50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

The 3D 2D thing might be right. Weirdly enough it was Goldeneye I was thinking of, I love Goldeneye 007 and still play it, but that is almost purely due to nostalgia.

Aye it's not aged well at all. Thing is I was never a massive fan of it at the time. It was probably the best FPS out for consoles back then, but there were far better ones out for the PC even then. Similar to how Halo is viewed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Secret of Mana is an excellent game. There was also a weird sequel called Secret of Evermore that was really good as well.

Mana, Evermore and Chrono Trigger were the absolute nuts and still hold up today.

Of course, since we're talking about the zenith of 16 bit RPG greatness, the correct answer is of course Earthbound. A game I can't believe I've left off my top 10.

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

There's going to be some shite in the top 10 eh?

Fun thread though.

The Top 10 will include (my predictions, given I didn't vote):

Final Fantasy VII

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

A version of FIFA

A version of Football Manager

A version of Pro Evolution Soccer

Super Mario 64

A version of Pokemon

GoldenEye 007

16 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The Top 10 will include (my predictions, given I didn't vote):

Final Fantasy VII

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

A version of FIFA

A version of Football Manager

A version of Pro Evolution Soccer

Super Mario 64

A version of Pokemon

GoldenEye 007

Incorrect.  You've missed out 

Champ Man 01/02

Metal Gear Solid (#1)

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Incorrect.  You've missed out 

Champ Man 01/02

Metal Gear Solid (#1)

CM 01/02 would have been my number 4.

I did think about MGS, but MGS3 is the best of the series, and it's already been out. You're probably right though that the first one will be there too.

Since we're into the predictions stage, we've not had a GTA out yet. I'd have thought Vice City, San Andreas, IV & V were all certain to feature somewhere, with Vice City & San Andreas most likely to be in the top 10, but all in the top 20?

Is voting closed???

If it is here's mine anyway

1. Gta San Andreas - no competition
2. Gta Vice City - just too good to put any further down some of my childhood memories on these 2 games..!! Unreal
3. Gta 5 - now I know it's poor having a top 3 consisting of GTA but genuinely the way I feel
4. PES 4 - best football game ever IMO
5. Call of Duty WaW - best ever shooter
6. Bully - class, especially when I was in school playing it
7. Mafia 2 - love the genre. Loved godfather and scarface too but not top 10
8. LA Noire - lacked depth but I loved the idea of it, wish they could bring out one on the newer consoles, could be brilliant
9. Twisted Metal - what a game, driving about around Paris etc smashing everyone with weapons on your car, ps1 favourite
10. Urban Chaos - can't even remember what happened properly but know I used to love it, ps1 game where you were polis and done training etc

La Noire in any top 10 apart from a most disappointing list is bizarre. Genuinely enjoyed it for around 20 minutes, then it became a massive drag - didn't even finish it - shite.

And yeah sort of understand that, just the genre and type of game it was though. Wee bit different and I absolutely loved the homicide bit of it. Fell away a bit after it went on to the narcotics part but right up my street which is why I put it in.

Na mate I've just been releasing results for a week while votes still drop in.

;)

Sort of knew.

I'd had it typed out ages ago I think but never posted. Still showed when I came on thread, just wanted to put mine out there.

Eta: actually thought it was 20!!! Only seen Zelda, I'll need to go back and catch up. An updated list after every post would be good, or am I getting a bit cheeky here?

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

19th place

Super Mario Kart

39e65210329cfd8f8a50dc6fbb2b154d.jpg

It had to appear at some point on our list and rocking in at number 19 is Mario Kart. A few of you will be surprised that it is this low down the list but pretty much every game to come will be highly rated by everyone. We have very few ties in our top 19 so almost every game sits alone.

Released back in 1992 Super Mario Kart followed on from the success of the Super Mario Bros games of the NES and SNES. Coming out on the Super Nintendo (possibly the greatest console ever? I had a Mega Drive as earlier mentioned but the SNES was superb for it's time) this is a racing game that had both single and multiplayer modes. The multiplayer mode, in my opinion, was fantastic in terms of its playability but also how well set up the split screen was. At the time (and since) a lot of racing games could be quite difficult to play on split screen but due to the look of the game it didn't seem to be an issue on Mario Kart.

Super Mario Kart was so good that it was able to step away from the standard Mario games and launch its own franchise effectively with many follow up games and products off the back of the original.

I mean, just look at it

b2e6e44a217a9a2fa96468e257b7f597.jpg

ea365b6db8c6b9712ae5697de3515a53.jpg

Super Mario Kart sold 9 million copies based on just the original game and with various DS, Wii and N64 games the series has been a great success.

Super Mario Kart is ranked as one of the greatest games of all time and is given reviews online between 9/10 and 10/10. A superb pick up and play game and given 31 points on the poll, coming in at:

2 x 3rd place

1 x 4th place

1 x 5th place

1 x 9th place

Archived