50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

Vice city is still my favourite although I do think 5 is excellent if nothing else then just for Trevor.

Vice city just blew everything before it out of the water and it was cool as f**k the music was really well chosen and the multiple nods to popular culture were great as well. Plus it had burt  reynalds 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have two main problems with Fallout 4:
1) The setting. I realise that in terms of the Fallout mythos that Boston and the Commonwealth is hugely important, but one of the things I loved about Fallout 3 was wandering around Washington DC and seeing places I've seen in countless TV programmes / films in their ruined state. Couldn't say the same about Boston.
2) Apart from the graphics, it didn't feel like much of a sequel. It just felt like another spin-off. It could have been called Fallout: Boston for that very reason.

It isn't really that sequel though,certainly not in terms of story. If you mean it's not really a step forward in terms of the engine and gameplay you're probably right

another reason i think that VC is more highly rated than most would think is the jump from silent characters and subtitles to actual voice overs, it may not seem like much but try playing 3 again and see how much is missing because its silent talk, plus there was no map in 3 except the paper one given out in the box lol

SA was a cracking game, finally your guy could swim, and they took the game to another level, however, and this was a massive thing for me, if one mission was out in the countryside and you cunted it up, you could find yourself with a long run to a road to nick a car to drive back to your mission start point, that was fucking torture, i havent played 4 or 5 yet so cannot comment on them but i preferred VC because it felt like the perfect balance of open worldness and tight constraints

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

12th place

Metal Gear Solid

cbc8ebea84caa3b6322c928fbb360736.jpg

Coming in 12th place, Metal Gear Solid was released in 1998 on the PlayStation and was one of the greatest games ever released on that platform.

Metal Gears overall look was the first thing that caught my eye when it came out. The whole atmosphere of the game, the movement of Snake and how it all came together immediately made the game stand out. However one of the biggest positives and selling points of the game was the way you progressed. The days of blasting your way through numerous enemies to beat a big boss were done - MGS focused on a more tactical stealthy approach which gave the game a depth and challenge that I hadn't experienced before at that time. The jump from a Mega Drive to PS1 and games like the Lion King to Metal Gear Solid was pretty astounding.

Our hero Solid Snake is tasked with infiltrating a nuclear facility to try to stop terrorists from....in a common thread in games..... destroying the world. Using such tools as cardboard boxes Snake progresses through the facility trying to avoid detection. The way the story pans out made for a fantastic game and the use of cinematic cut screens I thought really helped the game and were pretty groundbreaking at the time.

One thing I completely forgot about prior to this write up and some googling was the training mode option. I spent many an hour on that side of the game.

Metal Gear Solid sold over 6 million copies and was very highly rated by almost everyone. Our poll brought it 50 points which was enough for 12th position and was ranked as:

2 x 1st place

1 x 2nd place

1 x 3rd place

1 x 7th place

1 x 8th place

2 x 9th place

2 x 10th place

7 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

12th place

Metal Gear Solid

cbc8ebea84caa3b6322c928fbb360736.jpg

Coming in 12th place, Metal Gear Solid was released in 1998 on the PlayStation and was one of the greatest games ever released on that platform.

Metal Gears overall look was the first thing that caught my eye when it came out. The whole atmosphere of the game, the movement of Snake and how it all came together immediately made the game stand out. However one of the biggest positives and selling points of the game was the way you progressed. The days of blasting your way through numerous enemies to beat a big boss were done - MGS focused on a more tactical stealthy approach which gave the game a depth and challenge that I hadn't experienced before at that time. The jump from a Mega Drive to PS1 and games like the Lion King to Metal Gear Solid was pretty astounding.

Our hero Solid Snake is tasked with infiltrating a nuclear facility to try to stop terrorists from....in a common thread in games..... destroying the world. Using such tools as cardboard boxes Snake progresses through the facility trying to avoid detection. The way the story pans out made for a fantastic game and the use of cinematic cut screens I thought really helped the game and were pretty groundbreaking at the time.

One thing I completely forgot about prior to this write up and some googling was the training mode option. I spent many an hour on that side of the game.

Metal Gear Solid sold over 6 million copies and was very highly rated by almost everyone. Our poll brought it 50 points which was enough for 12th position and was ranked as:

2 x 1st place

1 x 2nd place

1 x 3rd place

1 x 7th place

1 x 8th place

2 x 9th place

2 x 10th place

12th??! For shame, P&B. For shame. 

I didn't get my votes in, but it's nice to see swos, Monkey Island and Metal Gear Solid turn up. All 3 would've been in my top ten.

