The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

It's well established now that the Americans couldn't give a rat's arse if their president molests women.

Yup. It’s almost as if there’s an agenda at play here. Pretty much everyone accusing Biden now were first to defend Kavanaugh.

Women’s violence has been coopted into a political weapon, and it’s incredibly distasteful.

On 27/04/2020 at 09:22, RiG said:

Seems the Republicans must have been drinking Toilet Duck yesterday. WTF is Rudy on about?

As ever, it's not so simple.

President Donald Trump took over the presidency Jan. 20, 2017 but the budget for that year was part of a battle between the Republicans running the House and Senate in 2016. 

"However, not all of that $3.7 million went to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and not all of the funding took place under the Obama administration. Approximately $700,000 of the $3.7 million total was approved under Donald Trump."

Giuliani is a frequent purveyor of conspiracy theories. He was diligently working with Ukraine to try and generate "dirt" on former Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter, which ultimately lead to Trump's impeachment.

As ever, it's not so simple.
President Donald Trump took over the presidency Jan. 20, 2017 but the budget for that year was part of a battle between the Republicans running the House and Senate in 2016. 
"However, not all of that $3.7 million went to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and not all of the funding took place under the Obama administration. Approximately $700,000 of the $3.7 million total was approved under Donald Trump."
Giuliani is a frequent purveyor of conspiracy theories. He was diligently working with Ukraine to try and generate "dirt" on former Vice President Joe Biden's son Hunter, which ultimately lead to Trump's impeachment.

And which is continuing into the 2020 campaign, it would appear.

15 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Say what you like about the right wingers - both in America and here - at least they do stuff/embody stuff their base likes, rather than compromising before they even start. It may be awful but it's a damn sight less pathetic than "we all need to vote for a centrist candidate because the other side will never accept someone any further left" - they're never going to accept you whoever you choose! The object is to beat them so that it doesn't matter!

It is easier to convince morons.

34 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Can't wait for 6 months of 'no, YOUR candidate is more of a rapist!', the difference of course being that only one side's voters will actually care and stay home as a result. Why the democrats have gone for Biden is fucking beyond me - it's as if all they cared about was shafting Sanders with no thought given to actually winning the election. The speed with which they all united behind Biden after Sanders won a few states would make autocrats blush - who can blame young lefty types for not being enthusiastic to get out and vote given Biden will offer them f**k all and probably lose anyway.

Say what you like about the right wingers - both in America and here - at least they do stuff/embody stuff their base likes, rather than compromising before they even start. It may be awful but it's a damn sight less pathetic than "we all need to vote for a centrist candidate because the other side will never accept someone any further left" - they're never going to accept you whoever you choose! The object is to beat them so that it doesn't matter!

The Democrats are ran for and by much the same people as Republicans, they're just a bit nicer to your face. Whether it's Biden or Trump not much will change in their lives, they'll get richer either way. Sanders however may have cost them a few quid to make the lives of the poors somewhat less wretched, and they couldn't have that.

What the voters want is utterly immaterial.

Not sure if this a fanciful series of unconnected dots or an incriminating story, but maybe worth a look. Saving it for later for a proper read. It's not new.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2016/12/19/the-curious-world-of-donald-trumps-private-russian-connections/

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

The Democrats are ran for and by much the same people as Republicans, they're just a bit nicer to your face. Whether it's Biden or Trump not much will change in their lives, they'll get richer either way. Sanders however may have cost them a few quid to make the lives of the poors somewhat less wretched, and they couldn't have that.

What the voters want is utterly immaterial.

I suspect the Democrats went for Biden as the best candidate for Trump versus Not Trump.  I am not sure they are all that concerned about what he might do once elected - simply winning is the main focus.

I suspect the Democrats went for Biden as the best candidate for Trump versus Not Trump.  I am not sure they are all that concerned about what he might do once elected - simply winning is the main focus.

Much as it’s a disappointment for most of us on here, Biden’s numbers in the five swing states - which is all he needs to win - are better the Bernie’s.

