Next Scotland manager.

Caley Shaun

Can't see Michael O'Neill leaving Windsor, when he's worked so hard to get his Northern Ireland squad in their current shape, and hasn't his namesake just taken the ROI to the top of their qualifying group? Not sure why either of them would want the Scotland job.

His comments to the press were ever so slightly vague about it. Certainly far more encouraging than I'd have thought.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

His comments to the press were ever so slightly vague about it. Certainly far more encouraging than I'd have thought.

He seemed quite pleased to be linked, tbh, and made a comment about how he lives in Scotland. Did absolutely nothing to deny he'd be interested.

10 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Hasn't MoN dingied his own National side to manage a neighbouring rival???

No; we all know Ireland's a special case for many.

4 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

The latest name touted is the Gent manager who I am not going to attempt to post as it is hard to spell lol.

No to Arena for me but, what about Nevio Scala or Lotthar Matthaus?

Once again, why Matthaus? He's hardly proven himself as a manager despite several attempts, and has already failed to revive the fortunes of one formerly prestigious European nation. Didn't stop them beating us, of course.

I've also read that he's an arrogant bellend who loves to belittle players by telling them they couldn't hold a candle to him when he was playing. We've got our own managers who can do that for us.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Once again, why Matthaus? He's hardly proven himself as a manager despite several attempts, and has already failed to revive the fortunes of one formerly prestigious European nation. Didn't stop them beating us, of course.

I've also read that he's an arrogant bellend who loves to belittle players by telling them they couldn't hold a candle to him when he was playing. We've got our own managers who can do that for us.

Think the Football Ramble once said about him, paraphrasing slightly "never has there been such a difference between the classiness of the player and the classiness of the man".  Wonderful player, sounds like an absolute bellend in person.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Image result for john collins

8 hours ago, paddymcp said:

The next manager has to be a proven national team manager. I don't think that managers Michael ONeil. He does not inspire.

First manager to win a qualifying group after starting as 5th seeds, took a poorer side (player for player) than Scotland to the last 16 of the Euros in their first tournament in 30 years and is currently unbeaten at home in their last 11 games (winning 8 of those).

But he's not 'proven'? :lol:

Michael O'Neil is not a flashy or glitzy name. He might not even be the name that unites all the fans.

There's none as proven as him though. What he's done with NI is nothing short of incredible.

Genuine question, given O'Neill had 1 win in his first 18 games with Northern Ireland including defeats to Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Israel and a 6-0 defeat against Netherlands. Would he be afforded the same sort of time with Scotland?

I'm neither for nor against O'Neill but it took him a long time to turn them round and start getting results.

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuine question, given O'Neill had 1 win in his first 18 games with Northern Ireland including defeats to Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Israel and a 6-0 defeat against Netherlands. Would he be afforded the same sort of time with Scotland?

I'm neither for nor against O'Neill but it took him a long time to turn them round and start getting results.

Was about to ask this exact question.

The hope is he will be able to transplant his magic formula from NI straight onto Scotland. But if he can't?

10 hours ago, paddymcp said:

The next manager has to be a proven national team manager. I don't think that managers Michael ONeil. He does not inspire.

Nah, you're definitely at it here m9.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Interesting point.  How long a spell was that 18 games?  Once the Nations League comes in, 18 games is around one campaign (slightly longer if you're the SFA and refuse to play friendlies).  So say you're O'Neill, and in the campaign for Euro 2020 we win one game.  He wouldn't get another spell with that record I'd imagine.  

4 minutes ago, forameus said:

Interesting point.  How long a spell was that 18 games?  Once the Nations League comes in, 18 games is around one campaign (slightly longer if you're the SFA and refuse to play friendlies).  So say you're O'Neill, and in the campaign for Euro 2020 we win one game.  He wouldn't get another spell with that record I'd imagine.  

Ran from his appointment 28th December 2011 through to 7th September 2014 when they beat Hungry 2-1.

29th Feb 2012: 0-3 vs Norway (L) - Friendly

2nd June 2012: 6-0 vs Netherlands (L) - Friendly

15th August 2012: 3-3 vs Finland (X) - Friendly

7th September 2012: 2-0 vs Russia (L) - World Cup

11th September 2012: 1-1 vs Luxembourg (X) - World Cup

16th October 2012: 1-1 vs Portugal (X) - World Cup

14th November 2012: 1-1 vs Azerbaijan (X) - World Cup

6th February 2013: 1-1 vs Malta (X) - Friendly

26th March 2013: 0-2 vs Israel (L) - World Cup

14th August 2013: 1-0 vs Russia (W) - World Cup

6th September 2013: 2-4 vs Portugal (L) - World Cup

10th September 2013: 3-2 vs Luxembourg (L)

11th October 2013: 2-0 vs Azerbaijan (L) - World Cup

15th October 2013: 1-1 vs Israel (X) - World Cup

15th November 2013: 1-0 vs Turkey (L) - Friendly

5th March 2014: 0-0 vs Cyprus (X) - Friendly

30th May 2014: 2-0 vs Uruguay (L) - Friendly

4th June 2014: 2-0 vs Chile (L) - Friendly

7th September: 1-2 vs Hungary (W) - European Championship

Archived