Dumbarton -vs- Bonnyrigg Rose - Part Two

Jan Vojáček

31 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Are you really trying to have a go at BRR for securing their future for years to come? Falkirk drop their pants and accept peanuts for their players to just keep running every year. 

So whats to stop ever other club in the competition who draws a big club doing it? If We get past Morton and draw Celtic at home we could play it at Ibrox and make a packet out it. If you get drawn at home you should be made to play it at home. Otherwise the whole competition becomes a farce. Lets face it its going to be far easier for Hibs playing at Tynecastle than at NDS where everone else who draws them apart from a select few would have to play.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been to Bonnyrigg's ground I don't think it would be suitable for the Hibs match.

There was 1,500 odd there for the Sons game & granted, there was still a wee bit of room in places, this tie seems pretty huge for the area. Chairman Kirkwood said that 3/4 of the Rose team are Jambo's, so why not let them realise a dream of playing @ Tynecastle and earn a very good amount of cash on the way? Fairly sure the windfall would help the upgrading of New Dundas Park, ensuring that any future big games could be held there.

Win-win situation

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Ha ha

Just as an aside, what's the reason for the use of Rose, in the names of the Linlithgow & Bonnyrigg Clubs?

I doubt there's a definitive answer but flower names aren't uncommon in the Juniors. Plenty of Thistles of course but Dundonald Blubell, Hill O'Beath Hawthorn, Crossgates Primrose immediately spring to mind.

6 minutes ago, The Old Northerner said:

I doubt there's a definitive answer but flower names aren't uncommon in the Juniors. Plenty of Thistles of course but Dundonald Blubell, Hill O'Beath Hawthorn, Crossgates Primrose immediately spring to mind.

Aye.

Another one that sprung to mind was Stonehouse Violet.

Maybe just a trend at the time. Cheers

This game against Hibs is a chance for this team, management & committee to leave a legacy at Bonnyrigg, the opportunity to play it at Tynecatle and say maybe get 10000 instead of NDP and get 2500max is too good to refuse.

What I mean by legacy is pulling the money gained back into facilities and going for a SFA license which would entitle us to play in this competition every year, that surely has to be the goal. If we had that license I would be all for playing at NDP but this money could really help us improve as a club off the park. I would be amazed and slightly disappointed if we spunk the money on players who will be gone in a year or two and we have some smart folk at Bonnyrigg who I am sure will spend wisely.

If we can create something for the community that will help in the medium to long term that has to be the goal.

Sorry if this offends anyone

This game against Hibs is a chance for this team, management & committee to leave a legacy at Bonnyrigg, the opportunity to play it at Tynecatle and say maybe get 10000 instead of NDP and get 2500max is too good to refuse.

I wholeheartedly agree. The payday Bonnyrigg could potentially get is massive and they should maximise that wherever possible. And there's the added prospect of playing it at tynecastle and surely Hibs wouldn't be comfortable playing there in what could be a very big crowd, the majority of whom who'd be behind the Rose or be Jambos themselves, out to support their bitter rivals' opposition.

I doubt the club have much choice about playing the game in Bonnyrigg.

I'd much rather see this game on at New Dundas park but the reality is the ground struggled to cope with the Dumbarton game. Massive queues at the 3 entrances and the pie stall queue took ages too.

It would have to be all ticket, the banking on the far side backs on to people's gardens and would no doubt be overrun with people who couldn't get a ticket. There are no female toilets or disabled facilities.

As boomtown boy says previously it would be great if the money from moving the tie set the club up for years by paying for developing the facilities and getting a club licence

2 hours ago, Boomtown Boy said:

What I mean by legacy is pulling the money gained back into facilities and going for a SFA license which would entitle us to play in this competition every year, that surely has to be the goal. If we had that license I would be all for playing at NDP but this money could really help us improve as a club off the park. I would be amazed and slightly disappointed if we spunk the money on players who will be gone in a year or two and we have some smart folk at Bonnyrigg who I am sure will spend wisely.

If we can create something for the community that will help in the medium to long term that has to be the goal.

Not at all - you've hit the nail on the head. Irvine Meadow are the bitter lesson of what can happen when a Scottish Cup windfall is misused. Used well on long term infrastructure and this could be the start of Bonnyrigg joining Linlithgow & Auchinleck Talbot as part of the permanent "elite" of the non-league scene.

I would wager a Tynecastle game would get a full house from Hearts fans going along since it's Hibs that Bonnyrigg are playing.

Licence isn't as simple as that now im afraid mate as to gain access

20 hours ago, db11 said:

Unbelievable night!!!! Thought the Dumbarton fans were class after the game, congratulating us on our win. I cant think of many places where that would happen

I was one of the Sons fans that waited to clap the Rose players off. Got a few handshakes from the guys. I don't think they could believe we would do that, they said thanks back. We are not in the junior ranks and I can't imagine that would happen but the Rose were worthy winners and deserved our handshakes and claps.

Spoiler

Tom Carson, I noticed that a few dozen of the Sons fans had held back and applauded the rose players - after they had slaughtered their own players, fair play to you- we met some in the car park afterwards who were really decent and wishing us well against the hibs.

Main problem with gaining sfa licence appears to be that we would have to commit to the pyramid system. That would mean joining eosl looking for promotion to lowland league.

I cant see that happening.

Can only see us spending money wisely on facilities, Rather than spunking cash on players as that only ever ends in tears- Only need to look at our near neighbours to see near how that goes.

Funnily enough over the last few days, I have seen good wishes from almost every junior club locally and many not so local. But nothing from our nitten neighbours

9 minutes ago, db11 said:
  Hide contents

Tom Carson, I noticed that a few dozen of the Sons fans had held back and applauded the rose players - after they had slaughtered their own players, fair play to you- we met some in the car park afterwards who were really decent and wishing us well against the hibs.

Main problem with gaining sfa licence appears to be that we would have to commit to the pyramid system. That would mean joining eosl looking for promotion to lowland league.

I cant see that happening.

Can only see us spending money wisely on facilities, Rather than spunking cash on players as that only ever ends in tears- Only need to look at our near neighbours to see near how that goes.

Funnily enough over the last few days, I have seen good wishes from almost every junior club locally and many not so local. But nothing from our nitten neighbours

The Nitten people will likely be a seething mess :lol: 

Archived