Historic child abuse in football

Miguel Sanchez

30 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Possibly not. 

Just to clarify, do you completely condemn those that use child abuse as a vehicle for one-upmanship over other fans?

condone probably wouldnt be the word, i may not like them but i understand most fans do it as a wind up no matter how low the wind ups are, as mentioned before, stadium disasters, plane crashes, murders etc, all are below the line, however it has been part of football for decades and will continue to be so,

However i am not daft enough to be offended when they are used, as i said its more than likely simply the opposing fans looking for a reaction, football has always been crass and daring when it comes to rivalries, even more so when its a full club involved and not one single player

condone probably wouldnt be the word, i may not like them but i understand most fans do it as a wind up no matter how low the wind ups are, as mentioned before, stadium disasters, plane crashes, murders etc, all are below the line, however it has been part of football for decades and will continue to be so,

However i am not daft enough to be offended when they are used, as i said its more than likely simply the opposing fans looking for a reaction, football has always been crass and daring when it comes to rivalries, even more so when its a full club involved and not one single player

Daring? Strange word to use.

Saying something 'has always went on' is a pretty flimsy defence.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Daring? Strange word to use.

Saying something 'has always went on' is a pretty flimsy defence.

of course it is, but its the truth, fact is football has always been very distasteful regarding rivalries between fans, more so if the opposing club is involved, i suppose overall everyone would condone the use of any distasteful wind ups, chants, songs etc, but most realise and accept its been there for decades and will continue to be so

20 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I was asking whether you, personally, were prepared to condemn those that choose to use chants about children being abused as a means of one-upmanship over other fans?

That's a different question to whether bad behaviour in general will always happen.

53 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I was asking whether you, personally, were prepared to condemn those that choose to use chants about children being abused as a means of one-upmanship over other fans?

That's a different question to whether bad behaviour in general will always happen.

yeah i originally meant condemn, and tbh no i wouldnt because i havent condemned others for singing songs just as distasteful,i would be two faced to pick and choose what offends and what doesnt imo, i understand that people may view certain chants etc as worse than others, but to me there are a few that are all on the same level

I have grown up with them and came to accept them as part of the football culture, obviously if all the distasteful stuff left the game it would be a much more acceptable place, but they wont

Just now, 54_and_counting said:

yeah i originally meant condemn, and tbh no i wouldnt because i havent condemned others for singing songs just as distasteful,i would be two faced to pick and choose what offends and what doesnt imo, i understand that people may view certain chants etc as worse than others, but to me there are a few that are all on the same level

I have grown up with them and came to accept them as part of the football culture, obviously if all the distasteful stuff left the game it would be a much more acceptable place, but they wont

While I agree with you that it won't change, your first paragraph makes no sense. It's not two-faced in the slightest if you condemn something when asked.

If I ask you if you condemn the Nazi treatment of the Jews, and you say "yes", you're not being two-faced about it just because you didn't also mention that you condemn their treatment of the disabled, or of various other ethnicities, etc.

If I ask you if you enjoy eating pizza, you're not being two-faced by saying "yes", and not mentioning any of the other foodstuffs you enjoy.

Why do you feel the need for some misplaced contextualisation or equivalence here?

Police Scotland have confirmed they are investigating an accusation against Gordon Neely, relating to sexual abuse said to have taken place in the 1980s.

Neely was a coach at Hibs and Rangers.  Rangers fired Neely in 1990 following an accusation of inappropriate behaviour.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Police Scotland have confirmed they are investigating an accusation against Gordon Neely, relating to sexual abuse said to have taken place in the 1980s.

Neely was a coach at Hibs and Rangers.  Rangers fired Neely in 1990 following an accusation of inappropriate behaviour.

It's being reported that he chose boys to molest if they performed poorly at training. Sounds like there could be numerous victims in this case alone. Horrible, horrible man.

This is a story that will run and run. The guys coming forward are showing tremendous strength. Hopefully this gives others the confidence to go to the police and name other abusers in football or any other organisation. Comments from an old dinosaur like Bristow really are the lowest of the low.

Football really should be uniting here to support the victims. As someone's already said - you can't assume your own club isn't going to have had an involvement. Indeed as sex offenders go - my own club have had one in the boardroom.
Any chanting on this subject started by an arsehole really should be shouted down by decent supporters at the game.

14 hours ago, THE KING said:

There's talk of this widening out to other sports , tennis ,swimming have been mentioned.

Politics should be at the head of the queue of investigation. Make no mistake, those reptile b*****ds are hoping to slink away unnoticed.