of coaching and playing alongside more experienced defenders and goalkeeper.  Whilst it appears to have worked for Durnan it has had no impact on his erstwhile centre back Donaldson who is still a bomb scare.

FTFY.  Genuinely.

Durnan has improved significantly in the last few weeks; he actually looks more composed and less apt to making horrendous decisions.  I'm hoping it can last.  On Saturday he was my MotM even before he scored.

Im not sure of the reason but hopefully it's a combination of coaching and playing alongside more experienced defenders and goalkeeper.  Whilst it appears to have worked for Durnan it has had no impact on his erstwhile centre back Donaldson who is still a bomb scare.

How old is Donaldson?

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How old is Donaldson?

Early 20's.  I just don't think he has it, seems unable to defend in the box without putting his hands all over the player he is trying to mark.

Early 20's.  I just don't think he has it, seems unable to defend in the box without putting his hands all over the player he is trying to mark.

I'm surprised to hear Durnan is doing better then. For me he was as good with us because he had an 'old head' beside him for the most part. When he went to Utd I'd still have classed him as an 'apprentice' who required guidance beside him; especially at a higher level. He may get away with it at this level of course.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm surprised to hear Durnan is doing better then. For me he was as good with us because he had an 'old head' beside him for the most part. When he went to Utd I'd still have classed him as an 'apprentice' who required guidance beside him; especially at a higher level. He may get away with it at this level of course.

Jackie McNamara thought it was a good idea to bring in two young, relatively inexperienced central defenders and play them at a far higher level than they had ever played before as the first choice defensive pairing.  Just how could that go wrong, eh?

It probably had a huge impact on both players and thwarted their development and confidence.  As I said, in the last few weeks Durnan has looked a much improved player whereas I was convinced Donaldson's 8 minute cameo against Falkirk was going to cost us a goal and 2 points.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm surprised to hear Durnan is doing better then. For me he was as good with us because he had an 'old head' beside him for the most part.

He isnt playing alongside Donaldson now though. Donaldson got dropped weeks ago. He is playing with the big French lad they signed fairly recently. After we played there anyway.

Glad to hear it. The boy definitely has the potential to be a cracking CB. From his and Utd's point of view, hopefully McKinnon brings in an experienced head to play along side him.

We already have one Big William, him and Durnan have created a good partnership together

This week's match preview is a bit of "cliche bingo" from the manager.  It was an absolute stick-on he would wheel out the "I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating any chances" line.  The only problem with that is, we aren't creating them!  If he genuinely believes that all that was wrong against Raith was that we didn't get "the rub of the green" then we are in serious bother.

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

This week's match preview is a bit of "cliche bingo" from the manager.  It was an absolute stick-on he would wheel out the "I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating any chances" line.  The only problem with that is, we aren't creating them!  If he genuinely believes that all that was wrong against Raith was that we didn't get "the rub of the green" then we are in serious bother.

I only needed "If we can just cut out the individual errors, we'll be fine" and I'd have won a toaster.

30 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

i agree with him about the raith game. better team just never got the rub of the green there keeper makes a few good saves and we should have won. personally feel we havent actual played that bad apart from the morton game just need to score but a goal will come. 

He has Big William beside him now who's 29. His no nonsense experience clearing the ball defending has rubbed off on Durnan. Durnan has cut out the nonsense and is clearing the ball like a centre half needs to.

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

He has Big William beside him now who's 29. His no nonsense experience clearing the ball defending has rubbed off on Durnan. Durnan has cut out the nonsense and is clearing the ball like a centre half needs to.

He has certainly benefitted from playing beside a big Willie rather than a huge dick.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, the tactician said:

i agree with him about the raith game. better team just never got the rub of the green there keeper makes a few good saves and we should have won. personally feel we havent actual played that bad apart from the morton game just need to score but a goal will come. 

I can't remember all those "good saves".

10 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dobbie's feeble effort was straight at Cuthbert and was as close as we came. I can't think of any other saves he had to make that weren't in the "routine" category

If we are talking about the one in the second minute it was anything but routine. Dobbie should have scored and didnt connect properly but it was still bouncing over him until he reacted well to flick it away. It was an excellent save. The free kick was decent but not near enough the corner to be a brilliant save. Otherwise we didnt greatly work him and his selection as Man of the Match underlines how poor the game was. We still made far more than Raith did though and Robinson barely touched the ball.

Its easy to dismiss Skelton's comments as predictable and cliched but they are also accurate. He said we got exactly what we deserved from Morton. Its not unreasonable to note we were the better side in the last two games though when we clearly were.

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If we are talking about the one in the second minute it was anything but routine. Dobbie should have scored and didnt connect properly but it was still bouncing over him until he reacted well to flick it away. It was an excellent save. 

Away.

You or even I would have saved that.  The shot was sclaffed into the turf popped up gently to a comfortable height.  The 'keeper didn't just block it ; he had time to make a point of swatting it away.

It was miles from requiring an excellent save.

Archived