General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Tremendous; I've had people tell me about how easy it would be for me to do certain DIY tasks, completely oblivious to the fact that it would absolutely end up like that trailer.

I'm not sure I agree that the hero shooter genre is a dead space. Overwatch itself is still far from dead and is gaining renewed popularity recently, I play it regularly and right now is the best state its been in since content updates were abandoned for the (now also abandoned) PVE development in 2019. Its Steam, PS4 and Xbox playerbase is climbing steadily, and its gaining a new audience in Japan too. Elsewhere in the genre VALORANT is one of the most popular games anywhere, Deadlock is going to be massive, Marvel Rivals is going to be massive. Of the established titles only Apex is really struggling.

Concord was just f**king dogshit

I Spent 3 Days with the Concord Trophy Hunters Who Dedicated Their Lives to Unlocking the PS5, PC Platinum | Push Square

This Trophy requires players to hit level 100, which isn’t too bad up until level 50, where the XP needed for each level slowly ramps up to 100,000 XP. But, after that, each level requires 100,000 XP on its own, which is approximately five million XP. With respawn playlists only awarding approximately 7,000 XP a game, a group of Trophy hunters have spent the last three days pulling everyone into the Rivalry playlist 24/7, thanks to a PSN message group. The group quickly realised that jumping off the map to end games as fast as possible would maximise XP gains.

This wasn’t always easy, as some maps like Freewater don’t have low walls by the spawn, requiring you to run about 10-15 seconds to the side of the map and hop on some crates to jump out of bounds. On average, most players in the group were earning 100,000 XP an hour, or gaining a level an hour.

Optimism was strong. Everyone was cheering on others to join in and grind for the Platinum Trophy no matter what level they were at. “It’s possible,” several members said, although in reality some players that were a part of the group were below level 30, and unless they pulled all-nighters for the next three days in a row and never left their PS5, the chances of them reaching level 100 were next to impossible. The vast majority of players sat between levels 40 and 60.

But the group pushed on, and as the hours went by, player after player hit level 100 and earned the Platinum Trophy. A large chunk of these players had been here for almost three days straight, chugging Red Bulls, calling in sick to work or school, and some even had friends and family helping them out.

One player got their sibling to hop on for a few hours while they took a nap. Another did the same thing with their twin. Players were having their girlfriends and partners assist them in jumping off the map to ensure there wasn't a single wasted moment while they completed errands or fed their pets.

Do you ever wonder what sort of things humanity is missing out on achieving because video games exist?

16 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I Spent 3 Days with the Concord Trophy Hunters Who Dedicated Their Lives to Unlocking the PS5, PC Platinum | Push Square

Do you ever wonder what sort of things humanity is missing out on achieving because video games exist?

Mainly boring shit like making money and meeting girls.

I always thought computer games were supposed to be fun. None of that reads like fun. If you gave me the option, I'd literally rather be at work than grinding even my favourite game for 72 hours straight, never mind mediocre AAA online shite I'm only playing to get a wee digital badge.

Are we at the point where, if you need/want a computer in the house anyway and can afford it, you're as well to get yourself a gaming PC?

Spoiler

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6-1200-80

16 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Yet they'll still punt absolute shed loads of it

This.  Sony are getting the ol' social media kicking over it, but as always with these things, I Imagine they'll still end up with the last laugh by selling a fair few to people who can't say no or simply don't need to care about the money they're dropping.  They've probably got entire teams deciding what kind of price-point to come in at, so I doubt it's based on nothing.

Of course, I'm not going to be one of them.  The PS5 itself was a bit rich for my blood at the time, but Covid depression (a work mate of mine managed to get a second unit, remember driving over to his against regulations to pick it up...good times) made it more palatable.  I couldn't even bring myself to begin caring about picking this up.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Are we at the point where, if you need/want a computer in the house anyway and can afford it, you're as well to get yourself a gaming PC?

Reveal hidden contents

b31c4ced285e73f40c884d009c5a7da6-1200-80

I built one a few years ago thinking it would open up this world of gaming and that I'd rarely look back.  It was the wife's work machine until she got a laptop through them, now it sits under a desk gathering dust and any gaming is still done on the PS5.  I think there's always going to be a sizeable market who would rather just have a console they can fire up, no matter how cost-effective getting a PC is

As I've just posted elsewhere

I didn't get a PS4 until the Pro came out. I was happy playing the PS3 up until that point and with the Pro being released it seemed the logical choice to go for the more powerful console. I paid £300 and got Gran Turismo Sport, Overwatch and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy included with that. 

I don't have a PS5, I can play 99% of what I want to on the console I have. The PS5 Pro costs over £800, all-in. Just for the console. Considering the PS6 will presumably have the same level of backwards compatibility the PS5 has developed, what is the point in me even touching this console generation?

5 hours ago, forameus said:

This.  Sony are getting the ol' social media kicking over it, but as always with these things, I Imagine they'll still end up with the last laugh by selling a fair few to people who can't say no or simply don't need to care about the money they're dropping.  They've probably got entire teams deciding what kind of price-point to come in at, so I doubt it's based on nothing.

Of course, I'm not going to be one of them.  The PS5 itself was a bit rich for my blood at the time, but Covid depression (a work mate of mine managed to get a second unit, remember driving over to his against regulations to pick it up...good times) made it more palatable.  I couldn't even bring myself to begin caring about picking this up.

I built one a few years ago thinking it would open up this world of gaming and that I'd rarely look back.  It was the wife's work machine until she got a laptop through them, now it sits under a desk gathering dust and any gaming is still done on the PS5.  I think there's always going to be a sizeable market who would rather just have a console they can fire up, no matter how cost-effective getting a PC is

They'll sell absolute bucketloads in Asia as the pro is more powerful and most likely a smaller version and they seem to love that shit over there, same when Sony release slim versions of their consoles

I got a normal ps5 (disc one) and anything i play is good enough for that, but like you say some people want the best of the best and companies like Sony dont release this without knowing its gonna shift a good whack of them 

• 2 weeks later...