Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

11th place

Championship Manager 01/02   Image result for championship manager 01 02

The first entry (so far) of the Championship Manager/Football manager series, Champ Man 01/02 was released in October 2001 to compliment that football season and is widely talked about as one of the best FM/CM games of all time.

For the younger generation I should possibly explain the whole Champ Manager/Football manager thing.  Basically Football Manager used to be called Championship Manager but is not the same series as the Championship Manager games that came out at the start of this decade.  Sports Interactive who created the original Champ Manager games split with the publisher Edios back in 2003.  Edios then continued to produce the games under the name "Championship Manager" but it was a different game from the original series which continued as todays Football Manager.

So, getting back to CM 01/02, have you ever wondered why Mark Kerr never made it to Barcelona and they had to suffer along with Xavi and Iniesta instead?  If you have then you probably owned Champ Man 01/02.  Kerr was one of those wonderkids who we all sought after so dearly in the game.  He was fantastic.

Other notable mentions in this game were:

• To Madeira (turns out he was developed originally as a fictional scout in the game but became one of the best strikers).
  • Cherno Samba
  • Kennedy Bakircioglu

• Taribo West (a pretty decent player in real life to be honest)

• Sanli Tuncay

• Kim Kallstrøm

• Julius Aghahowa

• Alexander Farnerus

The game was probably one of the last best basic Champ Man games.  As the series developed it became more and more technical and, for me, lost some of the fun element to it.  They were, and still are, very time consuming games and very addictive.  Some of the various threads on this forum and around the internet would back up the addictiveness of the games and there are some very funny Champ Man/FM related stories out there.

Championship Manager 01/02 may well surprise some people being listed just outside our top 10 but I'm guessing that possibly more accumulative hours have been put into this game than anything else listed so far.  It took 51 points from you and was ranked as:

• 2 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 3rd place
  • 2 x 4th place
  • 1 x 6th place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 2 x 10th place 

was that the champ manager version that had the created diablo formation for it that pretty much allowed any team to win everything

39 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

11th place

Championship Manager 01/02   Image result for championship manager 01 02

The first entry (so far) of the Championship Manager/Football manager series, Champ Man 01/02 was released in October 2001 to compliment that football season and is widely talked about as one of the best FM/CM games of all time.

For the younger generation I should possibly explain the whole Champ Manager/Football manager thing.  Basically Football Manager used to be called Championship Manager but is not the same series as the Championship Manager games that came out at the start of this decade.  Sports Interactive who created the original Champ Manager games split with the publisher Edios back in 2003.  Edios then continued to produce the games under the name "Championship Manager" but it was a different game from the original series which continued as todays Football Manager.

So, getting back to CM 01/02, have you ever wondered why Mark Kerr never made it to Barcelona and they had to suffer along with Xavi and Iniesta instead?  If you have then you probably owned Champ Man 01/02.  Kerr was one of those wonderkids who we all sought after so dearly in the game.  He was fantastic.

Other notable mentions in this game were:

• To Madeira (turns out he was developed originally as a fictional scout in the game but became one of the best strikers).
  • Cherno Samba
  • Kennedy Bakircioglu

• Taribo West (a pretty decent player in real life to be honest)

• Sanli Tuncay

• Kim Kallstrøm

• Julius Aghahowa

• Alexander Farnerus

The game was probably one of the last best basic Champ Man games.  As the series developed it became more and more technical and, for me, lost some of the fun element to it.  They were, and still are, very time consuming games and very addictive.  Some of the various threads on this forum and around the internet would back up the addictiveness of the games and there are some very funny Champ Man/FM related stories out there.

Championship Manager 01/02 may well surprise some people being listed just outside our top 10 but I'm guessing that possibly more accumulative hours have been put into this game than anything else listed so far.  It took 51 points from you and was ranked as:

• 2 x 2nd place
  • 1 x 3rd place
  • 2 x 4th place
  • 1 x 6th place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 2 x 10th place 

Would have been in my top 3 without a doubt if I had submitted my vote.

I started uni at the same time this came out - coursework came a distant second to this beauty of a game for pretty much my whole time there.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Yes lads, now we're talking. I would have expected Metal Gear Solid to appear higher up the list but it just goes to show you, there's no sacred cows here.

Metal Gear Solid is an incredible game. It still is. I'd never played anything like it, from the emphasis on stealth and sneaking rather than face-to-face combat, the long and complex cut-scenes, the meta-gaming aspect (plugging the controller into the second port when fighting Psycho Mantis, getting Meryl's CODEC number from the back of the box), the cinematic feeling, the boss fights, the level design... Man, there's so much going on here. It's one of the tensest video games I've ever played.

I'm not sure what my favourite moment is. It might be immediately after the first Sniper Wolf boss fight when you unexpectedly trip a security camera and have to climb up a massive staircase whilst shooting your way through wave after wave of enemy soldiers.

Definitely one of the best games of all time, no doubt.

first sniper wolf fight if memory serves me right, you could be smart enough and reach her and take her out face to face by dodging in and out of the doorways on either side of the corridor you run up, the second one in the snow field was a b*****d and if again my memory serves me right i ended up using one of they missiles with the HUD cameras that you could guide manually

the fact that nearly every boss had more than one method to take him out was good

Also surprised that CM 01/02 didn't place higher, considering the nature of the forum. It's the most fun I've had with any of the CM/FM games - they lost me in recent times, as Football Manager started to feel like work.

I could never win the SPL despite exploits like taking Tamworth from the Conference to the English Premiership title in successive seasons. Might break it out and have another go.

It's been freeware for some time: download it here, and you'll find the final patch here, which IIRC is necessary to get it working on modern machines. I'd be willing to bet that people are still making patches with modern team data too, if you search around.

Have at you Snake!

I loved the way in which Snake gets a cold in one mission and his coughing and sneezing affects the gameplay. There's also a mission where Snake has to take Valium to calm his nerves. A mate of mine used to work in a game shop and he said some woman had a complete meltdown over this, shouting and screaming, demanding her money back as she didn't want her son exposed to the dangers of drugs

I don't think I've ever played Vice City. If I did it certainly wasn't memorable. I voted for San Andreas, as it's awesome and I absolutely loved it.

Metal Gear is ace. Played that loads when I had it. I had the VR Missions disc as well which was pretty fun but absolutely solid (no pun intended).

Never played Champ Man 01/02. Voted for Champ Man 2 though

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Have at you Snake!

I loved the way in which Snake gets a cold in one mission and his coughing and sneezing affects the gameplay. There's also a mission where Snake has to take Valium to calm his nerves. A mate of mine used to work in a game shop and he said some woman had a complete meltdown over this, shouting and screaming, demanding her money back as she didn't want her son exposed to the dangers of drugs

aye hiding in a box and snake fucking sneezes alerting 3 guards around you :lol:

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Also surprised that CM 01/02 didn't place higher, considering the nature of the forum. It's the most fun I've had with any of the CM/FM games - they lost me in recent times, as Football Manager started to feel like work.

I could never win the SPL despite exploits like taking Tamworth from the Conference to the English Premiership title in successive seasons. Might break it out and have another go.

It's been freeware for some time: download it here, and you'll find the final patch here, which IIRC is necessary to get it working on modern machines. I'd be willing to bet that people are still making patches with modern team data too, if you search around.

Yeah, they're kicking around on the CM 01/02 forums or were the last time I got a patch update.

Was utterly obsessed with this. On one save I racked up 5195 games over 115 game seasons with a 54% win rate. Naw bad.

Archived