The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The man is an idiot but remember that the Trump vote was consistent among all the educated classes. What linked them was that they were white. Racism and xenophobia has a long intellectual history and we need to move away from the narrative that it's just the thickos that are embracing far right ideology.

It takes a special kind of thickness for a well educated person to think you can rate individuals by their race.

Edited by welshbairn

It seems any anti-establishment movement is blamed on the thick and uneducated, be it Trump, Brexit or even Scottish independence, as I well know coming from a staunch No area. In each case it's a lazy argument.

I was working with a guy last week who was in the US last summer on a cruise to Alaska. He said of the many Americans he and his wife met and spoke to, including teachers, doctors, lawyers, retired police etc, 100% of them were supporting Trump over Clinton. And interestingly not one of them mentioned immigration as one of the main factors, with most saying his 'drain the swamp' anti-establishment stance was the clincher. I wonder how they feel about things so far?

It seems any anti-establishment movement is blamed on the thick and uneducated, be it Trump, Brexit or even Scottish independence, as I well know coming from a staunch No area. In each case it's a lazy argument.
I was working with a guy last week who was in the US last summer on a cruise to Alaska. He said of the many Americans he and his wife met and spoke to, including teachers, doctors, lawyers, retired police etc, 100% of them were supporting Trump over Clinton. And interestingly not one of them mentioned immigration as one of the main factors, with most saying his 'drain the swamp' anti-establishment stance was the clincher. I wonder how they feel about things so far?

And yet.....

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

24 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's not a surprising trend - people with lower education levels and in theory fewer prospects, buying into Trump's economic message. The point being they didn't vote for him "because they're thick" which seems to be the automatic assumption.

I likened it to the indyref because I remember No supporters moaning about how the uneducated unemployed were going to ruin it for them. Charts may well show a large part of the Yes vote came from this demographic, but I'm not sure many here would suggest this accounts for the whole independence movement.

What's seen as a throw of the dice is going to resonate with the bottom of the rung more than the status quo. Trump didn't win the election in as much as Clinton lost it. Obama won on a platform of change whereas Clinton was countering Trump's slogans with "America is already great" when many blatantly don't believe that it is.

17 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What's seen as a throw of the dice is going to resonate with the bottom of the rung more than the status quo. Trump didn't win the election in as much as Clinton lost it. Obama won on a platform of change whereas Clinton was countering Trump's slogans with "America is already great" when many blatantly don't believe that it is.

Clinton thought the only way could lose against a loon like Trump was making a gaff or promises that she couldn't show how she would deliver. Trump did the opposite, gaffs every time he opened his mouth and no explanations at all. The only gaff she made was the "deplorables" one, which was probably in house shorthand for people whose votes aren't worth chasing as they'd never respond to a liberal message, and I'm sure it harmed her more than the leaks and emails. She needed a few grand, sweeping soundbites instead of hundreds of detailed but boring policies. The only clear message was "Vote for me, I'm not as bad as Trump.", which isn't the most inspiring way to get the vote out. 

It's not a surprising trend - people with lower education levels and in theory fewer prospects, buying into Trump's economic message. The point being they didn't vote for him "because they're thick" which seems to be the automatic assumption.

The idea that uneducated people had good valid reasons to be drawn to an "outsider", "anti-establishment" candidate has merit.

Explaining why they thought that a trust fund babyman with a gold elevator was that candidate without reference to the words "Fucking morons" is harder.

Clinton thought the only way could lose against a loon like Trump was making a gaff or promises that she couldn't show how she would deliver. Trump did the opposite, gaffs every time he opened his mouth and no explanations at all. The only gaff she made was the "deplorables" one, which was probably in house shorthand for people whose votes aren't worth chasing as they'd never respond to a liberal message, and I'm sure it harmed her more than the leaks and emails. She needed a few grand, sweeping soundbites instead of hundreds of detailed but boring policies. The only clear message was "Vote for me, I'm not as bad as Trump.", which isn't the most inspiring way to get the vote out. 

And "I'm With Her" turning the presidential campaign into her own personal triumph rather than, y'know, something which affects millions of people.

The idea that uneducated people had good valid reasons to be drawn to an "outsider", "anti-establishment" candidate has merit.

Explaining why they thought that a trust fund babyman with a gold elevator was that candidate without reference to the words "Fucking morons" is harder.

Superb.

And "I'm With Her" turning the presidential campaign into her own personal triumph rather than, y'know, something which affects millions of people.

Aside from the weirdness of accusing someone of trying to turn a presidential campaign into their own personal triumph when they were running against the American version of Berlusconi but without the sophistication or the style

Aside from that

"I'm with her" is firmly in the tradition of

IMG_1487528167.586752.jpg

Aside from the weirdness of accusing someone of trying to turn a presidential campaign into their own personal triumph when they were running against the American version of Berlusconi but without the sophistication or the style

Aside from that

"I'm with her" is firmly in the tradition of

IMG_1487528167.586752.jpg.6953c07b5a1c3df362e539e600078533.jpg

Well, aye, but Trump had a slogan that was less about himself and more about the forgotten Americans. I mean it's transparent as heck but it's still less "I'm the protagonist of my own reality" than "I'm With Her".