Dumbarton -vs- Bonnyrigg Rose - Part Two

Jan Vojáček

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Respect has to be earned, and Bonnyrigg have earned their respect tonight. Beith are still bumbling bumpkins and tbh i've never even heard of Kilbirnie Ladeside, which sounds more like a leisure centre than a football team.

We got Chris Erskine from that leisure centre. Good c***s.

Congratulations to Bonnyrigg. Deserved to edge us out in the first game and alarm bells should have been ringing when they came close to scoring twice in the first 15 minutes tonight. To fail to score in 180 minutes is pretty damning. The substitutions actually made a poor performance up until then, go off a cliff. We are so conservative in our tactics in the Championship, that when we are asked to take the initiative in a game we are (allegedly) favourites to win, we stumble around haplessly. Warning signs were flashing long ago, against Forfar, East Fife, Peterhead & Stranraer. I will be utterly amazed if the management team fall on their sword though. The opportunity to strengthen the squad via prize money & a reasonable gate in the next round has gone. Disappointed, but not at all surprised by tonight.

Well played bonnyrigg; better organised, worked harder and looked fitter even than our mob. Aitken has no defence tonight; beaten by another part time team with the same or lesser limitations / facilities as ourselves.

Big man up front and the 2 rose cb's strolled it.

All the best in the next round

Well played bonnyrigg; better organised, worked harder and looked fitter even than our mob. Aitken has no defence tonight; beaten by another part time team with the same or lesser limitations / facilities as ourselves.

Big man up front and the 2 rose cb's strolled it.

All the best in the next round

As they did in the first game.

We've been brutal all year. I didn't even expect us to win tonight, the manager and his book of excuses have ruined me. The manager absolutely needs to get tae ASAP. Unfortunately he won't, and we won't pay him off, so we're stuck in this boak inducing position.

Fans will walk and the board will only have themselves to blame, it's gone to far now.

Well played Bonnyrigg Rose. Outstanding performances over both ties to earn a big pay day against Hibs. Without question the best result in the Club's history and every single player and Committee member deserve all the plaudits for their hard work over the last few years

1e2a6307c307cb01270b627d9330a4ce.jpgd36081921362ffa47668b2d611487b6b.jpg

When Huntly came to Boghead and horsed us 2-0 was pretty horrific too.

Weren't Dumbarton a Third Division team then? Fourth tier. As a second tier team which has held our own against full time opposition in recent years, this must rank as a worse result.

I has the misfortune to attend both defeats. I was gutted at the Huntly result. Perversely, I was actually delighted for Bonnyrigg Rose tonight. A home tie against Hibs will mean much more to them, emotionally and financially, than it ever would have to us.

Well done to everyone connected with the Club. A well deserved victory. Hope you get a massive payday.

Firstly, fair play to Bonnyrigg on a game well played. The winning goal was a sweet finish and topped off an efficient performance.

They deserved to progress and as many others have said, we were even lucky to have the second chance tonight.

That said. We were woeful. Devoid of any spark. No ambition. We looked lethargic. Our supply to the forward areas was as always, massively lacking. We were outfought. Bonnyrigg wanted it more, which is totally unacceptable. And while Bonnyrigg fully deserved the win and should rightfully bask in the glory, that was an utterly embarrassing result.

And one that for me, makes Aitken's position now untenable. The players clearly have no belief in him, they don't seem to have enough professional pride and Aitken seems unable or incapable (I don't know what's worse) of doing anything to inspire or motivate them.

And if Aitken is to go, the one parting gift he can give us is taking Ryan Stevenson with him. He's a luxury we can ill afford at the moment and he's not delivering anything for us. And in addition to that he looks totally uninterested and that's the unacceptable part. Being awful is one thing, but he isn't. But not breaking stride and appearing lazy and not putting in 100% effort is another and totally unacceptable.

While I now believe Aitken has to go, one way or another, I do think that the players have to shoulder a portion of the blame. Being second to so many balls, being outfought, looking so lethargic and offering no outball for the defence, that's all things that the players have to accept personal responsibility for.

However, I don't see the players having any confidence in the manager and that's his issue of course. The squad has been assembled by him and it's down to that assembled squad that in a cup tie we're left to throw on a right-back to try and change our fortunes.

Our only options from the bench were a young forward not lacking in commitment or effort (I wonder if a certain midfielder could learn something there...) but who's clearly not up to the task physically, and a right-back who appears devoid of any confidence or positional sense for the position he's been shunted in to. And that's the manager's fault. He's assembled this squad and it's his fault that it's insufficiently sized to even fill a bench for a cup tie (twice).

But well done Bonnyrigg. The result was thoroughly deserved and they deserve their glamour tie against Hibs. I hope they beat the holders, what a story that'd be. I hope their fans, players and everyone associated with the club enjoys their night tonight and the praise that'll be coming their way for the coming days.

Well done Bonnyrigg Rose on what has got to be one of your clubs greatest results!

Also fair play to the Dumbarton fans who are gracious in defeat! Showing respect to your opponents. All clubs go through spells of bad form and have squads that don't seem to want to play for the club. But I know your club will get through it, you may take a relegation but I'm sure you will then get a manager who will rebuild a squad and bring happier times to your club! Good luck to Dumbarton for the season.

And good luck to Rose in the next round! Must admit I am a bit envious it isn't my club!

As an aside to our rancid display and woefully inept managerial actions, Bonnyrigg's No. 7 was very lively, particularly in behind our defence on three occasions in the first half.

And the No. 9 who while didn't get much change out of Buchanan tonight, made a real nuisance of himself throughout.

Had the shot in the first half (aforementioned No. 7?) which hit the bar gone in, who knows, we could've been looking at an even worse score line.

Anyway, all the best in the next round, Rose.

Vital next couple of days for us, including an easy trip to the capital on League duty on Saturday...

9 minutes ago, db11 said:

Unbelievable night!!!! Thought the Dumbarton fans were class after the game, congratulating us on our win. I cant think of many places where that would happen

We've been utter crap for over a year mate, a fair few Sons fans seen that coming tonight, but it takes nothing away from your win though.

Well done

I was flicking through the notes I keep about games and it reminded me of something. Around this time last year we had a woefully thin squad, no strength in depths in major areas (upfront, wings) and regulars who weren't good enough.

I think I overlooked it at the time as I was giving Aitken the benefit of the doubt. A year later and we're in the same position (actually slightly worse) and he's still using the same excuses. He just cannot build a balanced squad, with the right blend of quality and numbers.

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was flicking through the notes I keep about games and it reminded me of something. Around this time last year we had a woefully thin squad, no strength in depths in major areas (upfront, wings) and regulars who weren't good enough.

I think I overlooked it at the time as I was giving Aitken the benefit of the doubt. A year later and we're in the same position (actually slightly worse) and he's still using the same excuses. He just cannot build a balanced squad, with the right blend of quality and numbers.

He's magic at excuses though!

He's magic at excuses though!

Tonight was a hard one to take. I felt we dominated for large spells, obviously our injury crisis has ended our chances though. All credit to Bonnyrigg, I thought they were t'riffic from the start.

Now it's just about getting to January, I've got a few players in training at the moment but we won't be able to sign them til the window opens.

Sub Bonnyrigg and repeat

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Yeah, but we had players like Routledge, Saunders, Taggart, Lindsay, even Calum Waters & Tom Walsh, now all replaced with sub standard journeymen sadly. Exception maybe being J Thomson on loan.

Archived