General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

For all the boomers among you new Monkey Island game incoming.

Me and the boomer posse are all really psyched!

191106-ok-boomer-better-cs-1219p.jpg

Fair enough, but the original Max Payne games don't need remade IMO. They're perfect the way they are (especially the dev team's faces).

Elsewhere, I've completely ignored Vampire the Masquerade: Swansong as my attention's been fixed on Bloodlines 2 for years (as it's obviously going to be the greatest game of all time and it wasn't a terrible idea to pre-order the collector's edition), but I've just watched some of the trailers for it and I'm surprisingly turgid. Anyone been keeping an eye on this one?

Got a session with Hades again yesterday 

Spoiler

Finally made it out! Just the once though, used the shield and relied on Zeus' strikes from above for the most part with the Hades battle. Absolutely love this game and the fact that when you finally "beat" it, doesn't necessarily mean you've completed it. 

Those Max Payne remasters should be brilliant*.  Rockstar - for all their faults - at least treat remasters as a chance to right some of the wrongs and add cool shit, and the first two games are absolutely wonderful.  Max Payne 2 remains one of my favourite gaming memories at the time.  It was one of the first games to offer a fairly realistic physics engine with its environments (or at least one of the first I actually got to play).  The demo let you play one of the levels and I played it again and again and again just mucking about with shooting items and watching them roll around.  Such a simple thing now but it was mind-blowing back then.

* Until they put Mark Wahlberg's face on him...

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Got a session with Hades again yesterday 

Hide contents

Finally made it out! Just the once though, used the shield and relied on Zeus' strikes from above for the most part with the Hades battle. Absolutely love this game and the fact that when you finally "beat" it, doesn't necessarily mean you've completed it. 

Hades is brilliant. I've finished the game though it took completing at least a couple dozen runs. Easiest weapons for me were the bow followed by the railgun and sword. 

Eventually came to love the claws though, was hopeless with them to begin with but that's my go-to now. 

Edited by GiGi

Unsure how gamers on P&B feel about any% speed runs but there’s currently a ridiculous back and forth of the world record time for speed running Elden Ring, with the latest WR being 12 minutes 13 seconds. The previous WR was less than a full day beforehand I think, and the same before that one.

Any% categories allow for use of in-game glitches and engine exploits to skip parts of the game, but use of these glitches and exploits usually require ridiculous amounts of practice and precision. Also insane RNG involved with the boss fight(s) that are required. All of the WR runs revolve around “zips”, which allow players to skip swathes of the map/bosses. No idea how it works, it seems to be tied to hardware and resolution, and possibly frame rate, but it can’t be replicated in other souls games so f**k knows what’s going on as they are all iterations of the same engine.

Here is the current WR:

There’s a new skip of the Malkieth boss fight which means sub 10 minute runs will be possible.

On 08/04/2022 at 09:26, forameus said:

Rockstar - for all their faults - at least treat remasters as a chance to right some of the wrongs and add cool shit

Didn't they just release remasters of some of their classic games by running them through some AI, then not bothering to playtest the results?

Didn't they just release remasters of some of their classic games by running them through some AI, then not bothering to playtest the results?

It was outsourced, but point still stands; wouldn’t trust the current R* to do any remasters justice.

Just now, GiGi said:

Elden Ring speedruns are boring shite that consist of not actually playing the game.

Literally applies to all any% speedruns for any game. It's just interesting seeing how far people can push exploits in a game. 

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Ha!  I'd basically based what I said on the incremental versions of GTAV adding in decent improvements, and had completely forgot the degree to which they shat the bed with the old GTA remasters.  Hopefully it's more of the former.

I'm flying through my 2nd Elden Ring run, fresh character rather than new game +. Pretty nice feeling to see how much I've improved, slapping all these bosses about mostly on the first go, and at a lower level than last time as well. Cleared Weeping Peninsula, beat Margit, Godrick, Renalla, Loretta and a ton of dungeon bosses all in a couple of days play.

Crucible knights can still eat shit though.

Anyone with a bit of love for 16-bit RPGs will no doubt have heard of Chrono Trigger, widely regarded as one of the greatest games of all time and second only to FF7 on my favourite games ever list.

Anyway, Chrono Trigger got a little-known sequel (of sorts) called Chrono Cross which has up until now been unavailable in the UK without importing / emulation. It's just been released on the PS Marketplace for about £15.

It really is excellent, it was the first ever thing I bought from eBay. Cost me about £60 to get it imported, that was back in 1999!

On 12/04/2022 at 03:59, GiGi said:

I'm flying through my 2nd Elden Ring run, fresh character rather than new game +. Pretty nice feeling to see how much I've improved, slapping all these bosses about mostly on the first go, and at a lower level than last time as well. Cleared Weeping Peninsula, beat Margit, Godrick, Renalla, Loretta and a ton of dungeon bosses all in a couple of days play.

Crucible knights can still eat shit though.

Radahn down at the first attempt this time and he definitely took me the most tries of any last time. The only (main) boss I've died to so far this time is Rennala.

Spent most of yesterday farming magma blades. Very low drop rate.

Radahn down at the first attempt this time and he definitely took me the most tries of any last time. The only (main) boss I've died to so far this time is Rennala.
Spent most of yesterday farming magma blades. Very low drop rate.

You not think Malenia is tougher than Radahn?