Historic child abuse in football

Miguel Sanchez

3 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Or perhaps it sounds like I am saying that it should be completely condemned but it is not as uniquely vile as you were suggesting. 

I don't think it's uniquely vile. I think it's as vile as gloating about the likes of death, murder, cancer and PoW. To challenge otherwise is absolutely mental behaviour. 

12 minutes ago, smpar said:

I don't think it's uniquely vile. I think it's as vile as gloating about the likes of death, murder, cancer and PoW. To challenge otherwise is absolutely mental behaviour. 

so why in your own words did you say

7 hours ago, smpar said:

Around 350 victims within UK football clubs. Fucking hell, that is grim.

What amazes me is the amount of fans who take this as a point-scoring exercise to get one over other teams.

how can it amaze you when other such vile songs and point scoring exercises have been in football for decades? its almost like you wanted to pointscore yourself against certain fans

6 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

how can it amaze you when other such vile songs and point scoring exercises have been in football for decades? its almost like you wanted to pointscore yourself against certain fans

What are you on about? :lol:

I said it amazed me because it's a pretty disgusting way of getting "one up" over other fans. Should we just accept it and turn a blind eye, since scumbag behaviour like that has "been in football for decades", and that it's no more than we expected anyway?

Jesus suffering f**k. 

Please don't tell me you're really trying to rank them in terms of severity? I really should have mentioned that the post you quoted was meant to be asked somewhat rhetorically.

In fairness it wasn't obviously rhetorical, and it seemed as though you were creating a hierarchy which placed your example at the top.

I don't think anyone is defending the chants here.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

In fairness it wasn't obviously rhetorical, and it seemed as though you were creating a hierarchy which placed your example at the top.

I don't think anyone is defending the chants here.

I was trying to highlight that creating any kind of hierarchy would be ridiculous. I was intrigued as to what he thought would be worse than that for point-scoring (as opposed to better, because obviously nobody was going to argue that) not because I see it as *the* worst thing in football, but surely it can't be deemed as less harmful than, say, singing about murder etc.

21 hours ago, smpar said:

Around 350 victims within UK football clubs. Fucking hell, that is grim.

What amazes me is the amount of fans who take this as a point-scoring exercise to get one over other teams.

21 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don't find that surprising, sadly.

If it's possible in situations like this to imagine any silver linings I would say the following:

- This is clearly a problem that has been hidden for many years. Now that it is blowing up and is out in the open, hopefully we can protect more kids that are at risk.

- Hopefully , and I'll admit that the previous comments in which some posters have immediately sought to discuss moral equivalence have somewhat dented my hopes, but hopefully cases like this will be cause for all parties to stop and take stock. If the cases are as widespread as it seems likely they are, then maybe it will prevent certain contingents of certain clubs from feeling able to use child abuse as either the a source of humour or a means to demean the fans of other clubs. It becomes somewhat harder to do so when one's own house isn't in order either. Maybe I'm being naive, and the same apes that stoat around Glasgow with CFC tattoos will still vent their vile B-J-K chants irrespective of what the investigation at Chelsea uncovers. Personally I hope that at least some of them pause and think more about the victims than whether or not they can use the situation for oneupmanship.

14 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

It sounds almost as though you think "certain fans" have put themselves in a position whereby others might say it's wrong of them to mock child abuse. Who, precisely, are you concerned about?

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

the same apes that stoat around Glasgow with CFC tattoos will still vent their vile B-J-K chants

What do Celtic supporters have against Billie-Jean King? Talented tennis player and far from the only one who wore sensible shoes.

5 minutes ago, Amato said:

Some clubs prefer to cover up.    

An  Angry mum has claimed she was groped and sexually harassed for seven years by her boss at Celtic , then paid off and gagged by the club. Donna Quinn told how events and security manager David Brannan groped her in front of her teenage son, repeatedly touched her inappropriately and belittled and verbally abused her. But she says a senior club official she went to for advice urged her not to go to police and said the matter would be dealt with “in-house”.

And she says Celtic then gave her a £14,000 severance package which barred her from discussing why she had left.

Let's not do petty point scoring and let's keep to the topic, eh?  If you want to get at 'them' we have a whole sub-forum.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 hours ago, Amato said:

Not point scoring. I believe clubs should be held to account for covering up such crimes.

That victim was payed £14k to keep quiet.

Anyone trying to get a one up on a rival over this is both extremely sad and likely to get bitten in the arse themselves.

4 hours ago, Amato said:

Not point scoring. I believe clubs should be held to account for covering up such crimes.

That victim was payed £14k to keep quiet.

Different issue and different crime, chap.  This thread has some good points and need not be diverted by dross like this.

On 29/11/2016 at 17:27, ICTChris said:

Barry Bennell charged with more counts of child sex abuse.

Police Scotland confirm that they have received reports of historic sex abuse.

When the story first broke in England my feelings at the time were that it won't be too long before reports from Scotland start to come in.  This could just be the tip of the ice berg on both sides of the border.  Regarding the Celtic Boys scandal, if memory serves me Torbett was charged with molesting three children on the team and in light of recent child abuse cases I believe that there will be more victims to that horrendous excuse for a man, victims that just haven't came forward yet/don't plan to...and I don't believe Celtic will be the only club in Scotland to be guilty of this.

15 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

The "compensation" came with a confidentiality clause.

I'm actually pretty stunned by the Chelsea story.

We know the uncomfortable truth that organisations generally dealt with such things very differently three or four decades ago, than is the case nowadays.

Chelsea don't have that defence here though, so recent was the pay-off.  It's hard to imagine that this could feel like the appropriate way to handle such a thing in the post-Savile world.

BBC now reporting that a former Southampton coach who has been accused by at least 4 former players is still involved with a club. Can't be named for legal reasons but apparently left Southampton and another club following concerns about his behaviour