Kris Boyd & Jamie Fullarton

I've heard Andy Murray putting his success down to Burgers, monster munch and tea cakes.

Yes it's widely reported that when Ivan Lendl rejoined as Andy's coach after yet another defeat to Djokovic he told him that clearly he didn't have enough energy from this healthy 'diet' he was on.

Andy returned to a full cooked for breakfast, a burger for lunch and and an XXL dominoes for dinner and the rest is history really.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/01/2017 at 19:07, gannonball said:

Have to disagree with both points , when he is asked questions he usually has to take a deep breath to try an process some sort of usually mundane analysis, A mouth breathing *** if you wish.

Yes hes scored a tonne of goals, in a bang average league. Fair play to him for going abroad etc but he clearly hasnt embraced any new diets/techniques. Griffiths came to us known as a predator, which was fine, but not enough for Deila. Griffiths I always thought was slim but even he managed to work on his diet and fitness and his overall game and became even sharper yet stronger as well.

If I were to compare a Celtic player to Boyds persona, it would be Scott Mcdonald. Hes another who could have pushed on but was happy just to get by which is why he ended back up Motherwell when he must have been little over 30.

You got any proof for this? Griffiths looks to me like the same naturally gifted player as he has been throughout his entire career - nothing to do with Deila's diet and fitness regime. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are we all just going to ignore the fact someone genuinely think Kris Boyd could've been world class?

I had a good laugh at the suggestion he could have been Scotland's greatest ever striker. He wouldn't have got near a squad in the 1990s, let alone come close to the likes of Dalglish and Law.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are we all just going to ignore the fact someone genuinely think Kris Boyd could've been world class?

5 hours ago, Rugster said:

Who the f**k said that?

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Some daft *** a few pages back.  Can't actually find it now.

On 09/01/2017 at 20:32, Tartantony said:

I think its quite easy to look at that record and the man and think he could have done a lot more. Considering his natural goal scoring ability, he had the potential to be Scotland's greatest ever striker. If he had worked on all the poorer areas of his game when he first broke through he could have been world class but instead he chose to have the mind-set that he still has today and ended up being a good striker in Scotland which means nothing in terms of World football.

When Rangers made the UEFA Cup final in 07/08 he finished the season as Rangers top goal scorer yet was only played in 4 of their 19 European matches. I think he managed 1 goal against Celtic in his entire career as well. Simply put when it came to big matches he was really poor and that's if he was even trusted to start them.

His career has effectively been over since he was 27 years old barring one good season for Killie which is embarrassing for someone with his natural ability.

Only he will know if he had a successful career or not, if his dream/goal was to play for Rangers and score a lot of goals in Scotland then fair enough he can class himself as a success but as a Scotland fan I will always be left with a feeling of "what if" when it comes to Kris Boyd.

World class.

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Imagine the attitude of the Boyds, Fergusons, Browns and so on being replicated among our cyclists, athletes, Andy Murray and so forth.

Imagine the level of public money that our cyclists and athletes get being pumped into individuals in Scottish football.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Imagine the level of public money that our cyclists and athletes get being pumped into individuals in Scottish football.

Scottish football is an incredibly rich sport, to the extent that it even getting the public support / government funding it does causes occasional controversy. It must turnover more than £100M a year when you combine the clubs with the national team and SFA revenues. According to figures in November the average Scottish Premiership salary is £147,000 which is possibly before bonuses and doesn't include all the facilities, coaching and other support a player gets. There must be, what, a few hundred Scottish professional footballers up here?

Meanwhile the UKSport funding to Podium category athletes - the top band - is capped at £65,000. It's entire budget over the 4-year cycle from 2013-2017 was £563M. It funds 1,300 athletes: https://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works

This is an exceedingly crude measure and obviously doesn't compare things consistently.

However, it nevertheless agrees with my initial gut reaction - which is that we can hardly plead poverty as an explanation for our footballers seeming to lag behind other sports. Of course it may be the riches obtainable in football - moreso by moving down south - without reaching an elite or world class standard, in contrast to other sports, is actually part of the problem.

35 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish football is an incredibly rich sport, to the extent that it even getting the public support / government funding it does causes occasional controversy. It must turnover more than £100M a year when you combine the clubs with the national team and SFA revenues. According to figures in November the average Scottish Premiership salary is £147,000 which is possibly before bonuses and doesn't include all the facilities, coaching and other support a player gets. There must be, what, a few hundred Scottish professional footballers up here?

Meanwhile the UKSport funding to Podium category athletes - the top band - is capped at £65,000. It's entire budget over the 4-year cycle from 2013-2017 was £563M. It funds 1,300 athletes: https://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works

This is an exceedingly crude measure and obviously doesn't compare things consistently.

However, it nevertheless agrees with my initial gut reaction - which is that we can hardly plead poverty as an explanation for our footballers seeming to lag behind other sports. Of course it may be the riches obtainable in football - moreso by moving down south - without reaching an elite or world class standard, in contrast to other sports, is actually part of the problem.

I would think that the average salary is a bit misleading in this case though, vast majority of players won't earn near £3k a week in the Premiership. More interesting (and pertinent) would be the median value

"I won the Olympic gold by furiously eating malteasers to the point where I almost choked, thank God for vending machines. It made moving to Spain as a child worth the sacrifice, my mum had identified at an early stage scotland was too full of fruit and vegetables and nowhere near enough saturated fats or salt"
Andy Murray on his springboard to success

Archived