50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goldeneye was, if memory serves me right, the first game I ever played on any console.

I watched the film after playing through it and spotting each level in the game appearing in the film was brilliant. They pretty much got it down to a tee.

I think Facility was my favourite level. It was a level where you could f**k about a bit if you were bored and keep killing enemies at the end.

I ploughed hours upon hours of time playing split screen with my pal on this. That feeling of getting hold of an RCP90 and causing it was beautiful. Shooting Baron Samedi in the top hat and watching it bleed was always a good lol also.

Apologies for the delay, as referred to earlier Div sold the website out to adverts and there must be certain adverts that have running that are crashing my Google Chrome.

PIE AND BOVRIL - 50 GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME

8th place

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time  Image result for legend of zelda ocarina of time

Definitely going to need some help with this one guys.  Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was nominated very early in my collection of votes and they just continued to arrive.  I actually was reading votes for Ocarina of Time and didn't even know what people were talking about so had to google to find out it was a Zelda game.

Now, as noted earlier, LOZ games were not something I had ever played but I do appreciate that they were great games.  A good few of my mates had them and seemed to spend hours and hours playing them.  Similar to Final Fantasy I can appreciate a game that is not to my own personal tastes - these games are considered classics and spawn many popular games for a reason.

Before I move onto talking about Ocarina of Time can I ask a question about an N64? I would never have considered it as one of the best consoles ever but was it?  It certainly has a fair share of games in the higher places of our list than most other consoles.  Thoughts?

LOZ - Ocarina of Time was released back in 1998 on the N64 and was the fifth game in the Zelda series but the first in 3D. Ocarina of Time's gameplay introduced features such as a target-lock system and context-sensitive buttons that have since become common in 3D adventure games. I actually think this may have been the Zelda game I referred to when the previous one came up that I had played briefly - did it have some kind of fishing game as part of the story?  

The plot line in this game, similar to others in the series, followed the adventures of Link as he attempts to save the Kingdom of Hyrule from Ganondorf using the Master Sword (please help me N64'ers).

LOZ - Ocarina of Time sold over 7.5 million copies worldwide and due to its success was ported onto the GameCube.  LOZ Ocarina of time is the highest rated game ever based on aggregate scores on Metacritic scoring a 99/100.  It surprised me with the volume of votes coming in - accumlating 67 points and being rated by you as:

• 2 x 1st place
  • 1 x 2nd place
  • 3 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 4th place
  • 1 x 7th place
  • 1 x 8th place

7th place

Final Fantasy 7  Image result for final fantasy 7

Coming in just ahead of Zelda with 1 more point was Final Fantasy 7.  The Final Fantasy series certainly seems to one of the most popular - it is the second placing of it in the top 50.  Considering that FIFA, for example, have had a game out every year for 22 years and none have broken the top 50 I think its fair to say that the Final Fantasy series has been cracking.

FF7 was released in 1997 on Playstation and, similar to our previous entry, was the first game in the series to be displayed in 3D.  The game is acknowledged for having boosted the sales of PlayStation consoles and popularizing Japanese role-playing video games outside Japan. It is widely considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. The game's popularity has led to a series of prequels and sequels under the collective title Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.  Development of Final Fantasy VII began in 1994. It was originally developed for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, but was moved to the Nintendo 64; since the Nintendo 64's cartridges lacked the required storage capacity for substantial prerendered movie footage, Square moved the game to the CD-ROM based PlayStation.

In Final Fantasy 7  The story followsCloud Strife, a mercenary who joins the eco-terrorist rebel organization AVALANCHE to stop the world-controlling megacorporation Shinra from draining the life of the planet to use as an energy source. Cloud and his allies become involved in a larger world-threatening conflict and face off against Sephiroth, the main antagonist.  

Final Fantasy 7 was, at the time, the most expensive video game ever to be developed costing in the region of $45 million in 1995 (about $67 million today). The game was done and re-done a couple of times before release with the original plan being that the game would be set in New York.  The game's release in North America was preceded by a massive three-month marketing campaign, which consisted of three 30-second television commercials on major networks, a one-minute long theatrical commercial, a holiday promotion with Pepsi, and printed ads in publications such as Rolling Stone, Details, Spin,Playboy and comic books published by Marvel and DC Comics.

Final Fantasy 7 has sold over 11 million copies to date and is reviewed well by critics.  I have found some reviews of it which are 8/10 but they are in the minority.  Overall it is rated very highly and, to give an indication of how highly you rated it, scored more points than Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect combined - taking 68 points in total.

