50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

21 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Halo 3 was the weakest of the first three IMO: there's a debate to be had about its merits compared to 2, but it doesn't come close to the first. Still a decent game which rounded things off nicely, I had no interest in playing any games in the series which came after it.

The assault on the control room level on halo is one of the best gaming levels ever created imo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 54_and_counting said:

The assault on the control room level on halo is one of the best gaming levels ever created imo

Agreed, that was where the game moved from good to great for me. Especially great on a co-op campaign when you get the tank: one of you in the tank blowing shit out of the sky, the other sat on the side with a sniper rifle picking off Elites before they get close to you.

With regards to ff8 and 7, both had absolutely nutjob storylines, 7 had a guy baw deep in earth trying to smash it up with a comet, while these big weapon things that the earth created were going about knocking 7 shades of shite out of anything

8 had witches, armies to beat them, time compression and fucking monsters falling from the moon

Both are as barmy as each other ffs :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Agreed, that was where the game moved from good to great for me. Especially great on a co-op campaign when you get the tank: one of you in the tank blowing shit out of the sky, the other sat on the side with a sniper rifle picking off Elites before they get close to you.

Yeah the tanks with marines on the side were awesome, 

10 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

With regards to ff8 and 7, both had absolutely nutjob storylines, 7 had a guy baw deep in earth trying to smash it up with a comet, while these big weapon things that the earth created were going about knocking 7 shades of shite out of anything

8 had witches, armies to beat them, time compression and fucking monsters falling from the moon

Both are as barmy as each other ffs :lol: 

That reminds me, I did absolutely everything in Final Fantasy VII other than beat Ruby Weapon. No idea how the heck you're supposed to beat it.

42 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That reminds me, I did absolutely everything in Final Fantasy VII other than beat Ruby Weapon. No idea how the heck you're supposed to beat it.

Ruby weapon was easy, emerald weapon was an absolute c**t

Also, omega weapon on 8 was harder than the final boss, b*****ding level 5 death move at the start lol

The junction system in FF8 was seriously flawed. Enemies levelled up as you levelled up, so if you just avoided random battles and spammed f**k out of Seifer whilst in Dollet you could then beat the game with a group of level 7 or 8 characters with extreme ease. Done it once after reading about it online, far too easily abused but still great fun.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The junction system in FF8 was seriously flawed. Enemies levelled up as you levelled up, so if you just avoided random battles and spammed f**k out of Seifer whilst in Dollet you could then beat the game with a group of level 7 or 8 characters with extreme ease. Done it once after reading about it online, far too easily abused but still great fun.

This is one of my two main criticisms of 8 over 7. Enemies levelling up as you do means there's no real reward for grinding.

The other criticism I have is how long it takes the screen to fade and draw a new area when you move from place to place.

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Ruby weapon was easy, emerald weapon was an absolute c**t

Also, omega weapon on 8 was harder than the final boss, b*****ding level 5 death move at the start lol

Absolutely fluked it against Emerald Weapon - God knows how but I triggered Cait Sith's ultimate limit break and beat him after a handful of moves.

9 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Absolutely fluked it against Emerald Weapon - God knows how but I triggered Cait Sith's ultimate limit break and beat him after a handful of moves.

Emerald was the sea one, if you got the materia from Kalm it got rid of the time limit and was MUCH easier than Ruby, much much easier.

I'll raise you Ozma from FF9 in terms of difficulty on any of them though.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

=23 Place

Batman Arkham City    batmanarkhamcityview.jpg&key=0631db5954f884524fbecaa191878e4861a7094505f61504e0a001bf2e357367

Our 2nd game in the Batman/Arkham series and another cracker of a game.  Write up for this one will be shorter than the previous one really just due to the fact that I don't wish to repeat myself too much - great characters, great look and an interesting game.

Arkham City was the sequel to the previously listed Arkham Asylum.  In this title  Batman is incarcerated in Arkham City, a huge new super-prison enclosing the decaying urban slums of fictional Gotham City. He must uncover the secret behind the sinister scheme, "Protocol 10", orchestrated by the facility's warden, Hugo Strange.  The player is again tasked with using a mix of attacks but also stealth and investigative work to progress through the game.

Batman Arkham City was very well received by critics and outscored in predecessor in my reviews.  It did so in the review that matter, with Pie and Bovril giving 27 points to Arkham City and voting it as:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 1 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 6th place
  • 1 x 7th place 

Chucked this game due it constantly crashing when it first came out.

On 07/12/2016 at 00:11, Dindeleux said:

=48 Place

Crash Team Racing

Image result for crash team racing

Laptops been getting fixed so time to catch up on this list.

Most fun I have had on a game, amazing track design. range of challenging shortcuts including a few glitches, which in this situation I think improves the game. First karting game I had and still by far and away the best, comfortably took my #1 spot.

Blizzard buff, Sewer speedway, Papus's pyramid, Polar pass, N.Gin labs, Hot air skyway, Oxide Station, all fantastic tracks. I also feel the driving is therapeutic in a way, with news of a crash trilogy remake, I would love this to be sold again with an online mode. No F***ing about with any of the the graphics or anything, just add in an online feature..

ETA: just noticed this screenshot you have for this is very strange, The proportions seem slightly off to what I am used to, and its in Italian, and the leaderboard has crash at 3rd, but the number n the bottom has just flicked over to 2nd. just an observation, I'm sure you just clicked on the first picture you found in a google search

On 08/12/2016 at 08:50, Dindeleux said:

=39 Place

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 

Fantastic soundtrack

Great boss battles, particularly the Fury

interesting story line

plenty of replay value 

The best metal gear solid imo and my #9

On 09/12/2016 at 17:16, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 Greatest Games of All Time

=37 place

Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

I am not ashamed to say that several months of my life have been consumed solely playing this game. Both campaign and multiplayer were hugely enjoyable and another game which had some glitches (which granted were annoying in a game when someone was pissing about in them) that I think improved the overall depth of the game and were enjoyable when in private lobbies just messing around. the games have been declining since, some were decent, others have been very disappointing. A legacy which this game did not deserve. Voted in at #6 for me.

Archived