50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

The amount of people on this thread expressing dismay that their personal favourite isn't number one is unreal :lol:

I personally haven't played OOT as I had a PS for that generation and when I was at mate's houses we generally played multiplayers like Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Star Fox, Mario Tennis and Wave Race. 

A Link to the Past was cracking though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The amount of people on this thread expressing dismay that their personal favourite isn't number one is unreal :lol:
I personally haven't played OOT as I had a PS for that generation and when I was at mate's houses we generally played multiplayers like Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Star Fox, Mario Tennis and Wave Race. 
A Link to the Past was cracking though.

More surprise than dismay, it usually seems to top these sorts of lists, or get close to it anyway. For me I would probably have four Zelda games as my ten top games. Decided not to put Wind Waker or MM in my list just as I didn't want to be too Zelda heavy.

On another note I'm mildly surprised none of the Warcraft or Starcraft games have made the list. Can't imagine them being in the top ten so looks like that ship has sailed but due to the sheer obsession people had for WOW and how everyone seemed to play Tides of Darkness when it came out, they seem a somewhat surprising omission.

12 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

More surprise than dismay, it usually seems to top these sorts of lists, or get close to it anyway. For me I would probably have four Zelda games as my ten top games. Decided not to put Wind Waker or MM in my list just as I didn't want to be too Zelda heavy.

On another note I'm mildly surprised none of the Warcraft or Starcraft games have made the list. Can't imagine them being in the top ten so looks like that ship has sailed but due to the sheer obsession people had for WOW and how everyone seemed to play Tides of Darkness when it came out, they seem a somewhat surprising omission.

I don't think people that play WoW are aware of football let alone a forum based on the sport.

Thinks it's time for our next entry.....

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

4th place

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

25910856f8cd7afc55b3e6c2d0d76e9c.jpg

Ok it's difficult now for me to really pull certain games out and say this should or shouldn't be there. GTA San Andreas was number 3 or 4 on my list from memory and is a classic game. Is it better than some of the other GTAs already named......who knows. Every game has its own strengths and weaknesses but overall this game (and everything in our top 10) is just sensational.

GTA San Andreas was released waaaaay back in 2004 on PS2 originally, later ported to the Xbox and PC. Following on from Vice City this release also seemed to take some inspiration from the movies - in this case Boys in the Hood and Menace to Society and also leaning heavily on the rap culture.

Set in the fictional state of San Andreas in 1992 you take control of Carl a young ex-gangbanger who is travelling back to the hood to attend his mothers funeral. On return he is quickly picked up by the police and we see our first nod towards police bullying black men and also police corruption. This would be a running theme in the game. Carl is left at the side of the road in a rival gang area and has to cycle to his own hood.

The game focuses on Carl's attempts to re-establish his old gang, Grove Street, against their main rivals The Ballas and other gangs. This was all a nod to the Blood/Crips rivalry which was happening in real life California and western US cities both at the time the game was set in and ongoing.

GTA San Andreas introduced a lot of new features which include:

Having to keep your character fit, fed and entertained. This will no doubt be a source of our discussion as some people loved it whilst others hated it. I personally thought it was ok.

Car Modifications

House Breaking

Mini games including Pool, Basketball and arcade games in pubs.

And finally, the best addition in my eyes, Gang Wars. Gang Wars became quite addictive to me as I sought to cover the city in green.

94f520c428ce8819f54864f4889c0305.jpg

San Andreas has some fantastic stories and side missions but also some great characters. As always with GTA games you get some twists along the way but my favourite characters were:

Big Smoke - mostly due to his introduction.

Cesar - although I would've slapped my sister for some of the shite she got me into.

OG Loc - everyone's favourite rapper.

The Truth - Glorious first mission

San Andreas, looking back, really was a superb game and it's not aged too badly to be honest. I played it through maybe two years ago and it still looked not too bad. The game mechanics stood up very well. It is my favourite GTA game and only bettered in the Rockstar library by RDR in my opinion.

San Andreas sparked some real controversy when released due to its leanings toward racial tensions and police brutality. As always though Rockstar knew that controversy equals sales and their game was on the edge in a positive way.

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was very much a commercial success and sold over 27 million copies to date which is a staggering figure. The game was rated as almost perfect by all reviewers and you lot gave it a total of 90 points. As an interesting aside I received nominations for 75 games before San Andreas (or Vice City to be fair) were even mentioned. I thought they were either forgotten about or not as good as I though for a while. To give comparison nominations for Fallout, Mario, Resident Evil, COD etc were all received very early.

Voted by you as:

3 x 1st place

1 x 2nd place

3 x 3rd place

1 x 4th place

3 x 6th place

1 x 8th place

1 x 9th place

My number 1. Played it a couple of months back on PC. Still holds up - even graphics wise it's very playable. The variety in missions was outstanding. I always remember the mission for OG Loc where you need to steal another rappers rhyme book by sneaking around his mansion. 

I too spent forever trying to paint Los Santos green with the gang warfare and finding all the spray tags.

What a fucking game man. Cruising about taking out ballas to all the gangster rap to cruising about the country with all my exes live in Texas on.

All the crazy characters along the way, a lot of them that I grew to really love. All the side things you could do plus the fact you had San Francisco and Vegas to go too aswell.

I think if I played it now the travelling would annoy me but at the time it was so good having such a big interesting map plus a great soundtrack that I actually enjoyed it.

Just brilliant, loved it so much. Story was also absolutely fantastic full of twists and turns.

Top game ever for me. Don't know if I'll ever become so engrossed in a game again. Loved the gang scene/territory bit too hope that makes a re appearance in a future GTA.

I remember I had CJ Bulked up massively and overfed him at the start. Meant to took me hours of in game time before he was hungry again. Cheap controllers with options to speed up by pushing a thrust button meant you could do a gym workout ridiculously quickly.

Archived