Historic child abuse in football

Miguel Sanchez

I don't find that surprising, sadly.

Fair point. However, as much as it's unsurprising, it's still a desperate and frankly a sick way of one-upping.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

Fair point. However, as much as it's unsurprising, it's still a desperate and frankly a sick way of one-upping.

Let's be honest, there are plenty of people for whom supporting a football team is about finding a socially acceptable outlet for being a complete c**t.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don't find that surprising, sadly.

I suspect the true numbers of victims is far, far higher.  If you think about it, 350 really isn't many at all, just 10 per year roughly since the 80s across the entire UK. 

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

there have been and no doubt be worse point scoring between fans in the future

What has been - and will be - worse than using cases of rape and sexual abuse against children just so you can gloat to someone supporting another football team?

7 minutes ago, smpar said:

What has been - and will be - worse than using cases of rape and sexual abuse against children just so you can gloat to someone supporting another football team?

Plane crashes, multiple deaths, suicide.

43 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I suspect the true numbers of victims is far, far higher.  If you think about it, 350 really isn't many at all, just 10 per year roughly since the 80s across the entire UK. 

Agreed. That's only the ones who have come forward - how many more are still too embarrassed to admit it happened to them? Bristow's comments won't have helped as some may be thinking he was right and they should have done something about it, and people will look down on them because they didn't.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

Plane crashes, multiple deaths, suicide.

I'm being pedantic here(and perhaps whooshed), but who uses those things for point-scoring? EPL fans don't say, "yeah, well at least my team didn't die in a plane in the late fifties" to Man Utd fans.

To save us from really going off on a tangent, my initial comment (I'm sure that's what ICTChris was getting at, too) was that it's utterly abhorrent that some people really think it's acceptable to cite such disgusting events in an attempt to make their team look, in any way, superior to someone else's.  

37 minutes ago, smpar said:

I'm being pedantic here(and perhaps whooshed), but who uses those things for point-scoring? EPL fans don't say, "yeah, well at least my team didn't die in a plane in the late fifties" to Man Utd fans.

To save us from really going off on a tangent, my initial comment (I'm sure that's what ICTChris was getting at, too) was that it's utterly abhorrent that some people really think it's acceptable to cite such disgusting events in an attempt to make their team look, in any way, superior to someone else's.  

The words may be different but the motive is the same. It's football and sadly absolutely everything is considered fair game no matter how sick it is.

2 hours ago, smpar said:

How about singing songs about kids dying in stadium disasters? 

People dying in plane crashes

People dying of cancer and other causes

Football has always been crass and of low morales, why you are shocked i have no idea

Edited by 54_and_counting

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

How about singing songs about kids dying in stadium disasters? 

Jesus suffering f**k. 

Please don't tell me you're really trying to rank them in terms of severity? I really should have mentioned that the post you quoted was meant to be asked somewhat rhetorically.

2 hours ago, smpar said:

tbf there's the somewhat notorious song - mainly, and tbh probably historically, by small numbers of Leeds Utd, Liverpool, Man City, maybe Chelsea- fans about "who's that lying on the runway, who's that dying in the snow..."

I've no idea how common they are anymore.

Just now, Jimmy85 said:

That point scoring over child abuse is acceptable because other bad things happen. 

I had a feeling that's what he was going for. What an odd way to look at things. 

8 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Its almost as if you deliberately misread what was said to sh*t stir. 

Not really, as it kind of sounds like you're saying that referring to cilhd sex abuse victims can't be condemned as much as singing about murders or war.