I guess you’ve got to look at it from the point of view that any Democrat is better than Trump. This is true particularly for any demographic that isn’t white middle class men.

Can't wait for 6 months of 'no, YOUR candidate is more of a rapist!', the difference of course being that only one side's voters will actually care and stay home as a result. Why the democrats have gone for Biden is fucking beyond me - it's as if all they cared about was shafting Sanders with no thought given to actually winning the election. The speed with which they all united behind Biden after Sanders won a few states would make autocrats blush - who can blame young lefty types for not being enthusiastic to get out and vote given Biden will offer them f**k all and probably lose anyway.

In fairness, the Democrats do tend to alienate more swing voters when they lean left. The Republicans actually increase their core when they lean right, which balances out any potential loss. The Democrats can’t just copy Republican tactics.

Bernie’s youth vote didn’t turn out in the primaries, they certainly wouldn’t turn out in an election, even if he is genuinely the best candidate policy wise.

I oscillate between basically agreeing with this position and finding it just slightly too tinfoil hat, but it's increasingly hard to argue with tbh. 
Even if he wins he'll do f**k all! He'll make some attempt at compromise from a position of weakness re the senate/supreme court, be stonewalled by obstruction, paper over the cracks with a veneer of 'the adults are back in charge epic win!', make zero actual change, and all the while the overall fascist drift will continue. It is truly incredible in the dictionary sense of the word that people can see the challenges America/the world faces at the moment and think Joe fucking Biden is the answer and not just a placeholder to kick the can down the road a little more and manage the decline. 

If he does something about the politicisation of ICE, and rejoins then multitude of international agreements Trump has torn up, he’ll have done plenty. I’m also hoping he’ll provide a less aggressive foreign policy, although I’m not convinced on that. It’ll most likely be more of the same, only with a functional State Department.

18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup. It’s almost as if there’s an agenda at play here. Pretty much everyone accusing Biden now were first to defend Kavanaugh.

Women’s violence has been coopted into a political weapon, and it’s incredibly distasteful.

Democrats who have decided they'll ignore allegations against Joe Biden and discard any commitment to #metoo because it's politically inconvenient playing a significant role in this, of course.

Edited by Dunning1874

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Democrats who have decided they'll ignore allegations against Joe Biden and discard any commitment to #metoo because it's politically inconvenient playing a significant role in this, of course.

Not even just ignored, there are Biden supporters openly saying that they do not give a shit if he's raped women as long as they get that damn cheeto out of the White House.

I'm sympathetic to arguments about removing Trump from the White House and I think Biden has a 50/50 chance of doing it but the Dems have killed #MeToo, their progressive credentials, any left insurgency, and literally killed people to get a rapidly decaying rapist with an illustrious history of supporting reactionary causes to preside over the decline of the American empire.

Ah well, it'll be cool when more of the same or the Dems presiding over another recession brings about President Dan Crenshaw.

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

If he does something about the politicisation of ICE, and rejoins then multitude of international agreements Trump has torn up, he’ll have done plenty. I’m also hoping he’ll provide a less aggressive foreign policy, although I’m not convinced on that. It’ll most likely be more of the same, only with a functional State Department.

I can sympathise with your position but @ThatBoyRonaldo is right.  Any changes Biden makes will be superficial and possibly short-lived and will have no structural impact.  Plus he’ll probably have to fight like hell to get most policies through.

His Presidency would offer short-term relief that would undoubtedly have a beneficial impact on the lives of certain vulnerable and persecuted groups, but once again an opportunity will be lost to at least challenge the general direction that the USA seems to be heading towards.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Bit curious if I'll get a reply to this post on another forum, responding to an American complaining that the lockdown is unconstitutional.

image.thumb.png.a05ea68f0855ede94bb820837b33e05f.png

That's some damn fine forum work.

I'd probably just be pointing out that a virus doesn't give a shiny shite about their constitutional rights.