General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Did I imagine it or did someone on here recently say they were playing a game called Zombie Driver? Top down, somewhat twin-stick shooter where you drive a car at zombies?

That was me. It's fun to crack out for a quick run through story mode every few years.

It's not twin-stick but, as you can only fire forwards. Would buy a more ambitious sequel, if they ever thought about it.

3 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Netflix saying a Bioshock film adaption is in the works. Will probably be shit but has so much potential.

About time. Gore Verbinski was supposed to be helming a $300m movie fifteen years ago, then the credit crunch hit and killed it. Agreed that there's plenty of potential for an interesting film there.

There's a System Shock TV series coming soon too, along with a System Shock remake, System Shock 3 game that's (allegedly) still in development, and another Bioshock game in the works, so I'm trying not to get too excited. I can't help it, though; I'm only a pathetic creature of meat and bone, after all.

Edited by BFTD
Edit for multi-quote

On 13/02/2022 at 10:25, 54_and_counting said:

That looks a shambles, they'll obviously be different levels of AI, but having an unbeatable level seems fucking ridiculous, and im guessing even if you tried to copy the ghosts raceline etc, you wouldn't be able to make the constant slight adjustments needed unlike said AI

I think it's great. If the max level is unbeatable it should make races much more entertaining against AI. Too often in these games the AI is predictable and races become repetitive and boring. You need AI that is constantly looking to improve itself rather than performing to its set, programmed level. Genuinely not been this excited for a game in many a year.

There are racing games with good AI, Gran Turismo's just never focused on it at a fundamental level like this. iRacing added AI cars a few years ago and they're already some of the best you can get. In my experience, Assetto Corsa Competizione has the best, with cars that actually react properly to you when you're nearby. 

An AI that can't be beaten by people who have spent thousands of hours in GT Sport is pretty pointless, but if they can tone it down and even tailor it to different levels or driving styles, then great. 

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I think it's great. If the max level is unbeatable it should make races much more entertaining against AI. Too often in these games the AI is predictable and races become repetitive and boring. You need AI that is constantly looking to improve itself rather than performing to its set, programmed level. Genuinely not been this excited for a game in many a year.

How can racing in an unwinnable race be entertaining? Did you watch the video, even when the AI didnt take the driving line that an actual real life driver would take it still never messed its run up

Watching that video, how is the AI ever going to lose, even when it put two wheels on the grass it extended its lead, thats laughable

Im all for tough AI that learn, especially if it can learn to play against you, but that video seemed just ridiculous 

Would you play FIFA etc if the AI tackled you to perfection every time, marked you everytime and the keeper knew what way to dive before you hit your shot

7 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Would you play FIFA etc if the AI tackled you to perfection every time, marked you everytime and the keeper knew what way to dive before you hit your shot

You're not far off how it actually works, tbh. 

12 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

How can racing in an unwinnable race be entertaining? Did you watch the video, even when the AI didnt take the driving line that an actual real life driver would take it still never messed its run up

Watching that video, how is the AI ever going to lose, even when it put two wheels on the grass it extended its lead, thats laughable

Im all for tough AI that learn, especially if it can learn to play against you, but that video seemed just ridiculous 

If the maximum level of the software is unbeatable then they can set the level of AI anywhere below that. These tests are just to see how good it can be, it's not a simulation of what the game will be like. Races won't be unwinnable. 

I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Rainbow6 Siege over the years, but I see R6 extraction is on sale in the PS store, plus It had a 2 hour free trial on it to try before you buy

Going to give it a bash tomorrow hopefully and see if it’s worth paying for the game 

On 14/02/2022 at 10:40, forameus said:

It's interesting stuff, but wonder how long it'll take some wee nerd to make the AI cry uncle by doing something completely unexpected.  I can't get enough of the genre of videos where you have someone's life's work in the field of AI being boiled down to this incredibly complex robot.  The product of millions of pounds of research, of sheer blood, sweat, tears and genius.  And then it fails to pick up a box and falls down some stairs.  That'll never not be fucking hilarious to me in a sort of Curb Your Enthusiasm-theme schadenfreude kind of way.

This.

Absolute NAP someone realises within half an hour you can beat the "unbeatable" AI by reversing your way around the track, for some stupid reason like the AI is programmed to stay ahead of your front bumper.

Elden Ring is great so far; only reached the Tree Sentinel and have had my arse handed to me so I suppose I’ll need to get gud and try again tomorrow. Have some frame drop issues/stuttering but will mess around with the settings and try to resolve it, apparently a common issue on the PC version so far. Might even get it on console. I have an RTX 2060 and an i5-9400f cpu so I should be running it on high no bother.