FF7 voted by you as:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 2 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 3rd place
  • 3 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 8th place

7th place

Final Fantasy 7  Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg&key=7c5c68de98493f28526703b2b5213359b85fb23713a071991a2fb0aa2ca30458

Coming in just ahead of Zelda with 1 more point was Final Fantasy 7.  The Final Fantasy series certainly seems to one of the most popular - it is the second placing of it in the top 50.  Considering that FIFA, for example, have had a game out every year for 22 years and none have broken the top 50 I think its fair to say that the Final Fantasy series has been cracking.

FF7 was released in 1997 on Playstation and, similar to our previous entry, was the first game in the series to be displayed in 3D.  The game is acknowledged for having boosted the sales of PlayStation consoles and popularizing Japanese role-playing video games outside Japan. It is widely considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. The game's popularity has led to a series of prequels and sequels under the collective title Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.  Development of Final Fantasy VII began in 1994. It was originally developed for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, but was moved to the Nintendo 64; since the Nintendo 64's cartridges lacked the required storage capacity for substantial prerendered movie footage, Square moved the game to the CD-ROM based PlayStation.

In Final Fantasy 7  The story followsCloud Strife, a mercenary who joins the eco-terrorist rebel organization AVALANCHE to stop the world-controlling megacorporation Shinra from draining the life of the planet to use as an energy source. Cloud and his allies become involved in a larger world-threatening conflict and face off against Sephiroth, the main antagonist.  

Final Fantasy 7 was, at the time, the most expensive video game ever to be developed costing in the region of $45 million in 1995 (about $67 million today). The game was done and re-done a couple of times before release with the original plan being that the game would be set in New York.  The game's release in North America was preceded by a massive three-month marketing campaign, which consisted of three 30-second television commercials on major networks, a one-minute long theatrical commercial, a holiday promotion with Pepsi, and printed ads in publications such as Rolling Stone, Details, Spin,Playboy and comic books published by Marvel and DC Comics.

Final Fantasy 7 has sold over 11 million copies to date and is reviewed well by critics.  I have found some reviews of it which are 8/10 but they are in the minority.  Overall it is rated very highly and, to give an indication of how highly you rated it, scored more points than Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect combined - taking 68 points in total.

FF7 voted by you as:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 2 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 3rd place
  • 3 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 8th place

The n64 suffered from a lack of titles really. If I remember rightly, Nintendo QCd everything from 3rd party developers while Sony let anyone release anything at all. The result were some AAA titles but not enough of a catalogue to make the console a big success. It was, though, the birth of the analogue controller and still, arguably the best controller ever.

Ocarina was an amazing game. A huge jump in the Zelda franchise to 3D which looked fantastic but it was the story, characters and gameplay which made it a true classic.
Final Fantasy 7 at number 7!?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wouldn't even be in my top 15 ;)

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

7th place

Final Fantasy 7  Image result for final fantasy 7

FF7 voted by you as:

• 1 x 1st place
  • 2 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 3rd place
  • 3 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 8th place

Hot dang, now we're talking. An exceptional game and by far and away one of the best I've ever played. Don't let a certified virgin like "Mr X" sway you, this is one of the best of all time. I played this game when I was nine or 10 and I remember the TV advert - I'd never heard of Final Fantasy before but this sucked you right into it. Everything about it was amazing, from the graphics (especially the in-game graphics) to the music, to the gameplay to the side quests. It was a fantastic experience. I did everything expect beat Ruby Weapon.

There's so many brilliant moments in this game. Beating the Demon Wall, the Golden Saucer, the Crater missions, Cid Highwind's backstory, getting the Knights of the Round materia, obtaining everyone's ultimate limit break, Dr Hojo, Tifa's massive tits, the Junon cannon sequence - this is a tremendous video game. In my top five for sure.

1 hour ago, mrcat1990 said:

Final Fantasy can f**k off when Zelda has been mentioned. Zelda will always be the superior RPG.

Zelda isn't an RPG

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

The n64 suffered from a lack of titles really. If I remember rightly, Nintendo QCd everything from 3rd party developers while Sony let anyone release anything at all. The result were some AAA titles but not enough of a catalogue to make the console a big success. It was, though, the birth of the analogue controller and still, arguably the best controller ever.

Not just a lack of titles but Nintendo's daft decision to persevere with cartridges.

Had they went with discs, FFVII would have been an N64 game.

Archived