Although Monkey Island 2 would also have been there as it was such a massive leap in such a short space of time. I think the games were only 1 year apart, two at most.

Yes lads, now we're talking. I would have expected Metal Gear Solid to appear higher up the list but it just goes to show you, there's no sacred cows here.

Metal Gear Solid is an incredible game. It still is. I'd never played anything like it, from the emphasis on stealth and sneaking rather than face-to-face combat, the long and complex cut-scenes, the meta-gaming aspect (plugging the controller into the second port when fighting Psycho Mantis, getting Meryl's CODEC number from the back of the box), the cinematic feeling, the boss fights, the level design... Man, there's so much going on here. It's one of the tensest video games I've ever played.

I'm not sure what my favourite moment is. It might be immediately after the first Sniper Wolf boss fight when you unexpectedly trip a security camera and have to climb up a massive staircase whilst shooting your way through wave after wave of enemy soldiers.

Definitely one of the best games of all time, no doubt.

53 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yes lads, now we're talking. I would have expected Metal Gear Solid to appear higher up the list but it just goes to show you, there's no sacred cows here.

Metal Gear Solid is an incredible game. It still is. I'd never played anything like it, from the emphasis on stealth and sneaking rather than face-to-face combat, the long and complex cut-scenes, the meta-gaming aspect (plugging the controller into the second port when fighting Psycho Mantis, getting Meryl's CODEC number from the back of the box), the cinematic feeling, the boss fights, the level design... Man, there's so much going on here. It's one of the tensest video games I've ever played.

I'm not sure what my favourite moment is. It might be immediately after the first Sniper Wolf boss fight when you unexpectedly trip a security camera and have to climb up a massive staircase whilst shooting your way through wave after wave of enemy soldiers.

Definitely one of the best games of all time, no doubt.

I remember the mission when you climbed up to the roof/helipad type thing  - I think that is where you take on the Sniper Wolf?  Anyway I thought that was the end of the game and I was quite surprised to find out there was more to come and go up that stair case as you said.

One of the few games I've completed.

45 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Bully to complete.

I've been reading a fair bit about this game recently and if they bring it out on backwards compatibility for Xbone then I'm going to have a bash at it.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

I remember the mission when you climbed up to the roof/helipad type thing  - I think that is where you take on the Sniper Wolf?  Anyway I thought that was the end of the game and I was quite surprised to find out there was more to come and go up that stair case as you said.

One of the few games I've completed.

After defeating Sniper Wolf for the first time, you make your way towards the building but you're ambushed my Ocelot and his gang and taken away to be tortured. When you go back to the building, you get involved with shooting everyone on the way up the stairs before taking on Liquid Snake's helicopter.

The second boss fight with Sniper Wolf takes place on a snowy field before the factory.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

11th place

Championship Manager 01/02   Image result for championship manager 01 02

The first entry (so far) of the Championship Manager/Football manager series, Champ Man 01/02 was released in October 2001 to compliment that football season and is widely talked about as one of the best FM/CM games of all time.

For the younger generation I should possibly explain the whole Champ Manager/Football manager thing.  Basically Football Manager used to be called Championship Manager but is not the same series as the Championship Manager games that came out at the start of this decade.  Sports Interactive who created the original Champ Manager games split with the publisher Edios back in 2003.  Edios then continued to produce the games under the name "Championship Manager" but it was a different game from the original series which continued as todays Football Manager.

So, getting back to CM 01/02, have you ever wondered why Mark Kerr never made it to Barcelona and they had to suffer along with Xavi and Iniesta instead?  If you have then you probably owned Champ Man 01/02.  Kerr was one of those wonderkids who we all sought after so dearly in the game.  He was fantastic.

Other notable mentions in this game were:

• To Madeira (turns out he was developed originally as a fictional scout in the game but became one of the best strikers).
  • Cherno Samba
  • Kennedy Bakircioglu

• Taribo West (a pretty decent player in real life to be honest)

• Sanli Tuncay

• Kim Kallstrøm

• Julius Aghahowa

• Alexander Farnerus

The game was probably one of the last best basic Champ Man games.  As the series developed it became more and more technical and, for me, lost some of the fun element to it.  They were, and still are, very time consuming games and very addictive.  Some of the various threads on this forum and around the internet would back up the addictiveness of the games and there are some very funny Champ Man/FM related stories out there.

Championship Manager 01/02 may well surprise some people being listed just outside our top 10 but I'm guessing that possibly more accumulative hours have been put into this game than anything else listed so far.  It took 51 points from you and was ranked as:

• 2 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 3rd place
  • 2 x 4th place
  • 1 x 6th place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 2 x 10th place 

Archived