50 Greatest Games of all time - P&B decides

Dindeleux

anyway, before this become a RSAMH thread, my prediction of the order of the top 3 is

3) The Last of Us

2 ) The Witcher 3 

1) Skyrim, think TLOU might suffer from being PS only and TW3 seems to have 1 person who hates it for every 9 that like it whereas Skyrim is bloody close to being universally liked as far as I can see.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PIE AND BOVRIL 50 Greatest Games of All Time

3rd place

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

aa79033cc072443d9ad87c570a893735.jpg

Coming a full 13 points ahead of GTA San Andreas is Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, referred to from now as Witcher 3.

Released in May 2015 by CD Projekt RED, Witcher 3 is an RPG which follows the style of almost every game in the genre these days with an open world setting. I had not really heard of Witcher 3 until this thread and I was genuinely surprised as the votes came dropping in for it. Since that time, and as it became more apparent it was going to be rated very high I've been doing some reading into it and the reviews I had read have been incredible. It is rated by almost everyone as the perfect game and is most definitely on my wish list.

Controlling Geralt of Rivia monster hunter known as a witcher, you set out on a long journey to find your lover and adopted daughter, who are on the run from a group known as the "Wild Hunt".

From what I've learned the game seems to be on the same lines as Skyrim 3 in that you use your interactions and magic as well as brute force to get to where you wish to go. Not sure if that is completely off the mark.

The game was met with critical acclaim, with critics praising its narrative, world design, combat and visuals, and was a financial success, selling over six million copies in six weeks. The game won multiple Game of the Year awards from various gaming publications, critics, and award events.

As mentioned earlier Witcher 3 is reviewed very positively and has multiple 10/10 or 100% review scores. It's certainly over a 9.5/10 rated game across the board.

As I'm on my phone I don't have the full list of Witcher votes available but it took a huge 103 points in our poll and was given 1st place in 3 of the first 5 nominations by you.

Witcher 3 was voted as:

• 6 x 1st place 
  • 2 x 2nd place
  • 2 x 3rd place
  • 1 x 5th place
  • 1 x 8th place
  • 2 x 10th place

Fantastic game. It's quite different to Skyrim. In Skyrim you are your own character and build your skills around that. In the Witcher 3, you are very much Geralt of Rivia and the story is a lot more important/better. It's not as replayable as Skyrim but the initial game is hundreds of hours of gameplay itself and then you have the outstanding DLC. So many side quests and an enthralling main story. I've spent full days just playing Gwent.

Good to see Gerald the mad shagger make an appearance. I've only got as far as the first game, which I've thoroughly enjoyed, but the second one hasn't managed to grab me yet. #3 sounds like it'll be quite the treat when I get around to it once I hit retirement age, although it sounds like I'll have no chance of finishing it before the Wild Hunt come for me  :wacko:

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Good to see Gerald the mad shagger make an appearance. I've only got as far as the first game, which I've thoroughly enjoyed, but the second one hasn't managed to grab me yet. #3 sounds like it'll be quite the treat when I get around to it once I hit retirement age, although it sounds like I'll have no chance of finishing it before the Wild Hunt come for me  :wacko:

:lol:

He's a world class stickman.

Last of Us as number 1 imo.

Here's hoping.
I'm around 20 hours into The Witcher 3, and as much as I've enjoyed most of it, almost every quest seems to be "find this person, follow this person", leaving you feeling that every quest is an endless horse ride. Slicing random enemies you meet in half and doing the witcher contracts are incredible fun, and all the characters (even side ones) are very fleshed out, but I just think you're sucked into cutscenes and a game of follow-the-leader far too often. Still miles ahead of Skyrim, though.

44 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Here's hoping.
I'm around 20 hours into The Witcher 3, and as much as I've enjoyed most of it, almost every quest seems to be "find this person, follow this person", leaving you feeling that every quest is an endless horse ride. Slicing random enemies you meet in half and doing the witcher contracts are incredible fun, and all the characters (even side ones) are very fleshed out, but I just think you're sucked into cutscenes and a game of follow-the-leader far too often. Still miles ahead of Skyrim, though.

On my phone so not going to write loads but imo the key with the witcher 3 is that the quest writing is so good that you get emotionally invested in the stories and the "go here, follow this trail, kill X, return to quest giver" repetition is forgotten compared to, say, the quests in fallout 4.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

On my phone so not going to write loads but imo the key with the witcher 3 is that the quest writing is so good that you get emotionally invested in the stories and the "go here, follow this trail, kill X, return to quest giver" repetition is forgotten compared to, say, the quests in fallout 4.

That's what's so brilliant about Witcher 3 for me, and why it was my no 1. It's not that it's particularly original, it's just so, so much better at what it does than what came before. Bethesda need to up their game now, because Witcher 3 made all their games look shite, even after ripping off Skyrim for a bit of it.

I must have put around 100 hours into Witcher 3 and the two DLCs. Was my number one, I have never been so immersed in a game like this one. The quality of the DLCs, especially Blood and Wine, is incredible - like a brand new game. I am currently doing every available quest, treasure hunt,etc and leaving the main quest as I really don't want to finish it. The Bloody Baron quest was mind blowing.

Loved Last Of Us as well but it is very linear compared to it although the story was superb.

I had a couple of really great wtf moments in the witcher 3, I like it a lot, but not as much as Skyrim, in fact it didn't even make my top 10. In terms of story it's up there with the best I've played, but overall experience not as good as other games for me.

43 minutes ago, GAD said:

That's what's so brilliant about Witcher 3 for me, and why it was my no 1. It's not that it's particularly original, it's just so, so much better at what it does than what came before. Bethesda need to up their game now, because Witcher 3 made all their games look shite, even after ripping off Skyrim for a bit of it.

:lol:

Might not be a popular opinion but that's a gross overuse of forum favourite minter right there. 

Dark Souls and Skyrim are good games. Skyrim is overrated IMO but that's just me. Vanilla Skyrim anyway. Can't pretend I didn't still empty about 3-400 hours in with all the mods though.

Archived