Ayr Utd v Queens Pk

Honestmen

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, well played QP. Probably the better team over the 2 games. Your number 7 and 9 totally ran the show in the first half tonight.

Shocking football from us once again. I hope McCall and the players are embarrassed with those two performances. Job done in the end though.

Couldn't be prouder of the team over the two games. The fact that I'm as gutted as I am about going out of the cup to a Championship side shows just how far we've come. There was very little between the sides over the two legs and we did exceptionally well to get it to penalties after playing most of extra-time with 10 men. Feel for the boys who missed. Every single one of the players ran themselves into the ground tonight. Quite obvious that Ayr weren't at their best over the two games and they'll be pleased to have scraped through. It doesn't really matter how you end up in the hat.

Woah some game! Loved it. The Ayr fans made a decent racket at times but I'm not sure the gloating was in order at the end haha!
Queens Park's lack of fitness compared to the higher level (full time?) Ayr toward the end, but Ayr were poor most of the match. Queens' defending at the end was terrific, a number of outstanding blocks from number 3.
The ref was out of control, gave a soft yellow pretty early on, then had to be consistent and flash the cards all over the place.
Ayr's centre halves improved in the second half, and Balatoni played well eventually. Devlin was good, tireless, worked really hard. Muir in goals for the Spiders had a great game, but had a total shocker for the goal. Shame.
But it was a game that had just about everything: a sending off, an indirect free kick, a Panenka penalty, a gaffe, bloody great entertainment. I'll be back to Hampden this season no bother. Good luck in the next round Ayr!

Terrible game again, QP killed the game, the first hour was mostly the ball being passed between the Queens back 4 and the keeper, 4 players booked for time wasting, 10 men behind the ball.

We flung on 3 attacking players and Queens went even more defensive,  but once we equalized we managed to draw them out a bit more. How Balatoni's header managed to make it over the line is beyond me.

Fleming did what he does and we are through

Not sure why the number 3 (I haven't bothered to find out his name) felt the need to run to the Ayr fans after his penalty and give a giruy, he wasn't important enough to get abuse 

Gutted about the result, especially through penalties. However, the team worked their socks off tonight and defended brilliantly. Great to see Ewan Macpherson put in  another great shift up front, definitely looks a player. Thought ayr's best player was Gary Harkins who looked class throughout the game. Priority now is getting 3 points on Saturday and maintaining the great form we are on. Onwards and upwards.

Terrible game again, QP killed the game, the first hour was mostly the ball being passed between the Queens back 4 and the keeper, 4 players booked for time wasting, 10 men behind the ball.
We flung on 3 attacking players and Queens went even more defensive,  but once we equalized we managed to draw them out a bit more. How Balatoni's header managed to make it over the line is beyond me.
Fleming did what he does and we are through
Not sure why the number 3 (I haven't bothered to find out his name) felt the need to run to the Ayr fans after his penalty and give a giruy, he wasn't important enough to get abuse 

Andy Millen's son Ross.

We were absolutely terrible over those two games. Queens Park only have themselves to blame though, almost as soon as the clock went to 75 minutes they sat even deeper and asked us to come at them.
I think we were there for the taking with our dodgy defence.

Greg Fleming what can you say, the second goal and the penalty shootout summed him up perfectly a bit dodgy but definately a hero of a guy.

McGuffie was great when he came on. I haven't seen him play well from the start yet though so may just not be ready for full games.

Well that was pretty tortuous at times.

As already stated. Queens only had themselves to blame for that. Both our goals were howlers from the keeper, but to be fair he did make a couple of decent saves, but the timewasting from Queens was terrible. Even in the first half it was pretty obvious it was going on.

They also seemed to stop playing when they went a goal up. Had you kept at it you probably would have went further ahead. When we pulled it back to 2-2 you started to have a go again. Crazy stuff. Different story if you weren't in the game and scored a couple but you were quite clearly our equals last night and could have dished out a real embarrassment to us. The game was there for the taking.

We've dished enough cup shocks over the years to know it happens, but I fear we were architects of our own (almost) downfall last night.

Brutal stuff, but we're through. Stirling and Clyde can look forward to their replay knowing they have a real chance of progress. As for us performing enhancing drugs might be the only answer.
 Hopefully the knocks Moore and Devlin picked up aren't serious.

Highlights don't really bear out the worst of the doom and gloom. Looks like Ayr created a bunch of chances and Queen's Park very few. Obviously needing a finisher is nothing new.

Archived